SKYE Condominiums and Hyatt Place Hotel

monsoon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly it looks like one a bigger version of one of the highrise dorms at UNCC. I showed this rendering to an architecture person that I respect and they said it looked like a commie apartment block. Did an architect actually propose this?

Okay, I'll just say that it is about f'n time we got a CAD rendering! :)

It looks classy. Sheesh, I really believe those kinds of things really would have (and will) help finish off sales. People really need that type of realistic image to think about a building as a reality. Some don't, but most people do.

Honestly it looks like one a bigger version of one of the highrise dorms at UNCC. I showed this rendering to an architecture person that I respect and they said it looked like a commie apartment block. Did an architect actually propose this?
Finally someone said it.

The rendering is very realistic and very impressively done. But the building leaves much to be desired. However, the straight-on angle makes it so the facade looks almost completely flat, so I'll reserve final judgement. (we can't see the depth and contours, etc)

The roof and the cornice (can you even call it a cornice?) are unsettling to me. Somehow, It feels like there's not enough space between the top row of windows and the roof of the building - and I think that's what gives it the 1960s commie apartment block (or 1960s high-rise student housing) look.

It may, however, look a lot better from ground level. I've said it in other threads and in other forums, but I'll say it again here: as long as the building has proper urban form (ground-level retail, etc... does Park have that?) the actual design of the building is secondary.

The roof and the cornice (can you even call it a cornice?) are unsettling to me. Somehow, It feels like there's not enough space between the top row of windows and the roof of the building - and I think that's what gives it the 1960s commie apartment block (or 1960s high-rise student housing) look.

Indeed. Hence my comment on UNCC dorms. (which are slated for eventual demolition)

Look familiar?

Moore.jpg

Take this building. Put a parking deck under it and glue on that thing on the roof and you have an instant Park Building. I agree this could be the effects of the rendering but this sure doesn't seem like much given the amount of time that has passed since this project was announced.

:lol:

I don't think it is that bad.

If it is stucco, I agree, but I believe I read that it is pre-fab concrete and other higher quality materials. Also, at an angle, I think the different depths in the relief are more prominent.

But really, this has always been an also-ran project uptown. Just like Courtside, at the end of the day it will just be a random building in the urban density where people happen to live. The architecture is much less important than the fact that it adds 100+ residences on such a small spot of land.

while I can definately see the UNCC dorm, there is a lot of things that this rendering has going for it.

It is by far the most realistic rendering I've seen for downtown charlotte, but personally I don't know how much I like it, I'm indifferent, I do like how there are goign to be features jutting out from the fascade, but I hate absolutely hate, the first three floors, while I realize this part of the piece is just parking deck, there have been some very well done parking decks out there, and a lot of this parking deck is well done just not the first three floors, and the entrance. Because of the realism of this rendering, I definately think this thing'll sell reallllly quick

Has some great lines for uplighting too. Looking forward to some more night pics. :)

Heard the building will have lighting at night. Will look great at night and be part of the evening skyline of Uptown.

now you are talking :-D I can't wait to see a night rendering of the place, and I'l like to see a threequarter view of the place, it that the building would look much better from that angle, and I have noticed previously that the building is not a perfect rectangle so I wonder what the back of the building wil look like, hopefully there will be some difference, that would bring the building together to be a prett good looking structure

This is the more private side of the building. The other side with City views, has less exterior glassed in sun rooms and all balcony's ranging from 9'x10 for a studio to 9'x52' for a premium upper floor. The city side should be less commie looking, as you say. By the way, how many condo buildings has your architect designed? If its more than one, I would like to talk with him. If not, then why would he shoot down one of his own. The brotherhood has been broken or mispoken... :sick:

Finally someone said it.

It may, however, look a lot better from ground level. I've said it in other threads and in other forums, but I'll say it again here: as long as the building has proper urban form (ground-level retail, etc... does Park have that?) the actual design of the building is secondary.

Top Row of windows and the roof? Those windows are the Two Penthouses on the Roof. The same level has over 10,000 SF of a pool, trees, plants, walking paths, sitting areas and a owners special event area. The Penthouses on that same level allow owners to have privacy, yet walk out anytime in there own private, yet shared park.

In the middle, is the Cornice? that rises above and between the Penthouses and houses the Workout room overlooking the Rooftop park.

First floor has 1700 SF or retail on 3rd and Caldwell. I hear maybe a upscale coffee house/wine bar? Then inside is another 1200 SF in the back to house owners business services center, whatever. Its on there plans.

you know what I have something to admit...

I've never given this project the light of day, ever, until I saw the rendering (even tho I said I wasn't too much of a fan of it, only because of the straight on view), I've now explored the building more, and I love the floorplans, especially the two bedroom loft with city views on the 11-16, and the two bedroom corners on the 17-18th floor. Sorry for being so against this project, I love it now.

"We even provide a Hospital Grade back-up generator for emergency use to power the entire building."

you know what I have something to admit...

I've never given this project the light of day, ever, until I saw the rendering (even tho I said I wasn't too much of a fan of it, only because of the straight on view), I've now explored the building more, and I love the floorplans, especially the two bedroom loft with city views on the 11-16, and the two bedroom corners on the 17-18th floor. Sorry for being so against this project, I love it now.

"We even provide a Hospital Grade back-up generator for emergency use to power the entire building."

UrbanPlanet posters has been up and down on Verna, and has every right to be. The rest of developers get a bit of slamming, but this is the tops. So, in time, I have watched many turn to the positive, why others still need to slam Verna, even when he tries to please.

Its about Charlotte growing up and each developer will have his own issues, some will fail, some will never get there project off the ground, while others will succeed each and every time. Verna has stuck it out this entire time, for that, he gets a hand shake and a pat on the back. When his finished his building, then even the negative posters will have to stand and give him an standing ovation. Until then, I will be back to present the public facts and post what I can. :shades:

ps. I hear more things are to come with night shots, rooftop park images, different angles and othes stuff in 30 days. :ph34r:

With all respect to diversity of opinion, I personally don't think this rendering of the Park is reminiscent of the UNC dorm or a commie-block monstrosity.

In my humble opinion, there is an inexplicable elegance about it:)

I agree, when this drawing of the Park starts surfacing in ads throughout the area it will probably end up selling out quickly.

With all respect to diversity of opinion, I personally don't think this rendering of the Park is reminiscent of the UNC dorm or a commie-block monstrosity.

In my humble opinion, there is an inexplicable elegance about it:)

I agree, when this drawing of the Park starts surfacing in ads throughout the area it will probably end up selling out quickly.

From a non-architects point of view the building is fine. A bit boring, but fine. There is nothing that strikes me and nothing that turns me off. I think they concentrated more on making the building work AND having a rooftop park (which is a fantastic feature) so they have plusses with their minuses. I suspect the average buyer will care more about what they get than what it looks like in a rendering or when it is done.

This is the more private side of the building. The other side with City views, has less exterior glassed in sun rooms and all balcony's ranging from 9'x10 for a studio to 9'x52' for a premium upper floor. The city side should be less commie looking, as you say. By the way, how many condo buildings has your architect designed? If its more than one, I would like to talk with him. If not, then why would he shoot down one of his own. The brotherhood has been broken or mispoken... :sick:
....., why others still need to slam Verna, even when he tries to please. .......

He has spoken honestly about the building. This particular individual lives outside North Carolina so he has no interest beyond my asking him what he thought about it. I appreciated his honest assessment of the architecture of the building and it confirmed my own thoughts about what was shown in that rendering.

I will also add that you chose to post that rendering here, on this forum for the public, so you have to accept the criticism that comes from asking what people think. If you didn't want to hear it I assume that you would have chosen to remain "underground" as you said you were going to do last time you did not get a round of applause for the Park's plans. Your continued criticism of UrbanPlanet and its members because you don't like the reaction to the Park's plans are disingenous and frankly a waste of this forum's time. If you are speaking as a representative for the place it puts forth the impression that a bunch of yoyo's are involved with the project.

Seriously, I think the project is great, and I recognize that architecture involves a lot of personal preference - so while I'm not a big fan of the building's exterior details (more neutral than opposed) I also recognize that there is no absolute "good" and "bad," so others may that many think this building is excellent. I also don't care - if I had been considering living there based on amenities and location,, I don't think this design would affect my opinion one way or the other at all.

The rendering itself, however, is so well done that it really makes the project seem more real. I expect that the remaining units will now be much easier to sell than with the colored-pencil renderings we had before.

nvq, is this building to be stucco-ed? i hate that it's come to this - but, IMO that is the straw that breaks the camels back. the design of the building is rather blase' - but i'm a man of density when all else fails. i do appreciate the port hole windows and rooftop park should make for a wonderful easter soiree.

*note to developers: FOR THE LOVE OF YOUR CITY - NO EFIS!

He has spoken honestly about the building. This particular individual lives outside North Carolina so he has no interest beyond my asking him what he thought about it. I appreciated his honest assessment of the architecture of the building and it confirmed my own thoughts about what was shown in that rendering.

I will also add that you chose to post that rendering here, on this forum for the public, so you have to accept the criticism that comes from asking what people think. If you didn't want to hear it I assume that you would have chosen to remain "underground" as you said you were going to do last time you did not get a round of applause for the Park's plans. Your continued criticism of UrbanPlanet and its members because you don't like the reaction to the Park's plans are disingenous and frankly a waste of this forum's time. If you are speaking as a representative for the place it puts forth the impression that a bunch of yoyo's are involved with the project.

So this makes you the forum god.. great to hear that.. You are to judge others.. Judge yourself first. Forums are what they are and so is honesty. If you took time to read the post, it was favorable for the positive and the negative. It was balanced and not judgemental on anyone person. It is freedom of speech.. But when you read some postings, you wonder what they are thinking and the postings turn into attacks.. Just trying to balance the forums.. So you as one person are not in a position to decide if any one posting is a waste of the forums time. Dont take it personal... And if you do.. so what.. freedom of speech.. have a wonderful day.. UBYOYOMAN

Archived