North End Projects - Camp NorthEnd, Lockwood, Greenville, Double Oaks

dubone

• 3 weeks later...

6 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Camp North End plan as tweeted out by Camp North End developer 

Hex Coffee is located at 201 Camp Road site of the next local UP meetup 2 pm on Saturday Dec. 30 

Obviously, I'm very intrigued by what the Camp North End guys are doing, but am I right in speculating that they're backed by some very patient capital?  Is this place profitable yet?  Or did they get it at such a steal given its location that they've got plenty of runway for brand-building and all the specialty tenant selection while undertaking incremental renovations and new additions?

11 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Obviously, I'm very intrigued by what the Camp North End guys are doing, but am I right in speculating that they're backed by some very patient capital?  Is this place profitable yet?  Or did they get it at such a steal given its location that they've got plenty of runway for brand-building and all the specialty tenant selection while undertaking incremental renovations and new additions?

Maybe both but they are financially backed by Shorenstein which is based in San Francisco and they are big money.  

• Like 4

I have a question for those who are more in-tune with land sale/swaps, development, etc.  I imagine that eventually we will see a similar trend on the North End that we have witnessed in South End with an initial wave of mid-rise projects followed by a number of high rise towers as larger and easier to develop parcels are eaten up.  I also imagine this direction will end up having primarily residential as I assume this area isn't well suited for large scale office.  My question is does anyone else think we will see any significant height towers (15 - 20 floors) get proposed in this area in the near future?

31 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

I have a question for those who are more in-tune with land sale/swaps, development, etc.  I imagine that eventually we will see a similar trend on the North End that we have witnessed in South End with an initial wave of mid-rise projects followed by a number of high rise towers as larger and easier to develop parcels are eaten up.  I also imagine this direction will end up having primarily residential as I assume this area isn't well suited for large scale office.  My question is does anyone else think we will see any significant height towers (15 - 20 floors) get proposed in this area in the near future?

My short answer no to high rises.  I think the reason  high rises are developing in Southend is the light rail  however with Camp North End building up so much it is possible for a residential high rise.  There are just so many better spots for high rises right now.   I think there will be many new midrise apartments and hopefully lots of for sale product like townhomes in this area.  

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

Actually the master plan includes taller buildings toward the corner of Graham and Statesville behind the Fire Dept HQ. I designed the maps lol. 

Makes sense - that area around the CFD HQ would have commanding views of Uptown.  I think most other areas would be Low Rise to Mid Rise maybe except for the areas moving closer to NODA/Optimist Park.  I could envision 8 to 12 story buildings.

• Like 2

On 12/23/2023 at 3:13 PM, go_vertical said:

You asked about 15-20 floor towers in the near future (I'll insert here 5-7 years), and my answer is "No."

Taller buildings than what's there now, well sure, especially given it's mostly single-story repurposed warehouses with the exception of a single 4-5 story multi-family project and accompanying garage under development.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CLT Development said:

image.thumb.png.c71e73906d8ece54bcc1d5737dbd5c95.png

Here is a 3D version of the map I designed for the team at Camp ( @KJHburg posted the 2D above) . You will see a 12 and a 16 floor building on the bottom left. 

Thanks for sharing.  Camp North End is an intriguing case study on restorative development, urban placemaking, and creative reuse.  When drafting a plan map, can you comment on whether there was any consideration of a central plaza or activated, hard-scaped square as an anchor feature?

I'd be fine with a 15-20 floor bldg there in the next 5-7 years, I'm just doubtful it happens.  If it does, huzzah.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

Never a dumb question, this is currently a broken portion of Norfolk Southern's O-Line and would technically be the alignment for CATS Red Line. 

There are some much more robust plans where the movie night is being held. Those changes will come when the Ford Building gets renovated, which will have retail facing that park/plaza. There will also be a number of other open spaces. I'll try to remember to print out this map at work to bring to the meetup.

ooh, very nice.  thanks.  i'm just really amazed at how camp north end is evolving and the kind of vision being brought into that evolution.  you sometimes forget that there are sources of financial backing out there that allow for this kind of creativity and design thoughtfulness and intentionality.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

first reported in the Ledger then in the Biz Journal  Shorenstein is selling its interest in the office buildings at Camp North End.

The Offices @ Camp North End - Charlotte - Properties for... (jll.com)

Shorenstein Properties selling office stake in Camp North End - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

""The San Francisco-based commercial real estate firm is seeking a 90% recapitalization or the outright sale of The Offices @ Camp North End, according to a JLL property listing. JLL is marketing the property on behalf of Shorenstein.

The 380,031-square-foot site includes five adaptive-reuse office buildings — 701 Keswick Ave.; 1701 and 1801 N. Graham streets; and 201 and 301 Camp roads. They span 20 acres on the Camp North End site. The buildings delivered between 2019 and 2022 and are 58% occupied.  

Tenants include Software startup Mentra, local tech firm Kingsmen Software, Google Fiber, Bolton & Menk, Petfolk, Centene Corp., Ally Financial’s TM Studio, CloudGenera, Passero Associates and Pine Gate Renewables.

Shorenstein joined Atco Properties & Management in the redevelopment project in 2018 as a strategic capital partner. ""

• Like 1