The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

GRDadof3

Just got done reading the Grubb & Ellis quarterly report on retail for West Michigan, and noticed that nowhere is downtown even mentioned. How are we to expect people to take downtown seriously as a retail destination, when it is not even considered a sector to be reported on? We need to change the mindset of the local developers, before we can expect outsiders to take notice.

After talking about the infill possibilities at the Ellis lot...

I couldn't decide whether to make it as tall as Ledyard, or as tall as the building to the West, so I split the difference and lined it up with the cornice work on Ledyard. The Italian theme comes from starrfish's "Roman ruins" idea and Tre Cugini next door. The "facade" would be built entirely of brick on a steel frame:

488356627_41df4f1083.jpg 488415970_e43a091565.jpg

The times I've traveled, the things that really stand out in my memory are things that were very unconventional. Has anyone seen something similar to this before? :whistling:

Historic view here (the wild red building and the small white one preceeded MacKay tower):

rmh2394.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Monroe-Street-Grand-Ra...bayphotohosting

and here:

eBay_Store_March_Grand_Rapids_Bank.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Michigan-National-Bank...bayphotohosting

Nice projecting wall signs.

[is this GRPD?

8c_1_b.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/H3308-GRAND-RAPIDS-MI-...VQQcmdZViewItem]

Edited by Veloise

Great minds...was looking at those bare open cafe tables and chairs this week, and thinking about umbrellas or portable trees. One of the nice things about that furniture is: no one cares if you re-arrange it (or not), or put it back (or not). Almost a public art display. But I will not sit in the sun.

It looked like a real scorcher out there today:

490203488_232d472a98.jpg

490203476_73e8d71649.jpg

Veloise,

What exactly happens on Tuesday nights at Rosa Parks? I drove down there tonight, and there were a ton of people dancing and hanging around the Circle. Even with nowhere to shop, people are showing up.

Blues on the Mall is on Tuesdays if I am not mistaken.

Veloise,

What exactly happens on Tuesday nights at Rosa Parks? I drove down there tonight, and there were a ton of people dancing and hanging around the Circle. Even with nowhere to shop, people are showing up.

Swing dancing. grswing.com if I recall. It's completely ad hoc, unsponsored, unscheduled with officialdom.

As it happens, I took my camera down last night and shot both still and video.

rpc1.jpgrpc2.jpg

Veloise, your oracle for all info per DT events!!

Edited by Veloise

Swing dancing. grswing.com if I recall. It's completely ad hoc, unsponsored, unscheduled with officialdom.

Thanks!

Veloise, your oracle for all info per DT events!!

So true...

Somebody should do a story on these guys. I bet they get hot from all that dancing...wonder where they go for ice cream.

Thanks!

So true...

Somebody should do a story on these guys. I bet they get hot from all that dancing...wonder where they go for ice cream.

The Friends is open and does quite well (yummy gelatos). The Dog is open (dunno) and they have soft serve. Sam remains shuttered (guess someone's still KIAS'ing).

One of the DDA tables featured a communal water dispenser. I see a market for Coney Girl and the BotM food vendors.

But then again, this is a "disorganized coincidence" (just like the Critical Mass bicycle happening)...

So this morning I saw an ad on TV for the Village of Sparta. Sure, it had the sub-par production values of your average local TV ad, but you know what? It was probably more effective than this silly KIAS campaign. The folks in Sparta aren't keeping it a secret, and that seems to me like it would be more effective in attracting visitors. Oh, and I'll bet it didnt cost $80,000 either.

UP-GR should put out a commercial on the free public access stations around the metro and region. Anyone with a camera, idea, and software can do it -- heck GR City provides all that free of charge through the Media Center last I checked!

Though, public access might be really limiting, its free. Someone should check with WZZM, WOOD, WXMI, WLNS, WOTV, WWMT for their rates.

Edited by Rizzo

UP-GR should put out a commercial on the free public access stations around the metro and region. Anyone with a camera, idea, and software can do it -- heck GR City provides all that free of charge through the Media Center last I checked!

Though, public access might be really limiting, its free. Someone should check with WZZM, WOOD, WXMI, WLNS, WOTV, WWMT for their rates.

id be down to help... im in the process of completing a video of urban sprawl (still editing).. if ne1 would like to see pst me

this goes out especially to dad and riz for some pics

Edited by gvsusean

It depends heavily on time of day, which day, how many spots you want to buy, etc. Oh and your ability to haggle.

No, I know, my better half use to sell time slots for a Lansing station, also produces commercials -- not the crappy 1800Sundance types.

I'm curious now as to how effective a TV ad can be in this situation. Downtown is a audio visual type of place, something that a video commercial will be able to convey to the audience.

Edited by Rizzo

I was recently in the UP and in Northern Michigan.

Many persons I meet with have no clue what's happening in Grand Rapids.

Just a big city, according to some.

One could effectively market our city to these folks without too much expense.

I had a similar thought, would marketing to a specific local allow you to get a good bang for the buck and be able to track it. Make it "Sparta Night, Holland Night, etc. Offer some discounts for dinner and get people exposed to downtown without a major event going on. So the focus is not on a concert or a hockey game but just on downtown?

I was recently in the UP and in Northern Michigan.

Many persons I meet with have no clue what's happening in Grand Rapids.

Just a big city, according to some.

One could effectively market our city to these folks without too much expense.

Sunday's paper had not one, but two tabloid inserts, for Ludington and for Grand Haven. Event calendars, pretty photos, ads. Wonder if another market happens to have a daily paper wherein something similar for us could appear? (Do we have anything to appeal to the populace of the metros in K'zoo and the capital? KIAS??)

We should have another meetup. Anyone want to schedule a time and place? :whistling:

I think we should walk MC again and do a vacancy "inventory" (price per sq ft, number of empty windows, window sizes, property owners, listing agents, square footage, specific ideas per storefront, etc.). What do you guys and gals think?

We should have another meetup. Anyone want to schedule a time and place? :whistling:

I think we should walk MC again and do a vacancy "inventory" (price per sq ft, number of empty windows, window sizes, property owners, listing agents, square footage, specific ideas per storefront, etc.). What do you guys and gals think?

RPC next Weds evening.

I had a similar thought, would marketing to a specific local allow you to get a good bang for the buck and be able to track it. Make it "Sparta Night, Holland Night, etc. Offer some discounts for dinner and get people exposed to downtown without a major event going on. So the focus is not on a concert or a hockey game but just on downtown?

whts good bang for your buck??? Who r we trying to target??? to do these ads you cant say your market is everyone or your ad will be useless... you need to select a specific group say college age group and make an ad that persuades by showing what they are interested in (bars, events, etc...), after that you chosse a medium, college age kids would be T.V. ESPN, Comedy Central, MTV. its a waste of time and money to do it any other way

Personally, I can't do Tuesdays or Wednesday evenings. I can make pretty much any other weeknight or Saturday morning work.

But if Wed. works for everyone else, do it! :thumbsup:

Tuesday has the swing dance (and we don't want that distraction, at least I don't) which I why I said Weds. Anyone have a preference? Jeff sez tens of folks messaged him and said that weekday evenings are good.

I'm in, just not next week. I think it would be interesting to map out Monroe Center, Vacancies and what is there. What holes need to be filled? What businesses cluster well together in a close proximity? What do we have and what would we want to see?

I'd also like to get some good ideas on what would be good destination sites. I think a good mix of necessities for the workers and unique stores for the workers / shoppers is the key. Now what that mix is, I'm not quite sure.

Joe