The Dave Luna Urban Planet Forum Meet-Up (online, too), Sat. June 1st, 10 AM to noon; Copper Branch patio at Downtown Library at 6th Ave. North and Church St.

smeagolsfree

Really would liked to have been there. But really getting an eyeful in Austin. Cranes everywhere. More projects about to start. There are at least 10 Sobro type apartment buildings, probably more and most are taller. Austin is a good ten years ahead of Nashville. Elliston 23 projects are a dime a dozen.

I digress.

Welcome to the forum Mark. Looking forward to seeing you at the next meet.

• Like 2

Really would liked to have been there. But really getting an eyeful in Austin. Cranes everywhere. More projects about to start. There are at least 10 Sobro type apartment buildings, probably more and most are taller. Austin is a good ten years ahead of Nashville. Elliston 23 projects are a dime a dozen.

I digress.

Welcome to the forum Mark. Looking forward to seeing you at the next meet.

This is what I don't get.  Why does Nashville not get these types of developments?  I know we've talked about it before, but it still puzzles me.  I agree with John (UA) about how Nashville seems to get skipped on height and striking designs.  I know height isn't everything, but it seems we get the short, pun intended, end of the stick.  Instead of a nice new tallest or at least something that breaks 30 stories and 450 ft, we get 30 stories max and an eh, imo, design for the Bridgestone HQ.  I know it is a slightly different design than the first rendering, but, to me, the curved designs really set it apart than a square box.  I also realize that the intent has change from office space and residential/hotel to just office space.  I am also very grateful for this relocation/conglomeration and a building instead of a parking lot.  However, Nashville still seems to get gypped.  Others include the Omni and HCA.

Now I do think the JW Marriot height and design are great.  Getting 505, and if that mysterious proposed hotel next to the area recently unearthed are built, this will be the start of something.  I realize height and such are not very relevant, but I was a little disappointed with the Brigestone HQ final details.  I thought for sure we would be finally getting that "signature" building (or at least a more significant one) for our beloved city.  I also think that the old CC development is a game changer, especially regarding getting some centralized retail to the core.

Anyways, what do you guys think about other peer cities getting more height and "better" designs?  It just a little frustrating and perplexing, especially since we are supposed to be the "it" city.  Sorry for derailing this topic, we can move to another if this generates any discussion.

• Like 3

timmay143 wrote:  "...Sorry for derailing this topic, we can move to another if this generates any discussion."

I'm just glad that you posted, period, even though you do pop-up here 'n' there on other sub-topics.  Since you moved to Fla., I know you can't just materialize up here on first Saturdays, to coincide with your home visits.

Those who would protest of this impending new construction (a number of projects of which appear to be about to run concurrently), will not be among the survival of the fittest, as it turns out to be everywhere else as well.  Sure, some of these lesser projects may be a bit on the tacky side, and that's unfortunate if there cannot be a thematic diversity of the historic with the new.

But as I told someone at the mini-meet last Saturday, the ones who bark the loudest are the same ones too scared to step on a moving escalator for the first time.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

I want to give everyone plenty of time to make plans for the next meet. Right now we have a VIP, very special guest lined up for the meet on December 6th. I am not going to say who, but I do not think you would be disappointed. Right now this person says it is on their calendar and has confirmed that they will try and be there with maybe some new information.

It will be 12/6 @ 10 am. Provence Downtown Library. I would like to get a preliminary count on how many we might expect so I can let our friends at Provence know.

• Like 1

I want to give everyone plenty of time to make plans for the next meet. Right now we have a VIP, very special guest lined up for the meet on December 6th. I am not going to say who, but I do not think you would be disappointed. Right now this person says it is on their calendar and has confirmed that they will try and be there with maybe some new information.

It will be 12/6 @ 10 am. Provence Downtown Library. I would like to get a preliminary count on how many we might expect so I can let our friends at Provence know.

You secretly mean the mayor, now don't you

:yawn: 

I plan on being there.  : )