New Walgreens Development at Michigan and Fuller

n_wasmiller

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am infuriated that these guys have taken what was a run-down, but still usable, city grocery, and have left it to rot while they blow dollars on other stores and projects!

The economy excuse is just a cover. I honestly predict they will just dump the property within the year due to some contrived reason.

I am also beyond frustrated with Family Fare/Spartan. First they don't built the Michigan/Fuller store which is very close to my house, then they close the Eastern store which is the closest store to my work and the store I've done most of my shopping at for the past couple years. I liked being able to go to that smaller store, it was a lot easier than trying to run through Meijer on my lunch hour.

John-

I read that while the incentive is over a year old, they had to work out what constituted eligibility. That was decided this week and they thought the incentives could create up to 3000 jobs. So it might be "in play" now.

Joe

Joe,

That's over a year old. I haven't heard of any grocery chains wanting to take advantage of it. I guess it's not a large enough incentive.

http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/08/few_...ocate_in_l.html

~John

There's a new michigan incentive package to build grocery stores in underserved areas (urban or rural). I wonder if this will help bring this project out of a deep freeze?

Joe

I hope so. A grocery store on the corner of wealthy and division would be great. A BRT station in that area would help too.

• 1 month later...

I see Spartan Stores has been getting a lot of good press in the media the last day or so regarding the new Spartan Stores YMCA at Metro Hospital. They keep talking about how great this will be for the community. How come nobody asks them to explain how an abandoned and deteriorating storefront at the corner of Michigan and Fuller is great for the community too?

:angry:

I see Spartan Stores has been getting a lot of good press in the media the last day or so regarding the new Spartan Stores YMCA at Metro Hospital. They keep talking about how great this will be for the community. How come nobody asks them to explain how an abandoned and deteriorating storefront at the corner of Michigan and Fuller is great for the community too?

:angry:

I think Spartan has just been digging themselves lately. I am not quite so sure why we need another YMCA either. From what Ive heard a lot of the YMCA's in the area - like the one in Grandville, have been getting a lot slower lately. The YMCA is non-profit because it used to go into areas that were on the poorer side - now it seems the opposite. The YMCA no longer seems like well deserved charity - though at one time it may have been. If Family Fare wants to donate money to help the community...I think there would be better ways. <_<

Joe,

That is just a nonsensical comment. I think YMCA's do a lot of good, no matter where they are located. Lower costs, a lot of cheap youth activities, etc. Hate on Spartan all you want for leaving property undeveloped, but don't hate on them for a cause you don't agree with. Companies like Spartan could just as easily stop donating money "just in case" in this economy, but it looks like Spartan is trying to do good in the community which is great, regardless if you like the place or not.

Joe

I think Spartan has just been digging themselves lately. I am not quite so sure why we need another YMCA either. From what Ive heard a lot of the YMCA's in the area - like the one in Grandville, have been getting a lot slower lately. The YMCA is non-profit because it used to go into areas that were on the poorer side - now it seems the opposite. The YMCA no longer seems like well deserved charity - though at one time it may have been. If Family Fare wants to donate money to help the community...I think there would be better ways. <_<

Joe,

That is just a nonsensical comment. I think YMCA's do a lot of good, no matter where they are located. Lower costs, a lot of cheap youth activities, etc. Hate on Spartan all you want for leaving property undeveloped, but don't hate on them for a cause you don't agree with. Companies like Spartan could just as easily stop donating money "just in case" in this economy, but it looks like Spartan is trying to do good in the community which is great, regardless if you like the place or not.

Joe

My point wasnt to make it a hateful on the YMCA. As a gym I like the YMCA - I am a member. The YMCA is more expensive than most gyms though, which is one reason why I think its membership seems lower at handful of gyms. But yes the youth activities are good. It has been hopping around in my mind lately though whether or not the YMCA is as beneficial to the community as a whole as it once may have been and if it deserves the donations compared to other gyms? Maybe more people benefit than I realize. My comment may have been wrong...just something thats been in my mind lately.

Anyways I dont mean to go off topic from Spartan to the Y.

It is good to see Spartan giving money, but yes personally I would rather see it go somewhere else - just Spartan has been irritating as a whole already.

My point wasnt to make it a hateful on the YMCA. As a gym I like the YMCA - I am a member. The YMCA is more expensive than most gyms though, which is one reason why I think its membership seems lower at handful of gyms. But yes the youth activities are good. It has been hopping around in my mind lately though whether or not the YMCA is as beneficial to the community as a whole as it once may have been and if it deserves the donations compared to other gyms? Maybe more people benefit than I realize. My comment may have been wrong...just something thats been in my mind lately.

Anyways I dont mean to go off topic from Spartan to the Y.

It is good to see Spartan giving money, but yes personally I would rather see it go somewhere else - just Spartan has been irritating as a whole already.

Yeah I agree with you about the YMCA and Spartan.

YMCA. The Young Men's Christian Association. OK, fine, but I don't see anything Christian about it. It's just another gym. Promoting health and fitness for families is obviously important, but I do think they should live up to their name and go into inner cities more. The one inner city Y we had in GR was the West Leanord YMCA. It was in a lower income neighborhood, providing activities for a lot of kids who might otherwise be getting into trouble. Why did they close this YMCA, just to open one downtown that is obviously marketed more heavily to upper-income downtown residents than to west side residents? Doesn't seem like something a so-called religious organization should be doing.

