IN PROGRESS: WaterPlace | Intercontinental

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HEY! Those are my pictures! :angry::P

OOPS :shok: , sorry!! I was just talking to some friends about how sharp Cotuit's(your) pictures are. What kind of digital camera are you using? I am going digital in the next few months and I am starting the research. PM me if you want to dispense advice off thread.

I am going digital in the next few months and I am starting the research. PM me if you want to dispense advice off thread.

Me too! Let me know what you find. There are so many different brands to choose from out there. I've read a few good things about Fuji and of course Canon digital cameras.

Per my own research, and a glowing recommendation from Garris, I have a Canon PowerShot A95. I believe Garris has one too (or one of it's close cousins) that he shoots some of his stuff with.

Pretty much correct. I used to shoot primarily with one of the A95's ancestors, the A70 (which can now be picked up for a song on E-Bay). If you go to my website linked below in the signature line, half of the photos there were taken with the then $250 A70, and half with my newer $900 digital SLR. I challenge you to tell the difference. I often have to check as well.

I've looked at and tried lots of entry level prosumer digital cameras, and nothing beats the Canon A and G lines in my opinion. They, unlike some companies, use top draw lenses in their consumer lines (which is why, as you observed, Cotuit's shots look so sharp and vibrant... It's the lens).

Unless you think you'll need some of the advanced features in the G-line (which 99% of people never use and some of which you can replicate with Photoshop anyway), I'd stick with the cheaper A line.

- Garris

• 1 month later...

I was very annoyed this morning to find that the entire riverwalk from the Waterplace bridge south and east is shut down. Of course on the project side it's been shut for months. But the Memorial Blvd. side is now blocked off with large yellow barriers. Every year the city shuts down this side (presumably because they don't like clearing snow, which we all knew already). But with the Waterplace side now closed, the entire riverwalk is in effect closed. What gives?!

Project is months behind. Do not expect much to happen until April. ( the projo write is very misleading )

I walked by last night and did notice some more tangible progress. From the Finance Way side looking down into the pit you can see that they are pouring a slab in the bottom of the pit closest to the river.

Project is months behind. Do not expect much to happen until April. ( the projo write is very misleading )

Do you think we'll see ourselves waiting for opening day into as far as 2008??

The city should give every project a deadline with penalities like the Westin from now on.

Do you think we'll see ourselves waiting for opening day into as far as 2008??

The city should give every project a deadline with penalities like the Westin from now on.

I'm not sure how penalizing really helps anything? Time is already money to a developer. Holding onto the land for an extra year instead of selling condos is a pretty hefty penalty by itself. when you add the possibility of a shrinking condo market, there is a lot of incentive for the developers to get the building up as fast as possible. This isn't a public works project and as far as I know is not getting city or state subsidies like the original Westin. I'm not even sure it is legal for the city to impose penalties on private development, although I suppose they could do things like increase the price for closing off the sidewalks, etc.

But I wouldn't waste a lot of sleep thinking that the developers are moving slow because they are sandbagging or something. Either they don't have cash flow to pay contractors, or site work is much more difficult than planned. And speaking of that, I do think that local developers and the planning board have to acknowledge the difficulty of site work. Perhaps they should be taking more core samples. On this project and the Masonic Temple project the subgrade work has taken a lot longer than originally thought. I don't think that's anybody's "fault," per se, but I do think they need to extend the timelines for this portion of the projects if they want to have realistic schedules.

• 1 month later...

Awesome render! I espically like the different colored brick panels. Seeing the roofline in this photo eases my initial fear of the "Miami" look I thought it was going to have. Can't wait to experience what the riverwalk scene will be like with this and the GTech building finished.

Awesome render! I espically like the different colored brick panels.

Yes, I like the 'brick' too. Am I understanding correctly that that is not actually brick but some other surface? I think it pays tribute to the city's brick heritage while infusing a new interesting style into the cityscape.

I would look for steel somewhere in the start of April.

That sounds about right to me. Walking by recently, it appears they are almost there. I noted the other day, and in another thread, that I walked by Waterplace, GTECH, and the Westin earlier this week a little past 5pm. GTECHs workers appeared to have gone home for the day, but there was still work going on at Waterplace and Westin. I know Waterplace is behind schedule, I wonder if they are running two shifts.

Archived