Charlotte's Mayoral Future

voyager12

Perhaps the reason McCrory lost is that the people of N.C. are sick to death of Republican nonsense.

N.C. now has a Democrat governor and US Senator. Hopefully this is indicative that the state is becoming more progressive. Regressive Republican Jesse Helms is gone, Faircloth is history, hateful Liddy Dole was kicked to the curb, and Mayor McCrory was handily defeated.

With lots of Americans, N.C. is seen as a theocratic, right wing state. I hope N.C.'s politics are able to show those days are coming to an end.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed. It's Richard Burr's turn in 2010. He holds John Edward's seat who did not seek reelection in 2004 when he ran for VP. It's a bit odd. This had been considered the Jr. seat for so long because it has often flipped between elections. Now in light of Doles departure, it is all of a sudden the Sr. seat .

^I have heard McCrory say this. But I am curious as to what provision in the NC State Constitution gives him the ability to go and clean up any corruption in the North Carolina General Assembly. This sounds more like meaningless campaign rhetoric that sounds good, but in which absolutely nothing would be done by the governor when he would have taken office. I am certainly willing to hear the theory on why he would be able to do such a thing.

I'd like to think Pat lost because he's been such a jerk to the two most reliably Democratic groups, African-Americans (+92 for Obama nationally) and LGBT-Americans (+43). He may be a moderate on fiscal issues, good for transit, and even brought more money to Charlotte (I was tempted to hold my nose for that very reason), but for the sake of my dignity, I am pleased that he lost. Pat should also be very worried about Anthony Foxx, because unlike Earle, this is a candidate who will build a much larger coalition than these two groups already alienated by McCrory.

^I have heard McCrory say this. But I am curious as to what provision in the NC State Constitution gives him the ability to go and clean up any corruption in the North Carolina General Assembly. This sounds more like meaningless campaign rhetoric that sounds good, but in which absolutely nothing would be done by the governor when he would have taken office. I am certainly willing to hear the theory on why he would be able to do such a thing.

• 1 month later...

I am glad McCrory is calling it quits for a myriad of reasons.

I think Anthony Foxx could be a strong candidate for the Democrats. He is too centrist for my tastes. But unfortunately for liberals like me and conservatives alike this town is run by "moderates" :unsure:

John Lassiter would be a carbon copy of McCrory. We don't need more of that.

No, Lassiter would not be a carbon copy of McCrory. McCrory was a good Mayor, even if you didn't agree with everything he did. McCrory gets it and its unfortunate that he lost the governor's race. Lassiter would be worse. He does not get it when it comes to the urban issues that we promote here on UP.

Anthony Foxx, however, would be a good choice. He gets it. Its a good thing that he made the announcement that he's running.

I am glad McCrory is calling it quits for a myriad of reasons.

I think Anthony Foxx could be a strong candidate for the Democrats. He is too centrist for my tastes. But unfortunately for liberals like me and conservatives alike this town is run by "moderates" :unsure:

John Lassiter would be a carbon copy of McCrory. We don't need more of that.

I have lived within 100 miles of CLT all my life, and by every indication that I am aware of, McCrory is head, shoulders and torso ahead of any other mayor CLT has had in modern times.

If this Lassister is a carbon copy of McCrory, then he must be the best candidate.

Under McCrory, Charlotte truly arrived as a major US city in every respect.

It is rumored that he wants Sue Myrick's seat should she decide to leave it. That would make sense since there is nothing to do in that seat and the holder does not have to fight for re-election to keep it. Sounds sorta like the mayor's seat in Charlotte and something right up his alley, given that he isn't able to win a competitive election. The only interesting thing about that are the NC democrats are to redraw these districts after 2010. Myrick's district is heavily gerrymandered to insure re-election of a GOPer so it remains to be seen if it is left intact for the 2012 election.

It should be noted that Myrick, also former mayor of Charlotte, ran for statewide office, the senate seat currently held by Burr, but was rebuffed in the primary by none other than Jessie Helms who felt that Myrick needed to stay in Charlotte. She was defeated by Lauch Faircloth, who held the seat for one term and was then defeated by John Edwards. One should not that Myrick was not going to win that seat, as GOP designee David Blamer a young rising star in the NC GOP crowd had already been deemed the heir of that seat. Unfortunately for him it came during the summer before the election that he had lied on his resume about and then lied about that. So Myrick was next in line and she has lived out her political career there ever since. Maybe the 9th congressional district is the graveyard for the political careers of past GOP Charlotte mayors.

Just being politically honest about my bias... :lol: Agree with it or not McCrory has made his decision and it's quite refreshing to close the book on him and toss around different names from both parties.

Light Rail has been such a hit in this town that most of the hardcore opponents such as Jim Puckett have admitted they were wrong. The momentum has caused clamor for extensions all over the metro. Because of this strong public opinion I have a hard time believing an anti- mass transit mayor from either party would be elected.

Foxx has some big name players on the Democratic side behind him already. He recently held a fundraiser at Cameron Harris's house and Hugh McColl is also backing him.

I believe Lassiter will draw on much of McCrory's corporate base and does seem to mimic his myopic stances on several fronts.

Other names? I like Susan Burgess on most issues but I think she is viewed as too bleeding heart by Republicans and some Democrats. Pat Mumford has a strong reputation as a truly fair minded Republican and he would be a formidable candidate in attracting bipartisan support.

It's early yet but it does seem to be shaping up as race between Lassiter and Foxx. I think it would be a close one. I would give an edge to Foxx since Charlotte has changed a great deal over the past few years demographically and politically in ways that favor Democrats. Candidates Dems have put forward over the years have been weak and the crossover vote benefitted McCrory. Foxx would be a strong choice and perhaps could bring more people home.

Although, McCrory is held in high esteem by many and to the extent that Lassiter is seen as a continuation of more business friendly politics compared to Foxx he could benefit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The Raleigh N&O has published a rumor the GOP is going to try and knock off Larry Kissell in the 2010 elections. They think he might be vulnerable especially since he is running in the maybe 2 or 3 of the 13 districts in NC where there is actually a contested election. The rest are gerrymandered such that the incumbent only has to be breathing and stay out of scandals to keep their seat.

This wouldn't be big deal except that along with this news they said the GOP was considering having Pat McCrory run for this seat. Maybe this isn't news either. However what I can't quite figure out is how he would do this. He doesn't live in that district as far as I know. Last time I looked into this, he lives in Sue Myrick's district and she hasn't given any indication that she is willing to give up this seat. I can't imagine that McCrory would try to challenge her for it in a primary.

He could live in Myrick's district and still run for Kissell's seat. The only residency requirement found in the Constitution is that the representative must "inhabit" the state, not district. That doesn't mean the fine people of the 8th district would take too kindly to the idea.

Archived