Election '08: Primaries

JDC

In regards to Obama picking Richardson as his VP, I'd really love to see that, but I don't think it's going to happen. I think that in order for Obama to do a little better among the so-called "Reagan Democrats"--and I hate to say it--he will have to pick a White VP.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would hope (note i say hope, not believe) that evangelicals and others opposed to Gay Marriage get reminded of what a big issue this was for Republicans in the last couple elections cycles, but how they have done nothing about it once in office. I've heard that evangelicals have lost a good bit of their faith in the GOP for this reason - every election they side up with them on their issues, after every election they are forgotten.

That's very impressive, but are we basing the future of our nation off of how many seats a candidate can fill in an arena? Time and again, I've been told that Hill is an old, boring hag because she doesn't draw rock-concert type numbers to her events. :huh:

If you are hearing that then it is a disingenuous argument and one of the reasons the Clinton campaign has no credibility in my book. There are plenty of reasons for voting for Obama and Clinton has given many reasons for not voting for her, including the act of playing the victim. People don't buy those "acts" and is the reason that people don't go to Clinton rallies.

I'm not hearing this from the Clinton campaign. I'm hearing this from voters, primarily in the 18-30 age group. I think this shows that young people are voting for Obama because he is able to do this, not because of the issues at hand. I'm not trying to attack his credibility, but you have voters out there who are unexperienced and voting for the wrong reasons.

I'm not hearing this from the Clinton campaign. I'm hearing this from voters, primarily in the 18-30 age group. I think this shows that young people are voting for Obama because he is able to do this, not because of the issues at hand. I'm not trying to attack his credibility, but you have voters out there who are unexperienced and voting for the wrong reasons.

Is this a new phenomenon? I think not. Remember "I Like Ike?" It could also be said that many young voters went for John Kennedy because of his looks and charm. I wouldn't characterize this as anything new. Obama is simply more charismatic than Clinton. This usually goes a long way in an election process, though a few (Gary Hart?) do get derailed along the way.

I'm not hearing this from the Clinton campaign. I'm hearing this from voters, primarily in the 18-30 age group. I think this shows that young people are voting for Obama because he is able to do this, not because of the issues at hand. I'm not trying to attack his credibility, but you have voters out there who are inexperienced and voting for the wrong reasons.

With all due respect...I am in the age group you mentioned above and I voted for Obama for the right reasons, for his stance on the issues at hand. There is absolutely no way I could vote for someone (Hillary) who is so adamant about an idea as stupid as the proposed gas tax holiday for example. Way to go Hillary, that really shows experience... :ermm: Encourage the use of oil and hide the fact that after the holiday prices will simply continue to rise as they have been all along. As we've heard, that is typical politics in this country and quite frankly my generation (and the older generation as well) is getting tired of seeing this country, our country, be flushed down the toilet by this way of thinking.

I also can't vote for someone whos supports No Child Left Behind being someone who's wife is a middle school teacher. My wife is extremely adamant about the horrible results of No Child Left Behind and sees the results on the front lines. Things like this look good on paper but in practice they become short sighted and I for one am glad to see a candidate that gets it. I'm tired of voting for politicians, my vote for Barack Obama was for the future of this country because God knows we are in dire need of help, and the same old crap isn't going to cut it any more.

Please do not post web content in this topic unless you had a serious hand in creating it. A link will do if you must. Do not post photos in this topic unless they are your photos and limit them to a reasonable amount. We are not a news clipping service which has been clearly stated in the rules so don't create topics that are nothing more than a paste of a news source or a collection of news sources. I am sure that if something comes up of interest, such as the Obama rally, everyone here knows enough on how to go and find it. These posts will be deleted at the discretion of the staff and if they persist, we may take additional action. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Wife is also a middle school teacher and feels much the way your does about NCLB, I'm wondering if anyone out there thinks this is working though, are we really waiting on a new president to get this repealed? it would seem the GOP as much as the Dems have to agree on this at least.

