Charlotte's Mayoral Future

voyager12

The way McCrory rants and raves about Raleigh you would think it's Baghdad or Tehran. It's funny that he hates the place so much but he wants to run it. It's all about high profile name recognition for McCrory though. He would have dropped Charlotte in a second if the Bush administration had liked him enough to appoint him to something. His run is rather pointless. Maybe he will do it just to get his name out there for future political office somewhere else down the line. I think we are going to end up Beverly Perdue as Governor. She will probably govern as a conservative Democrat just like Easley. For progressive Democrats like myself the majority of North Carolina Democrats might as well be Republicans.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I tend to believe he may run. One constantly hears under the radar that he is sick of being Mayor of Charlotte with all the headaches and faint praise,and would love to have something more high profile. Of course he will never admit this publicly because it's better being a big fish in a small pond than nothing at all. McCrory won't win though so he is going to be around awhile longer for better or for worse.

Reportedly he is shopping for a venue to make his announcement in his hometown of Jamestown.

Does his term as Mayor overlap when the governor's election will be? I think it does. So if he did lose the governor's election, he would still be able to come back to Charlotte as Mayor.

He filed paperwork with the state board of elections allowing him to begin his run for Gov.

I'm torn. I think he'd be an ok Gov., hopefully advocating Charlotte to get it share.

My concern...who becomes Charlotte's Mayor? Would a special election be held or would Pro Tem become mayor and their at large seat filled? I'd like to see Mumford as mayor....perhaps this is why he didn't run for re-election this past year.

McCrory made what amounts to his first campaign stop in Moore Co. Even though I'm a Democrat, I will definitely listen to what he has to say. I like that he mentioned a statewide transportation plan that looks forward 50 years, and putting the money 'where the cars are.' I'm a little hesitant on his Duke Energy ties, with respect to the environment and climate change.

Not a good start for the Mayor. This was reported in the News and Observer in Raleigh. Notice the spelling of the word that was meant to be governor. They are getting a good laugh out of it in Eastern NC. LOL!

7207zbc.jpg

It's being suggested that McCroy announced his candidacy in the obscure town of Jamestown in order to distance himself from association with Charlotte in order to win a state wide election.

Aside from his views on social issues he is a moderate Republican relative to the majority in the NC GOP. His opponents will cast him as a big city RINO and seize on his big spending ways on vanity projects and the light rail. People have said that the Charlotte curse is overblown but I still think it's a barrier to his success. It's doubtful but McCrory might win the primary since the current field has lower name recog than him. I don't see him defeating the entrenched statewide Democratic machine that is probably going to back Beverly Perdue I am guessing.

I believe he will win the Rep. nomination....I think every large city west of Raleigh will embrace him as they see him as a person who can "help them get theirs"......against Perdue...don't know.

Perdue is about as Eastern NC as you can get...looking at her website, she doesn't really say much on "progressive" social issues. She seems to be Easley repackaged. Not the worst that can be hoped for, but wouldn't help Charlotte much.

I'd like to see someone make a strong stand to get high-speed rail moving. I'd like to see subsidies DECREASE for low-paying service jobs.....

Archived