Amway Center

bic

Garage and the police hq north of the arena need to be torn down and rebuilt. The entire west side of the arena needs to be redevelop into retails heavy development.

The only thing I dont like about this arena design is that it seems like only one side of the building is open for pedestrian activity. The other three sides are purposely build to kill off any pedestrian activitives. Where are all the fountains?

It looks like the west side of the arena will have some sort of tree lined wide sidewalks. it seems that was from 408; not sure about entrances/exits though;

Some sort of attraction would be perfect adjacent to the stadium; I'm talking about something like a World of Coke type of thing; it would get good business there.

But, this isn't the Strip or I-Drive. I just think an adjacent building with lots of light displays would compliment it greatly.

Just my opinion, but I think they should have rotated the building 90 degrees clockwise, left the tower feature and outdoor bar where they are and carried the glass facade up the north side. As it stands now the best looking section of the building will only be visible coming WB on I-4 and for a brief moment at that. Whatever...at least it is being built.

Just my opinion, but I think they should have rotated the building 90 degrees clockwise, left the tower feature and outdoor bar where they are and carried the glass facade up the north side. As it stands now the best looking section of the building will only be visible coming WB on I-4 and for a brief moment at that. Whatever...at least it is being built.

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if having all the glass facing north had something to do with the sun.

I think the idea was to have the main entrance and pedestrian areas facing Church to generate more revenue for the existing local businesses there. Also, keep in mind that the arena was designed with the plan that the Citrus Bowl would be renovated. At the time, the plan was to spark redevelopment all along Church St. from the CSS to the Citrus Bowl.

I love the inside, I like how the lower bowl is steered back and not up. The outside.....it gets worse for me everytime I see a new rendering. The front looks alright with the Glass wall and tower and its interaction with the street. The rest looks really bulky, plain and rather depressing. Looks like a big box with a decorated front. The wall facing I-4 looks like the exterior of a mall circa 1984.

Garage and the police hq north of the arena need to be torn down and rebuilt. The entire west side of the arena needs to be redevelop into retails heavy development.

The only thing I dont like about this arena design is that it seems like only one side of the building is open for pedestrian activity. The other three sides are purposely build to kill off any pedestrian activitives. Where are all the fountains?

Sunshine, I think that the retail development will occur once the population demands it. As it stands the core of downtown has a difficult enough time keeping retail tenants open whether it's food/beverage or apparel. It's going to be at least another decade until retail of any significance expands west of I-4.

Sunshine, I think that the retail development will occur once the population demands it. As it stands the core of downtown has a difficult enough time keeping retail tenants open whether it's food/beverage or apparel. It's going to be at least another decade until retail of any significance expands west of I-4.

Probably true......unless an economic miracle happens and the residential buildings downtown suddenly fill up. One thing is for certain, for retail to really work downtown, there has to be people living there. As we all saw last decade, downtown had retail for awhile based on the tourism market, now it's gone. We definetely don't need businesses opening downtown based on tourism anymore..

The name Amway Center does flow a lot better than Staples Center. What is it that we don't like about the name? The type of company Amway is? Other than that it is one of the most memorable names for an arena in the country.

I disagree. At least "Staples Center" has some alliteration to it, whereas Amway Center does not. If Amway was going to put their name on the new building, they should have called the building "Amway Arena" again because "arena' complements "Amway" better than "center" does. I understand though that they needed to change the name in order to cut ties with the antiquated O-rena and that the city feels like calling it something other than "arena" will appease those folks who didn't want it built in the first place because they felt like it was only being built for the Magic. So now we have the new "Amway Center," which will host a slew of new events (but not arena football).

It could be worse. At least it's no longer called TD Waterhouse Centre or:

Quicken Loans Arena (Cavs)

Wachovia Complex (76ers) <- sounds like a disease

America West Arena (Suns)

TD Banknorth Garden (Celtics)

I disagree. At least "Staples Center" has some alliteration to it, whereas Amway Center does not. If Amway was going to put their name on the new building, they should have called the building "Amway Arena" again because "arena' complements "Amway" better than "center" does. I understand though that they needed to change the name in order to cut ties with the antiquated O-rena and that the city feels like calling it something other than "arena" will appease those folks who didn't want it built in the first place because they felt like it was only being built for the Magic. So now we have the new "Amway Center," which will host a slew of new events (but not arena football).

LMAO! You're hilarious bic!!! You're right about "The Wachovia Complex"

• 2 weeks later...

If it were in Tampa it could be called "Amscot Center" Would that be any better?