New Walgreens Development at Michigan and Fuller

n_wasmiller

Frankly, I think it's nice that private business is asking anyone for opinions about what to do with private property.

I think this should be the norm and not the exception. And that is the difference between a neighborhood hardware store, like Rylee's, and a giant home improvement store. The neighborhood store relies on the people of it's immediate neighborhood to support them, so they actually care what they think before they make a decision like this. Not to mention that lots of people actually LIVE right by the store because it's not in the middle of a GIGANTIC strip mall.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course it's not. Should we have these types of meetings at the Van Andel so everyone from Wyoming can come and weigh in with comments?

Frankly, I think it's nice that private business is asking anyone for opinions about what to do with private property.

Not really sure that the snarky comment was necessary.

What i was saying is that the meeting on the 24th is for the FHNA neighborhood and while i'm sure Redstone may appreciate all of UP's comments they may be better expressed via email.

FHNA has been communicating with Rylee's/Redstone for a while now and Rylee's has more than proved that they are one of the best neighborhood stores in GR. I'm looking forward to their new location.

Not really sure that the snarky comment was necessary.

What i was saying is that the meeting on the 24th is for the FHNA neighborhood and while i'm sure Redstone may appreciate all of UP's comments they may be better expressed via email.

FHNA has been communicating with Rylee's/Redstone for a while now and Rylee's has more than proved that they are one of the best neighborhood stores in GR. I'm looking forward to their new location.

I am not suprirsed to hear that FHNA has been in contact with Rylees and Redstone for awhile now. They've always done a good job communicating with both the residents and businesses in the area. As a former resident and board member, I can attest to that! :thumbsup: The addition of both the D&W and new Rylees will be a huge plus to those that live in the area.

• 2 weeks later...

RapidGrowthMedia has an article about the Rylees move with a few more details and a rendering:

"Plans call for a garden center, expanded housewares center, mower repair, and a new store specialty, organization options for condo and apartment dwellers. The second story will house administrative offices and one or two apartments overlooking Fuller Park. Terpstra hopes to extend the walkability and bike-ability of the Fulton Heights and Midtown neighborhoods and decrease traffic congestion on Michigan by adding a

• 1 month later...

Has anybody heard anything on this project? They seem to be pretty tight lipped. I thought Duthlers would be down by now.

I get the impression that they are in no hurry. This month's "Grand Rapids Magazine" states something of the effect that the project will move forward (not quoting) when the time is right/when economic conditions are right.

I get the impression that they are in no hurry. This month's "Grand Rapids Magazine" states something of the effect that the project will move forward (not quoting) when the time is right/when economic conditions are right.

2pos1uo.jpg

Statements like this always come off as: "This project is near death, but we don't want people to lose hope yet" to me.

That bothers me too. When are economic conditions not good for groceries? People need food no matter how the economy is doing and now the Duthlers has left to make room for D&W and they are in no hurry to capture those shoppers? Or maybe they are saying "we're going to sit on it until a couple thousand higher income people move in to the area" Oh well, I've still got my Family Fare on Leaonard & Fuller to shop at so they are getting my money anyway.

That bothers me too. When are economic conditions not good for groceries? People need food no matter how the economy is doing and now the Duthlers has left to make room for D&W and they are in no hurry to capture those shoppers? Or maybe they are saying "we're going to sit on it until a couple thousand higher income people move in to the area" Oh well, I've still got my Family Fare on Leaonard & Fuller to shop at so they are getting my money anyway.

It is not so much the economic conditions of groceries is bad...its the economic condition as a whole including construction and operations. As we know energy cost are through the roof. It takes a lot of gas to run the trucks that supply the stores and probably even more electricity to keep it running up to standard.

Plus with several other construction projects at various stages, Spartan needs to make sure its growth is fiscally responsible and in order. I just read a blurb reviewing fiscal 2008 and an outlook for fiscal 2009. The company has a defined list of priorities it wishes to accomplish for the coming year including 2 or 3 different new stores and/or store replacements plus several re-models on top of what they have already formally announced.

I could be wrong but I honestly do believe they aren't in any rush. They also are busy getting the Knapp store off the ground, which probably takes priority considering it was announced long before the DT store. The company will also try to somehow resolve the Northland Family Fare issue which I assume would also take precedent. This doesn't even include the projects that involve the Glen's Markets up north and the continuous absorption, transition, and re-branding of the Felpaush stores.

It is not so much the economic conditions of groceries is bad...its the economic condition as a whole including construction and operations. As we know energy cost are through the roof. It takes a lot of gas to run the trucks that supply the stores and probably even more electricity to keep it running up to standard.

Good point about the construction economics. Although I don't think waiting is going to help them lower construction costs.

I think rising fuel prices are even more of an incentive to build an urban grocery store like that. I think people will be less likely to drive out to some super center to save 10 cents on some product when they're burning an extra $10 worth of gas by not shopping locally. I'll stop myself there before going into my crazy rant about peak oil and the increasing importants of walkability and shopping locally.

At my former Twp planner gig, we had a Farmer Jack as an applicant. Raw land build, with site clearing, removal of some vestigial MH uses, etc. Big project.

The applicant revealed that in groceries, they make most of their profit off the holidays. Said that if the store wasn't open in time for Thanksgiving, they may as well wait a year.

Druthler's may well have closed prematurely, but that doesn't mean that the new retailer could be in there and all punch-listed by November.

