3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

OK, so I was looking for a webcam for the Childress Klein building, which quickly revealed itself to be impossible since it still doesn't have a name at 5ish floors, are they in some legal grey area where they're trying to name it something Knightish, or Beardenish, which has yet to be resolved?  Or I wonder, is there still some debate of apartments vs. condos they're waiting on which might impact the name?  Inquiring minds and stuff.

Its amazing to me. That Residence Inn never seemed like it was part of downtown... Its amazing to think that when all of this is complete, it will actually feel like downtown. Then Imagine when Woodfield on Graham is completed, it won't even be the furthest building down MLK! 

Its amazing to me. That Residence Inn never seemed like it was part of downtown... Its amazing to think that when all of this is complete, it will actually feel like downtown. Then Imagine when Woodfield on Graham is completed, it won't even be the furthest building down MLK! 

I've heard a lot of complaints from my Panthers tailgating friends that all this development is taking away many a tailgate spots... Oh well  :whistling:

• Like 1

This was always a predictable result, but vastly BETTER because then people can familiarize themselves with new desolate areas that can eventually be developed like 2nd Ward.  I'll be honest, though, I have been with people tailgating INSIDE the parking decks, which I used not realize was "a thing".  

I was recently up in DC and went to the Whole Foods near GW. And that whole foods was broken into two floors under some residential apartments. They could totally fit and do the same across from the ballpark/Bearden park 

Edited by dubone
Fixed map link

That Whole Foods is awesome! It might be challenging to draw one to Uptown right now, though. Foggy Bottom is home to George Washington University's campus and therefore has tons of foot traffic, whereas Uptown still needs to build some more density in Third Ward to get the same street presence. Not that Whole Foods considers Publix a competitor, but they also might hold off if they feel Uptown is oversaturated with supermarkets.

Veering off topic... but a quick aside: I don't think there can never be a large-scale urban grocery store in Uptown that will succeed in pulling from the likes of Myers Park or Dilworth simply because the parking access will be too much of a headache to drive in - fight into a parking deck - shop and load from a shopping cart, etc. Think about how much of a mess Trader Joes at Midtown is most of the time... And the Metropolitan has a much bigger (less expensive to build) footprint than in Uptown.    The only way we'll ever see a large-scale grocery store in Uptown is if the population is high enough to warrant it, or if someone like Publix wants to plant a very visible flag in the crown of Harris Teeter's home city....

• Like 1

Veering off topic... but a quick aside: I don't think there can never be a large-scale urban grocery store in Uptown that will succeed in pulling from the likes of Myers Park or Dilworth simply because the parking access will be too much of a headache to drive in - fight into a parking deck - shop and load from a shopping cart, etc. Think about how much of a mess Trader Joes at Midtown is most of the time... And the Metropolitan has a much bigger (less expensive to build) footprint than in Uptown.    The only way we'll ever see a large-scale grocery store in Uptown is if the population is high enough to warrant it, or if someone like Publix wants to plant a very visible flag in the crown of Harris Teeter's home city....

Perhaps you are right, but I used to go to a Whole Foods in Glover Park in DC that drew in people from Bethesda/Chevy Chase and other car oriented neighborhoods in the DC city limits. Charlotte is not DC, but I think there are a fair amount of people that will go out of their way to go to Whole Foods.

• Like 1

A Whole Foods in Uptown would sort of be a destination. It would generate its own traffic. It would draw in people from P-M, NoDa, Wesley Heights, Elizabeth, and Dilworth. Maybe Myers Park too, but I could see those people just preferring to go to the SP location.

Agreed. Think of how much of a destination it is in South Park now. Whole Foods is one of those that would allow for more surrounding retail growth if it were to land in uptown. I think Publix would to a degree, but not on the same scale as a WF.

Edited by wend28

I think it would all depend on the details.  As you point out, the Met w/ Trader Joes can be a huge mess.  But the Target right across the street is rarely a hassle.  Sure, there are significant differences between the two parking structures and attached developments.  I am not sure which differences really matter.  I just know that I never have a problem getting in and out of Target with my huge pickup truck any time any day of the week, while I won't even bother with Trader Joes after 9am.  

Somehow, at South Park, it feels like Whole Foods got it right.  The times I've been there, it's crazy busy inside, but civilized in the parking lot / garage.  I'b bet that, if they were to open Uptown, they'd get it right there too.  

Target's deck has two ways in and out and levels 1-3 can all be "preferred" for different reasons, even though level 3 is the main entrance level: made possible by good elevators and open stairs. The Met deck only has one entrance/exit to the upper levels, and unless you want to go to Staples/Marshalls, the bottom floor is by far the preferred location for parking. The stairs/elevators up and down are hard to find and slow.

Although the subject matter is the same as I continue to timelapse the Childress Klein construction of SouthMint Apartments, each one of these turns out a bit different!  In todays clip, I like the sprinklers at the park, and the flags on the stadium.  I was trying to show the pouring technique in this one, as some of my other ones focused more on the crane and other aspects.  I was surprised to capture teh window cleaning at Catalyst in this one too!  Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/SAEE-F_66rM

Oh, and it will look a LOT better if you switch the video quality to 1080p HD.

Edited by MazzoMedia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went back to the CBJ article to see if it said anything specific about the 6th/7th floor and sure enough it did...

"The development will feature, studio, one- and two-bedroom units ranging from 650 square feet to 1,250 square feet. Most of the apartments will sit atop six levels of structured parking, but those first six floors will have residential units on the front side of the building, Klein says. The seventh floor will contain the amenity center for the complex, including a saltwater pool and clubhouse." - CBJ