Downtown Winston-Salem Developments

eddard

Winston-Salem has great nightlife potential for downtown. I think the city just needs new and young leadership. from what I understand there is an element that doesnt want nightclubs downtown and would rather for downtown to have a more artsy, professional, sophisticated feel rather than being a wild party town. That attitude has to change. Winston is really shooting itself in the foot because since downtown has limited nightlife options, people are headed over to Greensboro where they are more abundant. And if Greensboro gets this mega entertainment project which could have major venues drawing more national acts even more will head over to Greensboro. The city needs to stop dragging its feet and the fact that a few nightclubs opening up is a good start but leaders need to encourage that kind of development. It just takes a few successful clubs to build the momentum like it did in Greensboro. But Greensboro does have some additional pluses that has helped its downtown nightlife such as the number of colleges on the fringes of downtown (UNCG, A&T, Greensboro College, Bennett College, Elon Law School). Joey Medaloni said about 40% of his clientel at Much are college students It would be nice if Winston had a streetcar line connecting Wake Forest to downtown. Many college students could use the streetcar to go downtown and they woudlnt have to even worry about drinking and driving.

Downtown Winston-Salem is big enough to have a dance clubs disctrict, artsy district, and a sophisticted professional district. Hell they even have room for a few seedy districts. I think they currenlty have one nude strip club downtown now. I agree that the attitude has to change in Winston, but Winston is way ahead of the game in downtown developments compared to gso. If the project goes through for gso, hopefully it will spur more development.

Downtown Winston-Salem is big enough to have a dance clubs disctrict, artsy district, and a sophisticted professional district. Hell they even have room for a few seedy districts. I think they currenlty have one nude strip club downtown now. I agree that the attitude has to change in Winston, but Winston is way ahead of the game in downtown developments compared to gso. If the project goes through for gso, hopefully it will spur more development.

I think both cities are about equal when it comes to development. Ive seen several big and small devlopment planned for dt Winston and the same for Greensboro if you count the potential big mega development, Center Pointe, Southside, South Elm/Lee, Murrow Station and the old Post office site where multiple 6 story residential midrise flats and hotel are planned plus scattered developments such as Arbothouse, 411, Washington, Smother Place, Governors court, Bellemeade townhomes and numerous renovations for residential in buildings along Elm and Market Streets. I can name just as many for Winston which include a couple of highrises. But I think both cities are thriving and with FedEx, Dell, Hondajet and future companies, The Triad's cities have a very bright future ahead :)

Edited by cityboi

I think both cities are about equal when it comes to development. Ive seen several big and small devlopment planned for dt Winston and the same for Greensboro if you count the potential big mega development, Center Pointe, Southside, South Elm/Lee, Murrow Station and the old Post office site where multiple 6 story residential midrise flats and hotel are planned plus scattered developments such as Arbothouse, 411, Washington, Smother Place, Governors court, Bellemeade townhomes and numerous renovations for residential in buildings along Elm and Market Streets. I can name just as many for Winston which include a couple of highrises. But I think both cities are thriving and with FedEx, Dell, Hondajet and future companies, The Triad's cities have a very bright future ahead :)

I think sometimes you are a bit fanitical and unrealistic. I know most of the time you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to downtown Winston-Salem. No, i don't think both cities are equal when it comes to downtown developement. I live in one, and work and in one so I am aware of whats happening in both. Don't get me wrong, I am not for one Triad city verses another, I am just calling things as I see them. The developments and projects in dt Winston are on a higher scale than the few projects in dt Greensboro. I know that The Research Park is committed to bringing 10,000 high paying jobs to dt Winston by year 2020 and maybe even more. This is why there is a greater need for dt housing in Winston.

Lets just hope this mega project pans out for downtown Greensboro; otherwise i don't for see things happeing there at the rate they have occurred in the past. I think downtown Greensboro may be at a plateau and without this so called mega project, downtown development will be very slow over the next 5 to 10 years. Remember the Bellemeade project was cancelled due to lack of interest/sales. I know that nothing, and I mean nothing has sold at Southside in months. Sales at Southside has come to a complete standstill on new and existing homes. It took me 6 months to sale my townhome at Southside. Downtown is not as popular as it once was, and without a high playing job, not many can afford to own a place downtown.

I think sometimes you are a bit fanitical and unrealistic. I know most of the time you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to downtown Winston-Salem. No, i don't think both cities are equal when it comes to downtown developement. I live in one, and work and in one so I am aware of whats happening in both. Don't get me wrong, I am not for one Triad city verses another, I am just calling things as I see them. The developments and projects in dt Winston are on a higher scale than the few projects in dt Greensboro. I know that The Research Park is committed to bringing 10,000 high paying jobs to dt Winston by year 2020 and maybe even more. This is why there is a greater need for dt housing in Winston.

Lets just hope this mega project pans out for downtown Greensboro; otherwise i don't for see things happeing there at the rate they have occurred in the past. I think downtown Greensboro may be at a plateau and without this so called mega project, downtown development will be very slow over the next 5 to 10 years. Remember the Bellemeade project was cancelled due to lack of interest/sales. I know that nothing, and I mean nothing has sold at Southside in months. Sales at Southside has come to a complete standstill on new and existing homes. It took me 6 months to sale my townhome at Southside. Downtown is not as popular as it once was, and without a high playing job, not many can afford to own a place downtown.

right now the research park is the biggest development in DT Winston and its bigger than anything offiically planned in downtown Greensboro...but I was refering to residential development. both cities have projects that are pretty much eqaul in size. I dont think either city has an official project that much bigger in scale than anything in the other city. Ive seen the planned residential developments for Winston and Greensboro and I just dont see it.

but apparantly slow sales arent slowing down developers. It just depends on the prices and who the developers are marketing these condos to. That makes all the difference in the world and its a reason why Murrow Station and City View apartments are going forward. Naturally super expensive condos like the ones proposed for the bellemeade village are going to sell slow. However the proposed affordable condo building in bellemeade sold more than 50% of its units, enough to start construction. Some of those Southside townhomes were $500,000 so yea they are going to sell slow. But enough about Greensboro LOL not trying to hijack this thread :) I think we were talking about nightlife entertainment in Winston.