HTH

At my former Twp planner gig, we had a Farmer Jack as an applicant. Raw land build, with site clearing, removal of some vestigial MH uses, etc. Big project.

The applicant revealed that in groceries, they make most of their profit off the holidays. Said that if the store wasn't open in time for Thanksgiving, they may as well wait a year.

Druthler's may well have closed prematurely, but that doesn't mean that the new retailer could be in there and all punch-listed by November.

HTH

That makes sense with general retail, but why is it that way with grocery stores? I mean I can see some increased sales for things such as turkeys, but do people really eat that much more food during the holiday season? Or do people give presents of ground beef or other food good for Christmas in some families?

That makes sense with general retail, but why is it that way with grocery stores? I mean I can see some increased sales for things such as turkeys, but do people really eat that much more food during the holiday season? Or do people give presents of ground beef or other food good for Christmas in some families?

Having worked in the grocery business...yes, there is really that much of a difference. If you have to open after Christmas, you might as well wait until Spring for Easter or for Memorial Day.

It's not gift food, but providing for guests and family. Just check out any grocery store the third week of November. And it's not just the number of shoppers; their carts are full. "Do we have muffin cups? Better get some more. Nutmeg. Flour. Another dozen eggs." All the cupboard staples needed for "holiday baking," or mixes, ready-made slice & bake cookies, and other "timesavers." (Don't get me started on the frozen crust-free PB&J white bread pouches.)

Also check the groaning board in the breakroom at almost any workplace. Offices hold potlucks. Vendors bring gifts. It's kindof crazy.

For years I have inventoried my HBA (shampoo and stuff) around Halloween, and stocked up on anything running low just so I don't have to make a Meijer run and face the crazy crowds.

And it's not just the Christmas holiday, it's "the holidays" with more reasons to celebrate.

Grocers experience a minor bump for the winter football holiday, and another around Easter depending on when it falls.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Quick question: I know the economy is less than stellar right now, but if Spartan Stores has the money to buy up the old little league baseball fields in Georgetown Twp, build a new Family Fare store AND purchase property and pay to build a fancy new sports park to replace the little league fields they are bulldozing, why is the store at Michigan and Fuller going nowhere?

I mean, they got a lot of kudos and good press when they announced this deal. It's about time they got some negative publicity for failing to follow through on it. Every time I drive by there I shake my head at the fact that all they've done is uglify that corner by creating a big vacant grocery store.

Quick question: I know the economy is less than stellar right now, but if Spartan Stores has the money to buy up the old little league baseball fields in Georgetown Twp, build a new Family Fare store AND purchase property and pay to build a fancy new sports park to replace the little league fields they are bulldozing, why is the store at Michigan and Fuller going nowhere?

I mean, they got a lot of kudos and good press when they announced this deal. It's about time they got some negative publicity for failing to follow through on it. Every time I drive by there I shake my head at the fact that all they've done is uglify that corner by creating a big vacant grocery store.

Couldn't agree more...it bugs me too now that I live in that area. Even though Spartan bills themselves as "Your Neighborhood Store" and seems like their niche has been more smaller stores by where people live, it seems like they're headed down the big box road. Closing two stores in G-Town to build one bigger one further out and expanding the one on Kalamazoo and 60th only to shut down the one at 52nd and Eastern (which I lived by most of my life... :cry:=( ) If they just build big stores out in the 'burbs that you have to drive to, then what's the appeal when there's a Meijer next door? I wish they'd fulfill their plans, but at the same time, I don't want them to then shut down the store on Fulton. It seems like thats the way they do it now, though. I agree, if you're gonna announce, then come through on it.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about grocery stores and maybe it's just reality of being competitive and that's how they stay in business. If that's true, it stinks that neighborhood groceries are dying. =(

Couldn't agree more...it bugs me too now that I live in that area. Even though Spartan bills themselves as "Your Neighborhood Store" and seems like their niche has been more smaller stores by where people live, it seems like they're headed down the big box road. Closing two stores in G-Town to build one bigger one further out and expanding the one on Kalamazoo and 60th only to shut down the one at 52nd and Eastern (which I lived by most of my life... :cry:=( ) If they just build big stores out in the 'burbs that you have to drive to, then what's the appeal when there's a Meijer next door? I wish they'd fulfill their plans, but at the same time, I don't want them to then shut down the store on Fulton. It seems like thats the way they do it now, though. I agree, if you're gonna announce, then come through on it.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about grocery stores and maybe it's just reality of being competitive and that's how they stay in business. If that's true, it stinks that neighborhood groceries are dying. =(

Having been in the grocery business and at one time an old time D&W and then Spartan employee, I can tell you that I believe you are correct in your assessment. Their supposed niche is neighborhood stores but they've closed or sold most of their stores that I would consider to be located central to any kind of actual neighborhood. What Spartan is failing to realize is that they are actually really behind trend. Big box and grocery store plazas have been around for 20 to 30 years now. Progressive business trends now are actually focusing back on the smaller, neighborhood, and urban store formats. Meijer is experimenting with this, Tesco from the UK is doing the same thing out west, and even Wal-Mart is looking into it.

We need another grocery chain other than Spartan and Meijer. Other than Meijer, Spartan is a monopoly in the Grand Rapids area - it seems like they own 99% of the grocery stores now in the area. I can barely think of one they dont own. They've conquested every grocery chain in the area.

Archived