I support Obama because he:

• is very thoughtful and intelligent, and has shown a great depth of understanding on the issues at hand

• has shown an exraordinary ability to inspire the masses to action like no one in at least a generation (not just give a good speech)

• listens to opposing views without prejudice, and has shown a willingness to surround himself with divergent viewpoints in the White House

• has the best chance to bring our country together amidst a Congress paralyzed by gridlock

• has brought millions of people into politics who have NEVER been interested before

• has shown good judgement: Iraq, race speech, handling of Wright issue, handling of attacks on him

• has has run a positive campaign, based on the issues

• understands the nation's problems, and has sound solutions to correct them

• has not pandered (like McCain and Hillary did on the gas tax issue--big thumbs down to them)

Of course being a leader is not just about speaking, but I will say the speech and charisma thing is way undervalued. After 8 years of Bush, maybe too many of us are hopelessly jaded. Obama has sought to lift the discourse and inspire people in this country in a way I have not seen in my lifetime. Through his rallies, he has built a network of volunteers across the country who will demand change from their representatives in all levels of govt. He has found a way to tap into something in the American pysche (for those who are open to listen)... it's not that HE is the one to lead us from our problems alone... millions of people now feel that through bringing more attention on our elected leaders, hard work, and persistence, WE can actually create the change we want. Obama merely sparked the movement... it is the millions of people who he has reached that will ultimately do the heavy lifting. That is the powerful 'secret' behind his candidacy.

Indeed.
  • She voted to give George Bush permission to make an unprovoked attack on Iraq. She should have been fighting it tooth and nail. She now says Bush was wrong to go to war. She changed this opinion once the war became unpopular.

• She voted for the GOP's Patriot Act which was an opportunity to use 9/11 to take rights away from citizens. Clinton is now critical of the act.

• She voted for George Bush's "No Child Left Behind". Hillary is now critical of the program and promises to radically change it if elected because it has been a complete failure. American students are doing far worse in school than they did in 2000.

• She ran on the platform that she would bring 200,000 new jobs to upstate New York. In the 8 years she held the NY state senate seat this area actually lost another 50,000 jobs. Part of the loss in jobs is directly related to Bill Clinton's passage of NAFTA, which she supported, but now says she didn't.

An objective look at her record and her husband's, which she likes also to run on when it is convenient, shows a long laundry list of flip flops, mistakes, and inattention that the current president suffers from. We don't need another.

I could never vote for a candidate that was so willing to go to war without absolutely exhausting all other means to prevent it. This was the reason that I couldn't stomach Kerry either, but we were stuck with him. Aside from that, Hillary has shown that she will vote to further her career and not vote to further the needs of the people.

Vote to further her career? I've had the opportunity to talk with her several times after campaign events in NC and this could not be further from the truth. She deeply cares about this nation and talks with great enthusiasm about what she could do for the country.

It's not Hillary's fault that NCLB ended up being a failure. It was a good idea at the time, but it was implemented WRONG and not enough research was done.

Vote to further her career? I've had the opportunity to talk with her several times after campaign events in NC and this could not be further from the truth. She deeply cares about this nation and talks with great enthusiasm about what she could do for the country.

OK you said you vote based on her record. So I bring up her record and what do you do? You respond by saying that you talked to Clinton and she has convinced you that "she cares". I don't have the luxury of talking to her, an can only go by her voting record and results as you first pointed out and now seem to discount. It doesn't matter to me if what the reasons were for failure. If Hillary supported a plan that she had not properly researched or investigated then shame on her.

Oh and BTW, you criticized people here for voting for Obama because of his ability "to speak and move people". Now you just admitted that Hillary Clinton has done this with you. That doesn't seem fair, but then again it is very Clintonesque response.

You continue to misconstrew my words. With all due respect, you put your negative spin on those issues and then make it look like I support her because of those reasons. First off, I supported the Iraq war in the beginning because of the "evidence" we were told. I now am against it and regret supporting it. No Child Left Behind was created to make the United States competitive with Asian and European countries by holding our students to a higher standard. It was executed wrong and we now have made teachers into test-givers and turned our children into test-takers! Everything looks good on paper, but in reality it will turn out to be a different scenario. I support Clinton because of her determination for universal health care (proven record), standing up for parents and children (proven record), and energy (proven record).

My talks with Senator Clinton did not move or persuade me. It showed me the real one-on-one side of her. I did not criticize anyone here for voting for Obama. I simply pointed out the facts that I have to deal with on a daily basis from voters and my friends.

One of the things that I like about Obama is that he brings into focus the fact the political process belongs to the American people, not just the bureaucrats. He talks about all getting involved and all participating in the process. This is about as close to the vision of the Founding Fathers as one can get. Hillary makes me feel alienated from the process by only focusing on what she herself would do as president. "Yes we can" vs. "Yes she will" says a lot to me. I think it's very telling that the more educated voters are drawn to Obama's type of philosophy.

Archived