IN PROGRESS: WaterPlace | Intercontinental

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are all these people coming from? Besides G-tech, what new industries have come here that can sustain the need for the all these new units?

My guesses:

Perhaps there has for some time been latent demand for downtown PVD living but until recently downtown wasn't suitable to that demand. Now that PVD is experiencing a renaissance that demand is showing itself in the form of high prices and high-end development.

And maybe it is regional: The high demand for upscale living in downtown PVD isn't a result of businesses moving to PVD but rather a reflection of the region. There are wealthy people in southeastern New England who want an upscale urban condo.

My guesses:

Perhaps there has for some time been latent demand for downtown PVD living but until recently downtown wasn't suitable to that demand. Now that PVD is experiencing a renaissance that demand is showing itself in the form of high prices and high-end development.

And maybe it is regional: The high demand for upscale living in downtown PVD isn't a result of businesses moving to PVD but rather a reflection of the region. There are wealthy people in southeastern New England who want an upscale urban condo.

Yeah ... the "empty nesters". Even if the business climate is terrible, Providence is still a great city to live in and that's all that counts in the minds of yuppies looking for a taste of city life. Waterplace, along with Gtech, is finally fulfilling the promises of Capital Center. Stating the obvious here, but all these people will help to create foot traffic and make retail more viable downtown. I say Providence ride this wave of condo development before the bubble bursts and its stuck with the holes in the ground it's had for years. Once the city becomes a viable place to live, and it should be there soon, I'm thinking the condo market would get even hotter. If I had the money and worked in the area, I'd be looking to snap up one of these condos right now. My guess is the market will continue to strengthen for years as more and more boomers retire.

From what I was told tower one and tower two have have been (pre) selling very storng ( Almost sold out, aka why you read about higer unit prices last week ) They are now accepting buyers for tower Three units. Also talk about a forth tower.

From what I was told tower one and tower two have have been (pre) selling very storng ( Almost sold out, aka why you read about higer unit prices last week ) They are now accepting buyers for tower Three units. Also talk about a forth tower.

They're making a third tower? Wow! Have we seen any renderings of this? I thought the ones we've seen just have two.

I wonder if the third tower is the mini-tower that can be seen in the original renderings (and actually the renderings still at add's site) or if it will be between the two being built now and the train station.

There was also a lot of talk of office space. It would be nice if they get to the fourth tower that they have some office space. I know there is talk that there is little demand DownCity, but then I see a bunch of 5-6 story new construction in the sprawl (East Providence and Warwick, for instance).

They're making a third tower? Wow! Have we seen any renderings of this? I thought the ones we've seen just have two.

Whne the project was first announced way back in the day, the rendering ha the four towers together.

These are the renderings from "way back when"...

The building I am talking about is the one that looks like it has a rooftop pool (I'm guessing it's something else, but that's what it looks like in that picture). That tower isn't in the current renders on the website and I'm not really sure if it can still fit, but it is on the architects site.

w7d4ox.jpg

http://www.addinc.com

I should have chosen a better pic but in the renders that is a separate building. Right now, by the renders at liveatwaterplace.com, that building is kind of built into one of the towers.

Apparently today is either propogation day or update day for their website, as there are now 3d layouts, floorplans, and even a site plan on the website. I could swear that they were adding stuff as I was browsing. Check it out.

The building I am talking about is the one that looks like it has a rooftop pool (I'm guessing it's something else, but that's what it looks like in that picture). That tower isn't in the current renders on the website and I'm not really sure if it can still fit, but it is on the architects site.

http://www.addinc.com

I should have chosen a better pic but in the renders that is a separate building. Right now, by the renders at liveatwaterplace.com, that building is kind of built into one of the towers.

Apparently today is either propogation day or update day for their website, as there are now 3d layouts, floorplans, and even a site plan on the website. I could swear that they were adding stuff as I was browsing. Check it out.

the site plan at liveatwaterplace.com shows the 2 towers connected, so there's only 2 towers, but it should a lot of space for future construction behind them.

EDIT: i just realized that's confusing... the "third tower" is shown connected to one of the main towers...

waterplace-siteplan.jpg

Photos from last Wednesday, the 19th:

134510692_b017fa6408_o.jpg

134510699_1f9a14470a_o.jpg

134510715_59df62a673_o.jpg

134510790_292dd1cd65_o.jpg

PS: This is really pretty exciting and a strong endorsement of the city if they really are talking about towers 3 and 4. How can we confirm this? And if Waterplace is really already talking about building a 3rd and 4th residential tower, than that quiets the naysayers about 110.

From what I was told the city does not want the 4th tower to be residential but a hotel, office etc. Who knows though. With all the new hotels coming they may change tune.

Yeah, at this point, I'm not sure we need more hotels, and I know the city wanted an office building in phase 2. If we can create the market, another office building in Captial Center would certainly be welcome.

Citizens should be the 4th tower... and the space between it could be the "waterfront campus" portion of it ;)

Why not have it built on the parking lot adjacent to the existing Citizens building, kinda like a taller twin. I say let as many condos build up as the market will allow. It will only add to the vibrancy of the city.

From what I was told the city does not want the 4th tower to be residential but a hotel, office etc. Who knows though. With all the new hotels coming they may change tune.

While the city might suggest to a developer what we may want or prefer, a developer can do whatever zoning allows and can be financed.

Yeah ... the "empty nesters". Even if the business climate is terrible, Providence is still a great city to live in and that's all that counts in the minds of yuppies looking for a taste of city life. [snip]

My wife and I were just talking, again, about moving downtown. Unfortunately Waterplace is just out of reach. We aren't yuppies (which might be why we can't quite afford Waterplace). We both really like Providence, currently live on the East Side, and will probably move downtown in the next few years. This project and all of the others are continually making that move more and more attractive. Being able to walk to the train station and Kennedy Plaza would be very nice for both of us. Someday we might even WORK in Providence, one can always dream...

My take on the renderings...

These are the renderings from "way back when"...

Towers 3 and 4 look to be the dark grey behind towers 1 and 2. You can see Finance Way go behind the dark buildings, and Exchange St. to their right. This seems to indicate they are on the current parcel.

EDIT: i just realized that's confusing... the "third tower" is shown connected to one of the main towers...

Yes. Looking at both the site plan and the rendering, the "3rd tower" with the "pool" (sure would be nice to live there...) looks like it is part of #2 Waterplace.

Why not have it built on the parking lot adjacent to the existing Citizens building, kinda like a taller twin. I say let as many condos build up as the market will allow. It will only add to the vibrancy of the city.

The current site plan and the rendering from "way back when" show all four towers on the existing site. Leaving room for another developer to work on making that parking lot into something cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived