Arkansas Razorbacks

Mith242

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Casey Dick actually had a good game. 14 of 17 passing for 200 yards and 4 TDs! Not bad at all even without Felix Jones playing. I would guess that the score would have been even more lopsided if they had to cover both McFadden and Jones.

I am guessing that this changes nothing for Coach Nutt. Anyone have a different opinion?

I guess I thought McFadden might have racked up some more rushing yards since this is probably his last game in his hometown. The win certainly helps Arkansas get into a bowl, but I'm not sure McFadden did enough to move up in the Heisman voting. As far as Nutt is concerned, I'm really not sure. I've now been hearing some sources saying that it depended on how Nutt finished the season. If those sources are correct then maybe Nutt did save his job today. But it's hard to tell. The national media seems to be picking up on last night's story saying he's out.

By the way Alabama lost to Sunbelt team, Louisiana-Monroe.

gallery15344562vs4.jpg

Wow, great game.

Who would have ever thought that? I still can't believe it after the way we started the game. I guess they kind of overlooked us this year, or possibly were distracted by the chance that Les Miles might go to Michigan.

Anyone have any guesses on a bowl game now? I think that we are above the Independence bowl.

That was a great game, and I'm glad for our players that we won, I'm just unhappy that the SEC won't be in the national championship (which is ridiculous) since LSU lost, and that we're probably stuck with HN again next year. It's not that I hate the guy, but I could go on for why Arkansas shouldn't be happy with mediocrity considering the quality of our facilities, players, etc.

I hope we're better off than the Independence Bowl too... It'd be nice if we made Cotton, but I would hesitate to expect it.

I think you're right about Miles, strmchsr. Even the announcers were noticing he mostly lacked the intensity and expressiveness he's famous for. This Michigan thing might have him distracted to the point right now where he's not coaching at full capacity... which is unfortunate for their team, but hey, no one can say that was a bad game.

That was a great game, and I'm glad for our players that we won, I'm just unhappy that the SEC won't be in the national championship (which is ridiculous) since LSU lost, and that we're probably stuck with HN again next year. It's not that I hate the guy, but I could go on for why Arkansas shouldn't be happy with mediocrity considering the quality of our facilities, players, etc.

I hope we're better off than the Independence Bowl too... It'd be nice if we made Cotton, but I would hesitate to expect it.

I think you're right about Miles, strmchsr. Even the announcers were noticing he mostly lacked the intensity and expressiveness he's famous for. This Michigan thing might have him distracted to the point right now where he's not coaching at full capacity... which is unfortunate for their team, but hey, no one can say that was a bad game.

Yeah I agree with you. It was great to see us win, but I wish the SEC was going to have someone play in the National Championship. I've also been hearing there's a good shot at the Cotton Bowl now. At first it sounded like Nutt still could be gone, but it sounds like that could change. I admit it would be sorta hard to believe he'd be gone after a big win like that. Besides I'm not sure who'd be available. Butch Davis signed an extension making it seem like he wouldn't be interested in coming. I'm not sure Tuberville will be leaving Auburn, especially after he beat Sabin. So I don't know if there are too many 'name' out there with Arkansas ties. Then add the fact that there's a number of vacancies open as well. Seems like it might be hard to attract a good coach.

Great game!!! I hope all Hog fans are able to enjoy it regardless of all the other drama- heck, there was enough drama in that game to satisfy anyone. When Dick completed that 4th down pass to Hillis I felt we had a real chance. I hope everyone sees this as a chance to rally behind the entire program and go on to a great bowl win.

Great game!!! I hope all Hog fans are able to enjoy it regardless of all the other drama- heck, there was enough drama in that game to satisfy anyone. When Dick completed that 4th down pass to Hillis I felt we had a real chance. I hope everyone sees this as a chance to rally behind the entire program and go on to a great bowl win.

We really need a bowl win, I don't remember the last time we won a bowl. It has been quite a while. The last one I can remember was the Win over texas at the Cotton Bowl (because I was there). But there may have been one more after that.

Yeah I agree with you. It was great to see us win, but I wish the SEC was going to have someone play in the National Championship. I've also been hearing there's a good shot at the Cotton Bowl now. At first it sounded like Nutt still could be gone, but it sounds like that could change. I admit it would be sorta hard to believe he'd be gone after a big win like that. Besides I'm not sure who'd be available. Butch Davis signed an extension making it seem like he wouldn't be interested in coming. I'm not sure Tuberville will be leaving Auburn, especially after he beat Sabin. So I don't know if there are too many 'name' out there with Arkansas ties. Then add the fact that there's a number of vacancies open as well. Seems like it might be hard to attract a good coach.

