Amway Center

bic

It definitely will thrive as a result of the new arena down the street and the commuter rail station opening up in a couple of years. Quick food spots and a couple of sports bars seem like obvious establishments that should open up. Street performers and food carts should thrive on game nights if the city allows them.

Unlike the old arena where when the game let out first you went to your car ... and if you were hungry you could drive 8 blocks and repark. But once in the car you could just as easy could go home to avoid the reparking, or go to to an eatery in the burbs next to home. But in this setting, except for the few who are parked in the attached garage you have to walk past the eateries to get to your car. Even those in the attached garage are walking distance from good eats and fun.

It definitely will thrive as a result of the new arena down the street and the commuter rail station opening up in a couple of years. Quick food spots and a couple of sports bars seem like obvious establishments that should open up. Street performers and food carts should thrive on game nights if the city allows them.

Also, I'm very optimistic that we will see some infill development and further vibrancy heading a block or two west on Church once this thing is in full swing.

Hopefully we'll see some hotel investment (though that might be stretching it) in and around the new arena. I don't think any hotel would invest in the Parramore side of Church Street, but the Hilton proposal for Church Street Station may be realized as a result of a more vibrant street. DPAC will probably have a greater influence on bringing hotel chains to downtown Orlando than the arena. With a successful Broadway series, this gives tourists an opportunity to choose to stay in downtown for some cultural options (theater, bars, etc.) and ultimately, the hotels cater to tourists, not residents (who are more likely to attend a Magic game or a concert).

The old garage on Church Street directly across from the new arena is also in dire need of a makeover. The ground floor retail is good, but to make it more attractive they can redo the facade with visors or some other decorative elements.

Hopefully we'll see some hotel investment (though that might be stretching it) in and around the new arena. I don't think any hotel would invest in the Parramore side of Church Street, but the Hilton proposal for Church Street Station may be realized as a result of a more vibrant street. DPAC will probably have a greater influence on bringing hotel chains to downtown Orlando than the arena. With a successful Broadway series, this gives tourists an opportunity to choose to stay in downtown for some cultural options (theater, bars, etc.) and ultimately, the hotels cater to tourists, not residents (who are more likely to attend a Magic game or a concert).

The old garage on Church Street directly across from the new arena is also in dire need of a makeover. The ground floor retail is good, but to make it more attractive they can redo the facade with visors or some other decorative elements.

Totally agree with you, according to www.downtownorlando.com, a Hilton Hotel is supposed to be built right next to the Church Street ballroom....when DPAC is built, we'll definitely see more downtown development (hotel and office space), when DPAC is built, practically all of the usable land around Orlando City Hall will be all used up....I'm excited!!!!

What's the deal with the Northwest facade? The awning suggests some sort of restaurant/retail establishment.

I have to say, the Magic's success thus far in the playoffs is really having an effect on the local perception of this venue. I've heard a number of people whom were against tax payer dollars as funding for this now in support of it, do to their success this season. Fickle for sure, but also good timing for the Magic. Let's hope they finally pull through this season.

What's the deal with the Northwest facade? The awning suggests some sort of restaurant/retail establishment.

I have to say, the Magic's success thus far in the playoffs is really having an effect on the local perception of this venue. I've heard a number of people whom were against tax payer dollars as funding for this now in support of it, do to their success this season. Fickle for sure, but also good timing for the Magic. Let's hope they finally pull through this season.

I went on a tour of the arena about a month ago and I believe the area you are asking about is the Magic practice arena, not a restaurant or retail, unfortunately. The practice court is pretty cool though. There are windows where people can watch from the Division Street side.

• 1 month later...

Parking at the new garage and 1 other (Church St?) will be $20. I've found most people that I've talked to think it's a fine idea. You know what you'll get when you read the comments section in the Sentinel write-ups, but if you ask someone to tell you 5 good things that could come of this and 5 bad things, that usually ends the conversation.

As much as I like to park in the garages adjacent to the current arena, I'm fine with them raising the price to $20 for those two garages around Amway Center. It would be a different story if most of the garages in the area were going to be $20 but they're not. There are a number of other affordable parking options that are within a reasonable distance and it'll only encourage more people to walk a few blocks through downtown that they might not have done otherwise. I've always wondered how Orlando could get away with such cheap event parking rates. Maybe I'm used to life in bigger cities but whenever I'd go to games in Miami, Boston or LA, it would cost $30-50 to park next to the arena. Even if you paid $20, you'd still have to walk a for a couple of blocks.

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad my Magic want win a championship because of Otis Smith acting like a snail, he could have got rid of some players, to get big time players to play along side Dwight Howard. Otis Smith you better think of something fast, for you get fired. The Miami Heat has Wade, Chris Bosh, and LeBron James, it is a wrap.

Edited by tc01

^Sure, the presence of Lebron James in Miami is going to change their dynamic but I fail to see how that is going to suddenly make the young Orlando Magic team that has made it to the last 2 ECF, and the finals, creep into the shadows. If anything, this will greatly enhance the rivalry between the Magic and the Heat, it will make Floridians more interested in Florida NBA, which couldn't come at a better time with the opening of the new arena. I have full faith in this Magic team.

A championship banner would look great in the new arena. Please match the offer sheet for J.J. Redick, Otis! I agree with the above comment. A retooled Miami squad is good for the entire state and hopefully the future of basketball in Florida.

Edited by XAdamX

I feel like this is moving at a lightening pace! I love the street landscaping and the Amway Center sign. All and all, I'm very impressed. The East and West sides leave much to be desired, but I'm also not sure what else could have been accomplished on the East side with the I-4 barrier.

Does anyone have an updated route for Lymmo once the Amyway is open? It obviously doesn't make sense for it to do a 360 at the Amelia St. garage. It looks like it should continue down Hughey and drop/pick up people at Church St. or Bob Snow Lane. I'm looking at the satellite view of the area surrounding the Amway and am surprised at all the bare dirt. Is this land the city condemned and cleared? I see potential for another development with a parking garage similar to the Post apartments in Thornton Park. Long term, a rental residential development within walking distance to the Arena and Church St. club district should do well. First what to do about the social services corridor on Central. They may not need to be moved but just updated. The Salvation Army in downtown Sarasota is well designed and actually adds to the atmosphere of the neighborhood instead of detracting -- even with the lines of homeless waiting for a bed for the night.

Edited by palmtree73