Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

1 hour ago, Hugo704 said:

This morning on Independence blvd

82D2972F-F1A5-4D46-A186-FCED4E659558.jpeg

Ally Center is going to do wonders for the symmetry of the skyline. at least until 6th and Tryon is developed, then it'll be out of wack again haha.

5 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

That is where the new tallest in Charlotte is going, right? emoji41.pngemoji6.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haha no way jose, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something in the 375-400 ft range, and a few in the 250 ft range.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, UPNoDa said:

Not really "POTD" material but wasn't sure if it belonged here or in the "History of Charlotte" thread. (Mods relo as you wish) There are some great old street scenes of uptown when the 1970's series "Movin On" was filmed.  I'm thinking maybe 73 or 74  as this was Thunder Road's debut but its cool to see clear film footage of the old  Masonic Temple and other buildings along Tryon. bird to see 

It basically starts down on Carowinds Blvd showing the old Thunder Road rollercoaster but scroll to the 22:07 mark to see uptown.....enjoy!

Come here for Urban Development news, end up getting hooked on 70's GOLD!  Thanks!!!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, UPNoDa said:

Not really "POTD" material but wasn't sure if it belonged here or in the "History of Charlotte" thread. (Mods relo as you wish) There are some great old street scenes of uptown when the 1970's series "Movin On" was filmed.  I'm thinking maybe 73 or 74  as this was Thunder Road's debut but its cool to see clear film footage of the old  Masonic Temple and other buildings along Tryon. bird to see 

It basically starts down on Carowinds Blvd showing the old Thunder Road rollercoaster but scroll to the 22:07 mark to see uptown.....enjoy!

Crazy to think that 1st Ward ain't changed a bit since this was filmed.

Crazy to think that 1st Ward ain't changed a bit since this was filmed.

In those days there were store fronts in 1st ward lol. A lot survived until the Arena was built lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the early 70's the first block of North College had an art and frame shop and a Belk annex. The second block North had Kistler hardware. A shoe store was in there also. The north side of East Trade was for second hand items as mentioned here:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/retro-charlotte/article131255299.html

I bought a thing or two at one of those pawn shops. Bob's Pawn owner Jacob Sosnik : ) LaPointe Chevrolet was on the North side of East Trade about four blocks from the square. All First Ward. There was more but my brain pan is limited.

First ward had much business and as downtown retail drifted away like smoke the small businesses did likewise.

• Like 2