Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

2 hours ago, tozmervo said:

So I am empathetic in some ways that there is never a perfect weekend to shut it down, just bad weekends and less bad weekends. To Uptown's credit, there's virtually always some festival or stadium or arena event every weekend. Having said that, I feel like they did the shutdown in early November one year and that seemed easy enough. 

I think it was 2014, maybe 2015, when CATS picked - of all weekends - Charlotte Pride to do the shutdown. That did not happen again. 

I just feel like for major community gatherings, if you assume that transit is integral to mobility, you keep transit working.  Just signals it's not to be relied on and thus transit never fulfills the role that our investments in it presume it should take.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, RANYC said:

I just feel like for major community gatherings, if you assume that transit is integral to mobility, you keep transit working.  Just signals it's not to be relied on and thus transit never fulfills the role that our investments in it presume it should take.

Oh, for sure. This is definitely a byproduct of not ponying up for the premium of doing the maintenance during the early AM hours when the system isn't running anyway. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

https://edocs.deq.nc.gov/WasteManagement/DocView.aspx?id=1871226&dbid=0&repo=WasteManagement&searchid=6308a206-8d68-4507-94ba-ddb157c93b1c

This is about Duke parking deck site on Mint two very tall apartment towers proposed there.  From NC brownfield site.  On my way to Raleigh and discuss amongst yourselves 

I'm guessing it's still pretty early (so subject to significant change), but from the drawing it looks like the two towers would be if similar in height to the FNB tower (370ish)?  I'm all for density, but I'd rather see these towers built on a surface lot somewhere.    But these 2 combined with the completion of Legacy Union, and the old Duke HQ conversion is going to make that corner feel very Urban.

• Like 3

Living next/near to a high school football field is trouble and I cannot imagine living at this location.

I worked at Independence HS for years and home football games featured our WWI artillery cannon that shot a tennis ball into the woods when we scored and accompanied the black powder explosion. Plus the band and the summer band practice on the field and other athletic events ,the general shouting at a school and the ANNOUNCEMENTS broadcast and intractable traffic for every event and every AM and PM. A serious problem for home sales in the adjoining neighborhood. I am sure this will be different.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/13/2024 at 11:31 PM, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Great photos of the renovations. Man, really wish Charlotte could have a legit observatory or something. Our skyline is large enough and too nice not to allow the public to have a view from above as well. Fahrenheit, Nuvole, and merchant n trade are nice but doesn’t quite satisfy the Birds Eye view craving that you get in other cities from high above. This particular space at Wells I’ve never been to, but reminds me to a lesser extent of the London sky garden. BOACC could create an iconic restaurant or observation level for the public up there. However, BOA doesn’t even allow the public to take pictures of their tower so good luck wishing for access to upper floors lol. 

I agree! I think every city with a skyscraper over 600’ should always have an observation deck in one of the tallest buildings. Axios has additional photos of the renovation! 
https://www.axios.com/local/charlotte/2024/06/12/wells-fargo-550-south-tryon-uptown

On 6/14/2024 at 1:27 PM, rumphy said:

The owner ANiMAL is ATL based, Australian-born developers and architect. 

website 
Summary: ANiMAL is a fresh imprint, a new way of approaching real-estate by tracking liveability and uncovering future habitats. Drawn to evolving places, we believe in close partnerships and selective investment to create shared opportunities for unparalleled growth.

Article mentions they have $200M ready to invest in the southeast. ATL Biz Journal or The Real Deal

image from ANiMAL site:

IMG_1614.jpeg

I hope the final design looks close to this! 

Edited by DJ8hep
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I too got some photos of the new crane rising the Daniel Corp. apartment building  at N Graham and 6th.  

and a mural I don't remember seeing before at Discovery Place.  

20240622_102620.jpg

20240622_102655.jpg

20240622_102729.jpg

20240622_103204.jpg

That Back to the Future mural was just outside my window, how I miss it since my wife moved me to the burbs!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1