IN PROGRESS: WaterPlace | Intercontinental

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what is the purpose of these slabs they are driving into the ground?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They will support the buildings. The ground is not strong enough to support them, so the piles go down to bderock to hold the building up.

so these slabs will be submerged completely within the ground? also, when might we see steel going up on this project?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most of the excavation at the site is complete, Iselin said. Steel sheeting has been installed around the construction area, and crews have driven 300 of 800 piles into the ground. Steel will arrive around Thanksgiving, Iselin said.

I have trouble believing any concrete detailing will look better than synthetic limestone... And big thanks to the Providence Fire Dept in killing the Italian style plaza... I'm sure the replacement that will accomodate the fire lanes will look much better :unsure: .

- Garris

I have trouble believing any concrete detailing will look better than synthetic limestone...  And big thanks to the Providence Fire Dept in killing the Italian style plaza...  I'm sure the replacement that will accomodate the fire lanes will look much better  :unsure: .

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree...but let's see. As to the PFD ruining the Italian plaza, I see little logic to that request by them. Arial ladders in PFD are the max 100' and they actually need to move away from the building to get a good angle and balance...so I don't know what that is about.

What if the fire were on the other side of the building, you know, where the pond is?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, that would be the PFD argument I suspect...but the 100 foot ladders could easily extend there although not as high up- plus PFD is known for it's aggressive attack approach - they enter buildings and attack the fire. Anyway, a shame about the changes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived