Cathedral Square Project

GRDadof3

Time for an update:

May I just say this is horrible. I hope there is more work to be done on the ramp to make it look less like an urban renewal project, but since it is already in use I'm not very hopeful.

2587699665_1ec4511895_b.jpg

This building on the other hand turned out better then I thought it would after I saw the rendering. It's nothing great, but an improvement over the warehouse it used to be.

2588642550_b4bc2c487a_b.jpg

Divisions new parking lot:

2587807307_4fda2f21dd_b.jpg

Sheldon Avenue:

2587864757_2a2de5014c_b.jpg

The new swimming pool:

2587865325_e7faa34343_b.jpg

And finally the cleared are across the street:

2588729162_da873f7f4a_b.jpg

I'm surprised that one building there is still mostly standing.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time for an update:

May I just say this is horrible. I hope there is more work to be done on the ramp to make it look less like an urban renewal project, but since it is already in use I'm not very hopeful.

2587699665_1ec4511895_b.jpg

And finally the cleared are across the street:

2588729162_da873f7f4a_b.jpg

I'm surprised that one building there is still mostly standing.

Agreed. The rendering posted above shows the ramp surrounded by trees so you can't see the naked bare bones construction. Between this ramp and St Mary's, I'm not quite sure what people are thinking.

That area of Wealthy looks fantastic though. Nice brick!

Agreed. The rendering posted above shows the ramp surrounded by trees so you can't see the naked bare bones construction. Between this ramp and St Mary's, I'm not quite sure what people are thinking.

That area of Wealthy looks fantastic though. Nice brick!

Yeah, Wealthy is looking very nice. I took a few pictures of just the road itself. Not only is there a new road and sidewalks, but all the land next to it either have new development or newly vacant land asking to be developed. The worst thing about the lovely new road is that is has an eyesore of a parking structure on it :)

Seperately, does anyone know if it's really cost effective to build a two level parking structure? It seems like they could have built it three levels and have no surface parking along Division.

[ramp picture]

I can't imagine that is the finished product.

I could be wrong but I thought that they were going to "screen" the parking ramp with a green (as in plant covered) wall. When they announced the plans, I remember that as one of the design details that really appealed to me.

Pardon me and my dreaming...

catholicbikeparking.jpg

Actually, there should be a lot more racks, but this will be a good start. Like all good Catholic bicycle racks, I included a cross in the design. :) I'm sure that Cycle-Safe (located on Cascade Rd) would be glad to make these up for the archdiocese.

wealthybikepaths.jpg

Of course, the sign would face the other direction, but you get the picture. :)

It could happen...there are a few miles of bicycle lanes around the city. Of course, I haven't seen lanes on the whole section of Wealthy the just redid further up, so I'm not getting my hopes up. And the city doesn't really believe in actually signing that a bicycle lane is for bicycles at the moment, even when they do put them in.

But, you know, Grand Rapids sure is a green city. All those LEED buildings... <pardon the sarcasm>

Enjoy these. I had to quickly escape the wrath of an elderly security guard who apparently didn't like me walking on the new (unfenced) plaza.

Did the security gaurd call you a hobo and tell you that you can't sleep there?

That area was still fenced off when I took my pictures Saturday, but I don't think there was a security guard on duty then, or they were sleeping/hiding.

I think he was just implying that because the plaza is unfenced, its technically open to the public. The security guard unleashed her wrath because he was 'trespassing' on a construction zone

It was actually an elderly gentleman, who came out from inside the building and tried to wave me down as I was getting back in my car. I was not in the mood to get into a confrontation with the guy and debate "photography rights", so I drove off and waved. :)

And yes, I was saying that the plaza does not have construction fence around it anymore, giving the impression that it is open to the public. It actually ties right into the sidewalk along Wealthy and Division, so one could easily take a few steps and be on the "plaza" from the sidewalk. The only thing they are finishing up is the landscaping. If I was trespassing, my apologies to the Diocese. :blush:

The security guard was keeping an eye on me, but I managed to get a few shots when he went around the corner.

2605577899_f53ff24d77_b.jpg

I'm not sure if the picture captures it, but there's an interesting oil-slick coloration on the bottom portion of the windows.

2606401526_9f9ca3cd95_b.jpg

As already noted the parking garage is fairly disappointing, but at least they left room for plantings to hide it.

2605574473_41567b9d43_b.jpg

2606404842_b79496295b_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like they are finally starting to clear the buildings along Division (Kleinman's, Acapulco, etc.). Kleinman's side wall was down yesterday and they are down in the basements of those building with heavy equipment this morning. 408 S Division is still standing as well as the front walls of the buildings.

It's always best to place easily accessed dark places next to a high school in a not-so-gated-community. It makes for a shorter trip for crack addicts and homeless persons looking for THAT one magical spot to shoot up or maybe urinate.

Crack is smoked, not shot up. As a defense attorney down here in Ft. Lauderdale, I know my drugs and addicts :shades:

Does anyone know why 408 S Division is still (half)standing on the SE Corner of Division and Wealthy? It looks terrible, are they going to restore it or something?

I heard Denny's and Walgreen's from a semi-reliable source. Please tell me this person is incorrect.

can u be a bit more detailed please??

I'm guessing a mixed-use TOD in place of the buildings being torn down. Probably 2 - 3 story structures lining Division and part way down Wealthy.

Wealthy and Division is one of the proposed BRT stops:

2664443731_40fa5d95ff.jpg

Hey avocado, thanks for this pic. That doesn't look half bad:

2665671669_47a0f2c253_b.jpg

Archived