SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I'm really excited about this project. Between the road changes here and the eventual 4-way intersection at Carson, mobility in the area will be vastly improved. But even more than that, I'm thrilled by the possibility that some affordable housing will actually stay in the area.

And they seemed to imply some of the additional development will be affordable housing with the rest will be market rate. I have always been very much for mixed income housing developments, as the social benefits of affordability for the poor are met while avoiding concentrations of poverty. It isn't like this area wasn't already mixed in income, but at least it retains some of the the public housing units while the aesthetics, connectivity and density are improved dramatically.

This Caldwell-Cleveland disconnect was always a mild irritation for me, as it was such an unnecessary break. I'm glad they are fixing that to say the least.

Incidentally, I wonder if they will rename these three blocks of Caldwell in Dilworth to Cleveland. While it makes some sense, since this stretch of Caldwell is disconnected from the Caldwell uptown, it will mark an interesting historical shift for this street.

I had the opportunity to research this stretch of Caldwell last year (some of you know why), and it was originally called Commonwealth St when Dilworth was first built and was a separate town. It was renamed to Caldwell when Dilworth became annexed to Charlotte. So this will be the 3rd street name for this street. Not that that is a reason to not make the name change, just thought I'd share the trivia.

File this under "it's the little things that count"

The sidewalk on both sides of Bland Street between South and Tryon is being completed. This stretch has always been aggravating to navigate as a pedestrian, and it very much helps improve the situation for pedestrians. The project includes new sidewalk along the Gin Mill/Tavern on the Tracks parking lot and along the Greek Isles parking lot. If you're in a wheelchair, though, I wouldn't recommend using the sidewalk by the Millennium. It turns a corner at something like a 30 degree (steep) angle - it's absurdly dangerous.

Sadly, the Millennium has proven that you can do worse than the Circle. Much worse.

In what sense? It may be a little on the unoriginal side architecturally, but the fact that all of the ground floor units open up onto the street makes it a much better building than Circle. I originally thought that these were going to be gated patio areas, but it looks like they are the front doors to these units. Engaging/aactivating the street, even if it isn't with retail, is still an important feature.

If you're speaking strictly about the street level, I think it's a wash. The Circle has units at ground level along the LRT and Bland, Millennium along the LRT and S Tryon. In both cases, though, the unit patios are basically one and the same with the sidewalk. We're not talking brownstones here, we're talking about in-your-face uncomfortable patios directly on the sidewalk. And the Circle at least made their sidewalks safe for everyone - the Millennium has a sidewalk sloped so steeply at one corner, it is dangerously impassible by anyone in a wheelchair.

Anyway, my beef with Millennium is primarily architectural. Along the sidewalk - and I do mean right on the sidewalk - they've covered the building with massive oversized downspouts, electric boxes and a lot of really terrible detailing. I was walking along there one day and touched one of the window frames that looked like it was chipped, and the whole assembly deflected about an inch and a half when I touched it.

And Once you get away from the building - say, a couple of blocks, you get treated to a massive cooling tower on top of the equally massive parking deck. When you look into Southend from Uptown, it's plain as day. It's like they didn't even consider that the building would be viewable from a distance.

I rode by Millennium again today. I still think its a good project. Is it perfect? No. But even the crappiest patio is better than the best blank wall. Just compare Millennium to Camden SouthEnd. That building is God awful in pretty much every way. The design of Millennium, while not perfect, is still better.

Circle ignores South Blvd entirely. There are gates that let you into the 3 courtyard areas. There should be shops there on the ground floor, and at least one at Bland at the LRT. Residential units facing the train tracks mystifies me. Why would anyone want to live facing the tracks? Every normal city has retail near its transit stations. Bland and East/West are two where it should be mandatory.

In other news, the city finally built sidewalks on the remaining parts of Bland St.

Incidentally, I wonder if they will rename these three blocks of Caldwell in Dilworth to Cleveland. While it makes some sense, since this stretch of Caldwell is disconnected from the Caldwell uptown, it will mark an interesting historical shift for this street.

I had the opportunity to research this stretch of Caldwell last year (some of you know why), and it was originally called Commonwealth St when Dilworth was first built and was a separate town. It was renamed to Caldwell when Dilworth became annexed to Charlotte. So this will be the 3rd street name for this street. Not that that is a reason to not make the name change, just thought I'd share the trivia.

Interestingly, Caldwell never connected to Cleveland. Caldwell stopped at Arlington St, which used to extend to Euclid between Templeton St and Mt. Vernon St. IMO they should change everything south of the Belk to Cleveland, but I expect the City will live up to tradition and do whatever is most confusing for motorists.

