IN PROGRESS: WaterPlace | Intercontinental

I think, more than some of the other new projects, the materials they choose to use on these buildings will make or break them. Look at all of that flat, unadorned space in the renders. If the materials aren't great, the overall design could fall flat. If the materials are interesting and top-notch, the design might be fantastic...

- Garris

Materials haven't been choosen yet and everyone is concerned that they do it right. In a month or two there will be a material mock up for review and opinion. Let us know what you think. As for the top of the building, preliminary plans have been reviwed for its lighting.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Materials haven't been choosen yet and everyone is concerned that they do it right. In a month or two there will be a material mock up for review and opinion. Let us know what you think.

Are they planning to mount the materials on site like GTECH did. If you could give a heads up on when they erect it, it be much appreciated.

As for the top of the building, preliminary plans have been reviwed for its lighting.

I'd like to see them utilize coloured gels so that they can join the Westin, the Superman Building, and the Hospital trust tower in holiday displays. Some red, white, and blue in July and other colour themes would be cool too.

Materials haven't been choosen yet and everyone is concerned that they do it right. In a month or two there will be a material mock up for review and opinion. Let us know what you think. As for the top of the building, preliminary plans have been reviwed for its lighting.

I wish they'd change the design of that odd looking roof, on both buildings!

I'd like to see them utilize coloured gels so that they can join the Westin, the Superman Building, and the Hospital trust tower in holiday displays. Some red, white, and blue in July and other colour themes would be cool too.

That would be a great idea. I didn't recall, though, that the Westin did holiday displays as well...

- Garris

Did anyone else go to the cocktail reception last night for Waterplace? It was pretty cool.

I got invited, but I didn't feel like doing anything this weekend. Where was it, I thought it was part of WaterFire? There was also a thing at the Promenade on Friday that I skipped.

has anyone seen the big rendering they put this weekend??

On-site? I'll have to walk by. Ari mentioned that Grant's Block will have some graphical screening like the Westin and I was bemoaning the fact that Waterplace hasn't followed suit.

I was told they are behind schedule.

Last month's rain couldn't have helped the schedule, I'd imagine the site was flooded for a few days. Over the summer they had some river seepage (there's a picture way back somewhere in the thread). I assumed they planned for that, but they may not have been totally prepared.

Here's some pics of the seepage:

2005-0713-WaterPlace0001.jpg

2005-0627-WaterPlace0004.jpg

They had one set of pumps and then a week later a new pump system. Don't know if the second system was in response to the first not being up to the task or not.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've seen the renders of course, but I still have a hard time mentally projecting what things will look like as I walk around Waterplace. I can't wait to see the final result.

- Garris

What was surprising to me now that I see Garris' pictures is just how close to the walkways those walls will be. I really need to walk down there myself. Those buildings will have a huge impact on the feel of the park. I can't wait to see what the end result will look like, I choose to be optimistic.

Archived