Charlotte's Mayoral Future

voyager12

I don't think we are in any danger of losing a democratic majority in state congress, so I agree, it really comes down to where the governor stands on the issue. Unless McCrory has been playing a big joke for the last 9 years, I think its very clear that he values transportation issues, and would support rail.

While I understand I can't make a direct spending correlation between subsidizing new businesses and infrastructure improvements, the amount of money being thrown at Google and Dell could have paid for over 20% of the rail line upgrades between Charlotte and DC, or almost 50% of the NC portion.

I also hope the word Democrat doesn't make anyone think that government spending will benefit any area in need. I'm projecting her "home town" of New Bern would get an new bridge to rival the Cooper Bridge in Charleston.....the one built in 1999 (when she was the chief writer of the state budget) seems so cheap and dated :rolleyes:

300px-Neuse_River_Bridge.jpeg

She is nothing but more pork-barrel politics for Eastern NC, and as a citizen of the Charlotte area, you should demand a break from this cycle.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a lifelong Democrat and I might vote for McCrory unless he starts bashing gayfolk again. I'm beyond tired of the disgraceful lack of lights on our freeways. I'm equally tired of the so-called "equity funding" of state roads (notice how Moore has started addressing this in his campaign spots, high time.)

Frankly, I'm sick of everything east of Raleigh (well, except the Outer Banks.) What do those counties do? Why do they bleed us dry and no jobs are ever created there and no one goes there? I'm sick of governors from bumf!@#$ N.C. who can't find Charlotte on a map and never even bother to come here and speak to the state's largest city.

So. I might vote for Pat. But not if he bashes gayfolk.

I try my best not to be a one issue voter. Unfortunately on the progressive issues I care about the majority of NC Dems are completely indistinguishable from Republicans. Our current Democratic governor included. I doubt Perdue would be much of an improvement. Luckily the few liberal Dems in the statehouse are in positions of power such as Speaker Joe Hackney D-Orange ( Chapel Hill) he has the clout to pressure others to keep the gay marriage ban bill permanently stalled in committee. Resulting in NC being the only state not to have banned gay marriage in the constitution in the South.

I do give Easley credit for his support of studying death penalty practices in NC, supporting education for undocumented workers and being supportive of diversifying NC's economic base beyond the fading textiles industry. McCrory talks a good game of being a uniter while running for office. However history has shown him to act like a spoiled petulant child when opposed in office. He has a condescending and disrespectful attitude toward Democrats on City Council. He rolled his eyes and snickered when Democratic City Councilwoman Nancy Carter was professionally expressing her dissaproval of his stacking city committees with cronies. That does not say "leadership" to me. His "caravan" to Raleigh was nothing but grandstanding and accomplished nothing, we don't need that meaningless pandering on a statewide level.

Politics makes for some interesting twists and turns. I read this rather interesting story in today's local paper concerning the move by Huntersville to create it's own school system by breaking away from CMS. This may end up on the ballot for the residents to vote on next November. Now given this would also require the legislature to approve it and the governor to sign it into law, it's believed that if McCroy, from Charlotte, is elected governor, he may very well veto it. (assuming one believes that Charlotte would be hurt by the loss of Huntersville from CMS) So this republican oriented area may very well go against McCroy if all of this were to fall into place.

Interesting indeed.

Easley and the Democratic majority NC Legislature, have built the one of the very few state funded passenger rail systems in the United States and have supported the purchase of hundreds of miles of ROW for future rail systems in this state. If it was left to just Amtrak, the only trains coming to Charlotte would be the one that you have to board at 130 AM in the morning. Because we have our own system, you can get on a state owned train in the morning in Charlotte and go all the way to NYC and back. (And the NC portion is on state owned tracks that are being upgraded to some of the best passenger rail in the country)

Furthermore the SEHSR project is the only one in the USA at this moment making ANY progress basically because the NC is funding all the working to move forward on it. This was after the Bush Administration in one of its first steps killed all federal funding for the high speed rail corridors when they took office in 2001.

Would you rather have a GOP operated government such as what is in SC where rail, any passenger rail, is discounted as wasteful spending?

So I hope that answers your questions on the matter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

News clips of McCrory are stating that he "made up his mind long ago" whether to run for mayor again. That distinctly sounds to me, that his governorship run was a "make it or bust" proposition. He may pop up again when Myrick retires, but I sense that he won't run for re-election. Especially since the governor's race was so close within his own county.

Great.....so who do the Democrats have that can provide a better alternative? Their last candidate was anti-tranist. :rolleyes: Foxx is not a poor choices, rather underwhelming. Burgess? Not likely. Jennifer Roberts would be a good choice....if she lived in Charlotte. Neither Smudgie or Patsy would have a chance, and would likely lose their seats if they had decent challengers in the primaries. What happened to Cannon? He seems to have disappeared.

If McCrory isn't running again, this election would be Mumford's for the taking.

Really? I thought she lived in Davidson....she is a professor there right? If she lives in Charlotte, then she would be a suitable candidate.

It also has come out that Lassiter might run if McCrory doesn't run again. He's and Peacock are probably the most moderate Republicans on the council (and Carter is probably the most moderate Democrat), though I'd still prefer Mumford to make a go, and think he would make an excellent mayor. He is very intelligent, well spoken, and is more moderate than McCrory.

Edit. I'd like to add that I'm generally been disappointed with Ed Peacock. Thought I agree with him on most issues, he's been by far the biggest wall-flower on the council.

Jennifer Roberts has lived in Elizabeth for almost 15 years and she is a professor at UNC Charlotte. I think she is doing a great job as Chair of the County Commision.

I think Anthony Foxx would be great as a Mayor and so would Pat Mumford. I'm not so keen on John Lassiter who has a tendency to be more political and also drone on into details during meetings.

I honestly think that any other year and following any other president McCrory would've won the gubernatorial race. This go around having an R beside your name was just a death wish. And the whole Obama thing. African-American voters came out in overwhelming numbers and most are traditionally democratic and will just vote the straight ticket.

It would also be interesting to me to know how many people that live in Charlotte don't even know he is our mayor.

I honestly think that any other year and following any other president McCrory would've won the gubernatorial race. This go around having an R beside your name was just a death wish. And the whole Obama thing. African-American voters came out in overwhelming numbers and most are traditionally democratic and will just vote the straight ticket.

It would also be interesting to me to know how many people that live in Charlotte don't even know he is our mayor.

Oh no I'm not saying it was because of Obama totally at all...i would blame the W mostly and the fact he is from Charlotte...and we all know that never goes well for people seeking State offices. Just not a good time to be GOP in general.

EDIT: but you are right about him not being very compelling...i don't know too much about Bev Perdue but i hope she will be progressive and see that Charlotte is in NC. I'm showing my youth here but apparently i wasn't born last time we had a GOP governor. Yeah...it was my first time voting.

Archived