Here are a couple of treats for everyone. First is a map of Dilworth from 1955, and second is an aerial of part of Dilworth including the area in discussion (Cleveland/Caldwell St) from 1938. The 1955 map is rotated 45 degrees so Tryon St runs north-south. Another fun fact is that Park Rd in Dilworth used to be called Avondale Avenue. While this is getting a little off topic for this thread, I am curious to know why they changed it to Park Rd.

dilworth1955.jpg

Sblvd_ca1938.jpg

Yeah, I noticed that too on the historic map. Frankly, I do think it probably makes sense at this point to just rename the whole stretch in Dilworth to Cleveland. There is not much on that street as far as addresses. Soooo many streetnames have changed over time as the neighborhoods have changed (Avondale to Park, Gold to Summit, Dilworth Dr to Scott Ave, etc.), so it seems to make sense now that this stretch of Caldwell is separated from the other Caldwell relatively permanently, and is connecting (for the first time) with Cleveland.

Anyway, my beef with Millennium is primarily architectural. Along the sidewalk - and I do mean right on the sidewalk - they've covered the building with massive oversized downspouts, electric boxes and a lot of really terrible detailing. I was walking along there one day and touched one of the window frames that looked like it was chipped, and the whole assembly deflected about an inch and a half when I touched it.

Pictures are always so much more effective than words.

SSPX0249-1.jpg

Edited by tozmervo

• 2 weeks later...

^ The project looks fine. Nothing particularly attractive but not ugly either. What I am really not crazy about is plopping down pure residential into what is Southend's nascent commercial district. If only there could have been some innovation. IDK, storefront retail on the ground level and residential above perhaps. Yeah, the current environment is not exactly conducive to attracting new retail but who knows what could have been? Another concern is the harm these condos may do to the street's vibe. That stretch is a popular hangout spot for the skaters and in general there is a nice mellow buzz that I enjoy. I can hear the complaints from the new residents about the skaters and noise from Common Market and more already. Can You?

In general, it's shameful that NONE of these recent projects have retail in what is supposed to be a TOD mixed use zone.

Edited by Forrest

^really good points, i agree fully.

as for the 9 townhome owners...one would hope anyone buying in that location is aware what they're moving into, and are doing it because they love that corner's vibe already. if they come in and start persecuting the skaters then i say they deserve whatever flaming bags of poo wind up on their doorstep :)

as for the 9 townhome owners...one would hope anyone buying in that location is aware what they're moving into, and are doing it because they love that corner's vibe already. if they come in and start persecuting the skaters then i say they deserve whatever flaming bags of poo wind up on their doorstep :)

Nobody is really 100% aware of what they're moving in to so I think it's kind of harsh to say that anyone deserves crap on their step because they don't want skaters outside their home. If anything it'd be hilarious if they did it and then if they tried anything again it's kind of obvious who the culprits are. There was recently a case in Colorado of a teen doing this same thing and they were arrested and charged with arson, criminal mischief, and reckless endangerment. You buy property you have some rights as to what goes on outside your front door. How'd you like it if suddenly the area outside your front door became a haven for a group of people you found annoying?

The same would be more true if there would have been retail on this corner in the future. You complain that there is none, but it'd probably be worse for your skater friends as most businesses don't take kindly to people impeding the flow of pedestrians into their store or by their storefronts.

People have rights whether they are home owner or business owner. Don't like it, go to a skate park. This may sound harsh, but life's not fair.

Edited by DPK

^hey, i was kidding about that part (mostly)

that block is a safe haven for those kids, and our few suburban skateparks in this city are no substitute. i'd hate to see it quieted down, "cleaned up", or otherwise lose any of its character due to a few people who would clearly be more comfortable in just about any other neighborhood south of uptown. they're not suddenly finding the area outside their door a haven for a group of people they find annoying, they're moving into an area already full of people they know they'll find annoying. there's a big difference, owner or not. there's a freaking skate shop across the street, so expect skaters.

again, i don't think this will be an issue, i think anyone buying a home there is doing so because they like the corner as it is now, and the skaters only add to the good perception that most people have of it.

Oh gross....each unit is going to have their own garage. I hope they will at least be oriented away from Camden. Garage doors really deaden street life. I will not miss the surface lot and the density by itself fills a hole but hope the project does not look like suburbia smushed together.

That block never really had time to grow into it's full funkiness before condos moved in. For years it was just Phat Burrito and Niche as mainstays and then gentrification swooped in.