Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

I think there definitely is but that's just my opinion. Ballantyne is apparently getting one anyway. I would just rather watch indie films in Elizabeth than the burbs. It would also be more convenient to the places most indie film watchers would be hanging out at anyway. And Ballantyne is so far from so many parts of town.

I would be happy if Landmark was in Elizabeth. If Regal pulls out I still want Grubb Properties ad an independent movie theatre. Im glad to see the gaps starting to fill in for Elizabeth Street. This area could be a great nightlife alternative to Uptown Charlotte, and accentuate the vibe Elizabeth already has.

• 3 weeks later...

Even though this isn't in Grubb's area I thought I would mention D. Smith's article about CMC tearing down it's historic Mercy school for a new nursing school. Is anyone familiar with this building? I know there are some nice old buildings around Mercy. I hope CMC isn't demolishing a nice building for another charlotte building that blands in, I mean blends in with the architectural style of the buildings around it but that looks like that is what may be happening.

Observer Article

It's my understanding that Charlotte College (the predecessor to UNCC) originally held classes at the old Central High beginning in 1946. One of the founders, Bonnie Cone, secured the new (current) location and the new campus opened in 1961. It's former location went on to become CPCC in 1963 and it was not until 1965 that Charlotte College became UNCC and part of the UNC system.

that confuses me. i knew people that graduated from central high in the late 50's. where was that central high located? i always assumed that central high and cpcc were the only 2 tenants of that location.... interesting.

I didn't realize the Garinger/Central connection. That Central High building is definitely still in use by CPCC. It was recently renamed back to the "Central High Building" or something like that. The building was converted a while ago to a boring pale stucco building with dark modern windows. It only has a minor resemblance to the image above.

In the next few years, CPCC has plans to renovate the building and restore the facade to its original architecture, to look like the image m.m posted. It will be a second anchor for the large park/plaza CPCC is building in front of their newly finished academic center facing Kings.

Yeah, my Mom went to that HS and thought it had been torn down. (she has not lived here since 1965) A couple of years ago we were riding around CPCC and she realized the ugly building there today was her old HS.

That's good news they are going to restore it. This is the reason that I am against recladding's, even the ones they are doing today.

• 2 weeks later...

It just feels like this project is, for lack of a better term, turning Levine-like. About a year ago there was so much momentum surrounding this project and it still seems like it could be one of the hottest development projects to hit the city. The waiting gets old though and I would hate to see it sputter out.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/13266298.htm

Here is an interesting article about CPCC's president Tony Zeiss.

I'm excited about the new culinary institute to be built on Kings behind the old Central High School.

I think the comments about the brick architecture are pretty funny. I can see both sides of the argument, but I do think Mr. Zeiss has a point about making the campus look like "a college".

What does the statue look like? I didn't get a chance to see it in the paper when i was home

if you get the chance you should ride by CPCC on kings dr. i noticed they were hoisting the new statue in place yesterday. i drove by today and it was on its base... still workers there doing finishing touches around the statue. she is beautiful... the offical dedication is on dec.13 or 18th? can't remember.