A little bit more on topic though, is Spartan. They own Family Fair, right? I am totally baffled that Family Fair is getting into a legal fight with neighbors over a proposed store in Jenison. They said they need to be there because they are a "neighborhood store." Then why the hell are they so hell-bent on fighting neighbors tooth and nail to give them what they don't want? Definitely doesn't go well with the basic marketing concept of retail. Someone want to explain this to me?

It may be 'marketed' to the more heavily to upper-income downtown residents, however they offer a TON of programs that are aimed to help inner-city youth and do just what you said (providing activities for a lot of kids who might otherwise be getting into trouble). It is very easy to get program and membership scholarships if you are of the lower income neighborhood.

A little bit more on topic though, is Spartan. They own Family Fair, right? I am totally baffled that Family Fair is getting into a legal fight with neighbors over a proposed store in Jenison. They said they need to be there because they are a "neighborhood store." Then why the hell are they so hell-bent on fighting neighbors tooth and nail to give them what they don't want? Definitely doesn't go well with the basic marketing concept of retail. Someone want to explain this to me?

It's simple: If they build it, we will come.

Just ask WalMart on Alpine (or anywhere else).

People kick and scream, but that's a vocal minority.

Once it's built, the silent majority will shop there.

I don't necessarily agree with it mind you...

My opinion: If they have a plan, and the plan says "this area should be ballfields" then it should stay ball-fields. If the plan says "this area should be retail" then they should build over the ball-fields and move them somewhere else.

• 3 months later...

Looks like Spartan has forgotten about the new Michigan Street store. They have plans to open three new stores but this isn't one of them.

Spartan talks to analysts

That's pretty darn bogus. They were only too happy to have the all the positive press when they made their announcement. Can we change the title of this thread to "Spartan/D&W say screw you to city and refuse to build Fresh Market 'flagship store' east of Medical Mile"?

Looks like Spartan has forgotten about the new Michigan Street store. They have plans to open three new stores but this isn't one of them.

Spartan talks to analysts

This makes me so mad. I'm really tired of going by the closed up building. I've pretty much stopped shopping at Family Fare since they closed the one that was close to where I work. As much as I would prefer to shop at a smaller store than Meijer I'm getting ready to completely stop shopping at all Spartan stores.

Title edited. ;) You listening Spartan Stores?

That's pretty darn bogus. They were only too happy to have the all the positive press when they made their announcement. Can we change the title of this thread to "Spartan/D&W say screw you to city and refuse to build Fresh Market 'flagship store' east of Medical Mile"?

• 4 weeks later...

I heard that Plum Market is looking at coming to Grand Rapids and possibly near downtown. I love this market. www.plummarket.com It is based in Michigan and a true gem. If you haven't been, think Whole Foods format. I'm wondering if this might give Spartan enough pressure to act on their promise.

I heard that Plum Market is looking at coming to Grand Rapids and possibly near downtown. I love this market. www.plummarket.com It is based in Michigan and a true gem. If you haven't been, think Whole Foods format. I'm wondering if this might give Spartan enough pressure to act on their promise.

Do you have any substantiation for this?! Seriously, Plum is so much better than Whole Foods it makes my head hurt. :)

Don't be pulling my chain, a Plum market here would placate the people asking for national "medium-box" retailers like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, and keep those of us who prefer to shop at a Michigan-owned business happy too.

I would like to second the thoughts suydam added to this - a Plum Market here, especially if they are considering a center city location would be awesome. I just sent their headquarters an email pleading our case and plan on following it up with a phone call tomorrow. If we could get just 10 - 20 (or more) UP-ers to do the same...

Since this market remains untapped with that type of store, I would much rather it was a Michigan based company. Some might dispute the untapped statement, citing the Fresh Market on 28th, near Costco. I maintain that had they located their store in a more urban setting, they would be open today - great store, horrible location. But I digress - take a minute and send an email - it can't hurt.

Some might dispute the untapped statement, citing the Fresh Market on 28th, near Costco. I maintain that had they located their store in a more urban setting, they would be open today - great store, horrible location.

Exactly right. Fresh Market chose a pretty terrible location for their store, which led to their demise. I've written many letters to Trader Joe's begging for them to put a '2 buck chuck' store in Grand Rapids. We certainly have the demographics for one of their stores to be a rocking success, and since Aldi is the parent company, I'm sure they could use the distribution chain they have in place to supply the store. Too bad they don't offer franchises, because I would go out on the limb and build and run one.

Exactly right. Fresh Market chose a pretty terrible location for their store, which led to their demise. I've written many letters to Trader Joe's begging for them to put a '2 buck chuck' store in Grand Rapids. We certainly have the demographics for one of their stores to be a rocking success, and since Aldi is the parent company, I'm sure they could use the distribution chain they have in place to supply the store. Too bad they don't offer franchises, because I would go out on the limb and build and run one.

Before you try to convince a national chain to locate here (TJ's) check out Plum Market.

Their store in West Bloomfield is fantastic, easily the nicest grocery store I've ever shopped in.

Heck, their focus on Michigan-based product is something we'd never get from a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.

Shopping at Plum means gourmet stuff from Zingerman's, Hudsonville Ice Cream, Michigan beer, Michigan produce, Michigan dairy, Better Maid chips, etc. etc.

I'll gladly send an email to Plum pleading our case.

Archived