IN PROGRESS: WaterPlace | Intercontinental

The rust does not really affect anything although they will likely clean/polish anyplace where they are going to weld. Any exposed steel will be cleaned and treated after construction.

Structural steel has no coating and develops rust from humidity in the air, so it would be tough to build anything if it were a big problem.

For building code reasons, most steel frame buildings need to be "protected," so all of that rusty steel will be covered with spray-on fire resistive material later in construction. Supposedly, some rust actually helps adhesion of the SFRM.

I've always thought it was too bad that buildings going up look so rusty, but that's the way it is. There are paints that can act as fire protection, called "intumescents," but they are far more expensive than SFRM so are used only where structural steel is exposed to view in the finished building.

BJE

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For building code reasons, most steel frame buildings need to be "protected," so all of that rusty steel will be covered with spray-on fire resistive material later in construction. Supposedly, some rust actually helps adhesion of the SFRM.

I've always thought it was too bad that buildings going up look so rusty, but that's the way it is. There are paints that can act as fire protection, called "intumescents," but they are far more expensive than SFRM so are used only where structural steel is exposed to view in the finished building.

BJE

Is that what the stuff sprayed on the steel in the mall's parking garage is?

You won't be able to see the Supreman Building from the Train station much longer...

I wasn't aware you could... I thought you could only see Avalon and Amex...

I always thought it was somewhat anticimatic to walk out of the train station, follow the promising sign that says "Downtown" and come out too...

The Mall and Amex buildings...

Kind of anticimatic...

It'll be better to come out to G-Tech and Waterplace towers.

- Garris

I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up yet, but yesterday while I was walking around the site, I saw that someone scribbled "No More Condos" on the rendering.

Makes me wonder if it was a poster on here. :D

That gives me a new idea of a rebel super-hippie-movement.

Which slogan do you like more?

say NO to shelter!

ROOFS = MURDER

If you have a place to live you are living with... Stalin.

That gives me a new idea of a rebel super-hippie-movement.

Which slogan do you like more?

say NO to shelter!

ROOFS = MURDER

If you have a place to live you are living with... Stalin.

lol. I really wonder what kind of person put it up there. It probably was a hippie type...

I think the real issue that person has is probably that downcity is going upscale. "The people" will continue to have their own enclaves in the neighborhoods surrounding places like Thayer and Atwells.

lol. I really wonder what kind of person put it up there. It probably was a hippie type...

I think the real issue that person has is probably that downcity is going upscale. "The people" will continue to have their own enclaves in the neighborhoods surrounding places like Thayer and Atwells.

haha yea lol i know right i wonder too :unsure:

I wasn't aware you could... I thought you could only see Avalon and Amex...

I always thought it was somewhat anticimatic to walk out of the train station, follow the promising sign that says "Downtown" and come out too...

The Mall and Amex buildings...

Kind of anticimatic...

It'll be better to come out to G-Tech and Waterplace towers.

- Garris

I agree, you don

If any part of the city is perfect for more condos, it's the Waterplace area... right within walking distance of the commuter line to Boston. I wonder what the master plan for that area is. It would be great if there was good foot traffic in the area around the train station.

That part of the lot is slated for tower 3 or 4 so it will be interesting to see what they do with that space while determining if that tower can be built. I hope they give it a nice, hopefully temporary, finished look.

That will be interesting to see what they do with that land. Given the cost of the condos, I would hope they would make it look quite finished in the interim...

haha yea lol i know right i wonder too :unsure:

Welcome to UP Prov ProCity Joe!

It would be great if there was good foot traffic in the area around the train station.

Not combining train and bus activity in one place was a mistake... Do any long timers here remember if there was any serious discussion about this when either Kennedy Plaza or Providence Station were being proposed?

- Garris

The train station and KP are only .3 miles apart. That's not too bad at all.

for someone traveling long distances with bags and making a bus connection, it feels like it's about 5 miles. or for someone commuting to boston by train and not realizing that MBTA is running on a weekend or holiday schedule, so you gotta take the bus instead... it feels much longer.

One of the things lacking in Portland, Maine is a downtown train station. Their downtown area is wonderful and better than Providence's in some ways. But their Amtrak station is about 1.5 miles from the heart of downtown and very suburban, next to the highway and surrounded by parking lots. Ideally the PVD bus and train stations would be one, but I love the building and how it is situated at least very close to the action.

I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up yet, but yesterday while I was walking around the site, I saw that someone scribbled "No More Condos" on the rendering.

Makes me wonder if it was a poster on here. :D

Typical poorly thought out lashing out. I understand some people, especially people in Olneyville are tense about being displaced. Waterplace is not displacing people, especially not people in Olneyville. It is being built on vacant land. It could be argued that Waterplace even takes the pressure off Olneyville as it provides a big chunck of upscale housing, the people living there will not be living in condo conversions on the West Side.

It would be nice if the people on the West Side with valid concerns would find a constructive way to express them.

One of the things lacking in Portland, Maine is a downtown train station. Their downtown area is wonderful and better than Providence's in some ways. But their Amtrak station is about 1.5 miles from the heart of downtown and very suburban, next to the highway and surrounded by parking lots. Ideally the PVD bus and train stations would be one, but I love the building and how it is situated at least very close to the action.

I wouldn't compare a city of 60K/200K metro to one of 180K/1.6M. Portland might be compared to Pawtucket. I do agree that the PVD bus station would best be located near the train station...ideally the building/land of the former American Express.

I wouldn't compare a city of 60K/200K metro to one of 180K/1.6M. Portland might be compared to Pawtucket. I do agree that the PVD bus station would best be located near the train station...ideally the building/land of the former American Express.

I think comparing Providence to Portland, ME is very apt, there is no comparison between Portland and Pawtucket, Pawtucket is nowhere near to being in Portland's league.

While Portland is small, it is by far the urban center of Maine. I lived in Portland over a decade ago, and even then, Portland was far ahead of where Providence is now in its revitalization. Being a New England city makes the comparisons even more apt since we have many of the same issues that comes with the local government structure in New England. Portland has worked against an issue that I brought up in another thread, and that is having a large suburban population within the city, the peninsula is really the only urban part of the city, it has a vast suburban mainland area that is within the city limits. Even with that large suburban base, the city has been able to maintain and enhance its urban character.

Portland's retail center was decimated by the construction of the Maine Mall. However, unlike the Rhode Island and Warwick Malls, the Maine Mall is only a couple miles outside the Downtown, so people from other areas of the state have to pretty much come to Portland to shop there, so Portland was better able to attract people back into the Downtown.

The train station issue may go away, there is a proposal to build an intermodal station on the peninsula only a few blocks from Monument Square. The current station location was the best they could do to get Amtrak service restarted right away. There is shuttle service to the Downtown from the station.

Archived