Was it really that big of a win? Besides this game there were 11 other top five teams knocked-off this year by unranked teams. Take out this game and Arkansas won 3 games in the SEC against teams with a combined SEC record of 7-17. Remember Kentucky beat both Arkansas and LSU, when they were ranked #1 the first time. What's the deal with finding a "name" with Arkansas ties? Did Florida get any ties with Urban Meyer? Did Georgia get any ties with Mark Richt. By the why his record at Georgia in 7 years is 40-16 as compared to HDN's 42-40 for 10 years.

If Nutt stays what will be his excuse next year? I can hear it now., "it's a rebuilding year" Didn't he use that two and three years ago?

Was it really that big of a win? Besides this game there were 11 other top five teams knocked-off this year by unranked teams. Take out this game and Arkansas won 3 games in the SEC against teams with a combined SEC record of 7-17. Remember Kentucky beat both Arkansas and LSU, when they were ranked #1 the first time. What's the deal with finding a "name" with Arkansas ties? Did Florida get any ties with Urban Meyer? Did Georgia get any ties with Mark Richt. By the why his record at Georgia in 7 years is 40-16 as compared to HDN's 42-40 for 10 years.

If Nutt stays what will be his excuse next year? I can hear it now., "it's a rebuilding year" Didn't he use that two and three years ago?

I agree.... It seems our fans only have a short term memory. But I have to admit, considering the 4th quarter losses against Alabama & Auburn, I was elated to see them pull out a last second win. The scuttlebutt I hear is that the new AD, Jeff Long, wants to make the change, however because of Friday's win it will be much harder. If I were him I'd wait a year... Next year's team should be pretty lacking in talent, which should lead to not as many wins, and thus, more political backing that will help instigate the change. As the brand new Athletic Director, you would be making things very hard on yourself to try and fire HDN during your first few weeks on the job.

Heaven knows I'd love to see the hogs win all their games and be in the BCS next year, but if HDN consistently proves that he can't get us to the next level, at some point the top brass need to consider finding a head coach that can.

ESPN is reporting again that Nutt won't be back. Supposedly there will be a press conference held around 6:30PM to announce it. I admit I'm a little surprised. Just seems odd timing after the big win. But well after the game I imagine things would get stirred up again. I guess we'll have to wait till everything is official but from what I heard AD Jeff Long basically wanted a change and start fresh. Sounds like the decision was made before the LSU game and that apparently didn't have any affect on the decision. I hope they have someone lined up. So we don't have another embarrassing situation like we did with the basketball head coach position. We don't have to have a 'name' coach but I think it would help. Even though Nutt wore out his welcome for me personally, I don't know if I'd get rid of him and then get just anybody to fill the position. Being in the SEC will help and having some nice facilities as well. I think that helps us out against many of the other schools currently looking for a new coach. But we also have a bit of a stigma now with all the off the field drama that's gone on the past year. Anyway we'll have to see what happens and see if this info is accurate and what happens next.

It's looking more and more that the rumors are true. Looks like some of the local tv websites are also reporting Nutt is leaving. Not a whole lot of details but sounds like he's stepping down and getting $3.5 Mil in return. I'm sure there will be more details and news about it when the local news comes on shortly.

It's looking more and more that the rumors are true. Looks like some of the local tv websites are also reporting Nutt is leaving. Not a whole lot of details but sounds like he's stepping down and getting $3.5 Mil in return. I'm sure there will be more details and news about it when the local news comes on shortly.

I'd much rather had Nutt than Miles!! we have a dream team that struggles.. no discipline or gameplan.. squeezing by on sheer talent alone.. mcfadden ate us for dinner. good win Razorbacks!

geaux tigers!

I'd much rather had Nutt than Miles!! we have a dream team that struggles.. no discipline or gameplan.. squeezing by on sheer talent alone.. mcfadden ate us for dinner. good win Razorbacks!

geaux tigers!

I had wondered what fans thought of Les Miles down there. Although I admit I'm a little surprised some would take Nutt over him.