Edited by cityboi

There evidently is some talk about moving the Hall of Justice to the Phillips Bldg. behind Winston-Tower. County Judges mostly oppose this move, and I have to agree. I think the Hall of Justice should be it's own building, not connected to an office tower. The bldg. also needs to represent the community, and the Phillips Bldg. is about as bland as you can get. I hope the county doesn't pursue this option.

WSJ article about Phillips Bldg. possible replacing the Hall of Justice

While the Phillips Building is a large, vast, cavernous building well suited to filling basic office space needs it suffers from well, being a large vast, cavernous building that is one of the more unappealing buildings downtown. Granted wonderful reengineering has been preformed before on modern buildings (the old Wachovia Building in Greensboro being a case in point) it seems that the Commissioners would be rather unwilling to fork up the money to make it a viable structure. The current Hall of Justice is already a dated eyesore i'd hated to see county courtrooms moving into yet another blunt looking modern building. That would leave the City Hall and the jail of all places pulling the weight in terms of maintaining the architectural quality of downtown Winston-Salem's little government sector over there. Perhaps they can come up with something better but I doubt it.

at first i though it was a good idea, but now i agree with the judges. a city's courthouse should be attractive, and prominent. unless the phillips building is renovated inside and out, then there should be new construction.

Look up the new Courthouse in Mecklenburg... obviously Forsyth County does not need anything that big... but that is what a Court House is Supposed to look like.... independant, strong, imposing, balanced... looking at the Phillips building my question is... who is the insider pushing this idea and how is he connected... The Phillips building would be an ill suited embarassment of a Court House...

• 3 weeks later...

The city had to end the weekly party for teens, called 'The Drop', at Corpening Plaza early Friday night after many teens got unruly. They were some cursing and swinging at officers. Ten were arrested after the concert ended 30 minutes early.

WSJ article about Friday's problems at 'the Drop'

I hate to say this, cause I used to be a teenager without anything to do in WS many years ago, but a couple of Fridays ago I was driving thru downtown at the time 'the Drop' ended. I was held up for 15 minutes as a 'herd' of teenagers came up Second Street @ Marshall. They were climbing light poles, trees, and through the middle of the street. They jumped on my car and other cars around me, they were cursing and yelling (I know general teen stuff) but I felt Very uncomfortable. There were no police around this group for at least 5 minutes. Police finally came and moved the 'herd' of teenagers along.

I can't be very positive about this event after this experience and just hope all these teenagers went home relatively quickly and didn't harass other downtown events, businesses, or their patrons. :angry:

A 13-year old girl was shot in the face on Trade Street after she left The Drop last night:

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...d=1173352001381

I hate to say this, but I DON'T support my tax dollars being 'wasted' on 'The Drop.' It needs to be cancelled. I was not impressed from my prior experience in downtown after this event. If this keeps up, someone will be killed and downtown's weekend resurgence will have a serious black-eye.

I wish you could hold an event for teenagers that they would appreciate and not cause trouble.

*just to add a note, this shooting occured over a mile from where 'the Drop' is held. I think our community needs to do quite a bit of soul-searching to continue to do this. I have not been impressed with this event so far as I don't think it's all inclusive of the teen community.*

Edited by suburban george3

i think this was a smart decision. the fair has way more space, and better controlled pick-up drop-off locations. this also discourages walking which seems to be the root of the problems with the downtown location.

Let's hope.... I want to be supportive of this but I'm already soured based on prior experience.... I SO DON'T WANT TO BE A FUDDY DUDDY GROWN UP!!! :o

I grew up in Winston and had "nothing" to do... I would have loved some sort of Concert series for teenagers at the time... but there was (and may still well be) something wrong with this crowd... typical teenager stuff is one thing... but this was gettign out of hand... The Drop really stemmed from last year towards the end of the year there were sevearl issues with the Jazz on 4th concert... large groups of teenagers, refusing to disburse after the concert... I was up there one night and watched what could only be described as a mini-riot... This year here comes the drop... I don;t know that moving the location is going to fix the problems... but I also don;t know that cancelling the event will solve the problesm either.. at least the event is (ideally) a safe controlled area for teens to hang out at. The shooting and the assaults have generally not happened at the Drop...

The shooting and the assaults have generally not happened at the Drop...

True but they happened from the kids coming from the event. I don't see the event succeeding at its new location as it is far away from where most of the teens that regularly attended lived and it's not in downtown. That was part of the appeal of going to the event, because it was downtown.

There's a rumor going around that the county will do a major overhaul on the Phillips Building by replacing the hideous exterior with glass, giving it an updated and modern appearance.

If this is indeed the truth I hope the county aims for LEED certification.

There's a rumor going around that the county will do a major overhaul on the Phillips Building by replacing the hideous exterior with glass, giving it an updated and modern appearance.

If this is indeed the truth I hope the county aims for LEED certification.

some still dont like this plan but i think its a good solution...as long as its fully renovated much like centre pointe in greensboro. downtown east of main street is somewhat left out of the revitalization activity. having this building come back to life would be a big step in the right direction.

sounds like the drop is doing a lot better at the fairgrounds now...so well that theyre adding dates in celebration of the NBTF. too bad it couldnt work out downtown. i know the city wont bring it back.

I hope it continues to go well.. I don't think this would have ever worked well downtown, two different types of crowds that just don't blend well..