Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

On 12/6/2017 at 10:09 PM, Jayvee said:

YAYYYYYYY 

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 5.08.42 PM.png

I was disappointed this morning -- the only thing that has happened in the 10 days since they were supposed to close the "left curb lane" is the parking meters were taken down...

Still, imagining a skinny/shiny tower in that spot, I get excited!

image.thumb.png.17c84bfc5abe1103a3a5d99bfec10f95.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dale said:

but for the history

Yeah, that's understandable.

One thing that stands out from the permit review process, is the comment "Commercial Building Review Notes":

Cycle 1   Noted on 10/26/2017
Plans are approved as noted-this plan review is for demo in the Carolina Theatre and macropiles for the 31 story high-rise

I thought the tower was going to be 20 stories... this implies there was a change in height... anyone aware of this?

Note: even if you count the theater as part of the tower, it is not 11 stories high... this has huge implications for the skyline, another 110-120ft of vertical height.

Edited by Scribe

Even this article form Nov 29th has the Intercontinental tower at 25 stories in all (5 stories for the theater) -- so the fact that the permit states 31 stories sounds like the hotel tower added, at minimum six stories and max 11.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article187087708.html

Intercontinental
At the long-vacant Carolina Theatre site at Sixth and Tryon streets, construction is underway on a dual project: Revitalizing the theater as a non-profit, civic arts center and building a 20-story hotel. On top of a five-story podium, including the theater, the hotel will be 25 stories tall. The 270-room Intercontinental is targeting a mid-2019 opening, and will include a rooftop restaurant overlooking much of the city.

15 minutes ago, Dale said:

All would be forgiven if 31 stories. That would be an imposing presence for the area.

Given that Carolina Theater is only 5 stories at the College street end (grade change), from Tryon the tower would be 30 stories tall. That is still a very nice upgrade -- waiting to get official confirmation though...

One last note, this would give them a ~320 room hotel and probably more room for meeting space, etc.

5 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Given that Carolina Theater is only 5 stories at the College street end (grade change), from Tryon the tower would be 30 stories tall. That is still a very nice upgrade -- waiting to get official confirmation though...

One last note, this would give them a ~320 room hotel and probably more room for meeting space, etc.

its 5 floors of theatre plus 25 of hotel, and a missing 13th floor, so 31 floors. The bid hasn't gone through my pipeline for the tower yet, so hopefully I'll have construction documents in the next week or two.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

its 5 floors of theatre plus 25 of hotel, and a missing 13th floor, so 31 floors.

I will take 5 floors!

What is the final room count then, ~300 with more meeting/common/restaurant space? or ~310-320 with same amount of common space as before?

Just now, Scribe said:

The previous room count was 270 with a 20 floor tower on top of the theater... what are they doing with the additional 5 floors?

oh. nevermind. I thought it was announced at 300 rooms. I think its 300 with a decent amount of meeting space, etc.

Very excited for those hotel. I predict in about 10 years that the hotels in Uptown will be mainly for the business travelers and luxury tourists while the Hotels in South End (South End is going to ignite with development so I’m sure by that time there should be a plethora of Hotels) will be for regular tourists who can’t quite afford a Uptwon hotel but are willing to walk or family members visiting residents. Glad to hear it’s 31 stories.

40 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

So approved elevations of the hotel are now on Accela.  31-33 floors (the hotel facade and theatre floors are skewed so 33 if relying on hotel facade pattern as a guide)

~ 380-385' based on extending known measurements to hotel roof.

And crazy quilt pattern windows like renderings suggested.... this will be awesome.

It's awesome, no doubt. 372' is the final height :)

• Like 4