Looks like Nutt won't even be around for the bowl game. Guess I hadn't thought about that. Guess he's certainly leaving on a high note after the LSU game. Teams like Baylor have been thrown out earlier, but sounds like Ole Miss is pretty interested in him. That will be weird having him coach another SEC West team. I wonder if that would affect recruiting here in Arkansas.

Looks like Nutt won't even be around for the bowl game. Guess I hadn't thought about that. Guess he's certainly leaving on a high note after the LSU game.

That does surprise me, I figured they'd keep him until past then. Oh well. It's costing the University a bundle, (3.5 million ish according to ESPN), and it amazes and angers me that he was offered 2.4 million a year to stay (people, he's a mediocre coach with some of the most predictable strategies and worst call history in the SEC, and we're only at about half average in conference games... Those stats don't justify 2.4 million a year), but I'm glad to see him leave. Next year probably won't be a great season as a new coach finds their groove and we lose several amazing players, but I hope they find someone worthy of the huge amount of money we're willing to throw at a salary for the job.

That does surprise me, I figured they'd keep him until past then. Oh well. It's costing the University a bundle, (3.5 million ish according to ESPN), and it amazes and angers me that he was offered 2.4 million a year to stay (people, he's a mediocre coach with some of the most predictable strategies and worst call history in the SEC, and we're only at about half average in conference games... Those stats don't justify 2.4 million a year), but I'm glad to see him leave. Next year probably won't be a great season as a new coach finds their groove and we lose several amazing players, but I hope they find someone worthy of the huge amount of money we're willing to throw at a salary for the job.

Nutt's now the leading candidate for the Ole Miss job.

I agree with you. Nutt's been here a decade and he's right about at .500 in the SEC. Recruiting is gradually worsening and this whole Springdale 5/Malzahn thing is haunting him. It's time for a fresh start.

I had wondered what fans thought of Les Miles down there. Although I admit I'm a little surprised some would take Nutt over him.

Well, I'd never take Nutt over Les Miles, but I certainly won't be disappointed if he goes to Michigan. People not familiar with LSU football and the expectations of the people down here really don't understand why so many (probably the majority) LSU fans wouldn't mind seeing him go. Looking at it from the outside...Miles has 32 wins in three seasons, and in two full seasons he has 1 BCS bowl win, 2 total bowl wins, and two top 5 finishes. What's not to like about that? 0 championships with the most talented teams LSU has seen in 50 years = unexceptable to the folks in south Louisiana.

Well, I'd never take Nutt over Les Miles, but I certainly won't be disappointed if he goes to Michigan. People not familiar with LSU football and the expectations of the people down here really don't understand why so many (probably the majority) LSU fans wouldn't mind seeing him go. Looking at it from the outside...Miles has 32 wins in three seasons, and in two full seasons he has 1 BCS bowl win, 2 total bowl wins, and two top 5 finishes. What's not to like about that? 0 championships with the most talented teams LSU has seen in 50 years = unexceptable to the folks in south Louisiana.

It does seem to me that LSU is in the opposite position of Arkansas. A coach with a lot of great talent around him but ends up having that talent around him being unrealized. While you can question Nutt's coaching and decisions he is a great motivator. After the beginning of the season it just seemed to me that LSU tended to play down to the level of the other team. Just trying to do enough in the end to win the game. I just wasn't sure if there was a majority of fans down there ready to see him go.

Well, I'm a bit annoyed that we're paying him the full 3.5 million (breaching our own contract) as he leaves, but I guess I won't complain if they can afford it. Considering he's supposedly in the lead consideration for a nearly 2 million dollar salary at Ole Miss, it looks like he'll be quite wealthy.

I just hope people can accept that next year (and maybe even one after that) are rebuilding years for reputation and recruiting. Don't expect a lot.

In addition to the offseason melodrama, the departure of McFadden, Jones, Hillis, and Monk after this season probably figured into his decision as well. Next season, with or without Nutt, looks to be rough. If there was ever a time to leave, it's now. Imagine a losing record next year when most of the state already wants you out. It would be a bloodbath. Going out with a big win, maybe the biggest win in the last 20 years, is a smart move, in my opinion, whatever the extenuating circumstances.

I really, really, really hope Arkansas can land a decent coach. The possibiliy of a well-known coach, with a proven track record, accepting an offer seems very slim to me. Hope I'm wrong.

Archived