Ruskin Heights

CellarDoor135

It looks really good Mark. I drove by there earlier this week and saw your sign. I live and grew up in that area. I remember back in May of 1989 house just to the west of the one you are working on was cut in two with a huge Sycamore tree that fell during an extremely powerful windstorm or it could have been a small tornado. Our house on Mt Sequoyah was hit by a huge oak as well. It is a great neighborhood.

Thanks! That's neat that you grew up around there and remember the storm. Ward Davis--one of the Ruskin developers who interacts with us all on this site, lives in that house you mentioned. Small world, eh?

M

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! That's neat that you grew up around there and remember the storm. Ward Davis--one of the Ruskin developers who interacts with us all on this site, lives in that house you mentioned. Small world, eh?

M

Really, I did not know that. I have met Ward a few times and had no clue. We interact with Growth Group on an almost daily basis, I will have to bring it up the next time I see him.

Really, I did not know that. I have met Ward a few times and had no clue. We interact with Growth Group on an almost daily basis, I will have to bring it up the next time I see him.

As soon as we get this project approved, I am going to put a lot of work into bringing the Craftsman origin of the house back to light. Do you know anyone who might have photographs of the house prior to the tree hitting it?

Ward

As soon as we get this project approved, I am going to put a lot of work into bringing the Craftsman origin of the house back to light. Do you know anyone who might have photographs of the house prior to the tree hitting it?

Ward

No, I can't even remember who lived there at that time. I have pictures somewhere with the tree on the house but I am not even sure I can find them. I really can't believe that it has been almost 18 years since that has happened.

No, I can't even remember who lived there at that time. I have pictures somewhere with the tree on the house but I am not even sure I can find them. I really can't believe that it has been almost 18 years since that has happened.

I actually know the people who lived there when the tree hit the house. They used to be my parent's neighbors on Mt Sequoyah before they moved down there. The man was Presbyterian minister and they live in Albeuquerque now, but I might be able to find some pics of the house seeing that they were close family friends back then. I do remember when the tree hit , it came through one of the daughter's bedroom ceilings.

I actually know the people who lived there when the tree hit the house. They used to be my parent's neighbors on Mt Sequoyah before they moved down there. The man was Presbyterian minister and they live in Albeuquerque now, but I might be able to find some pics of the house seeing that they were close family friends back then. I do remember when the tree hit , it came through one of the daughter's bedroom ceilings.

There was a picture on the front page of the paper of the house with the tree on it. The seller of my house over there had a copy of it....

Ward

I'm glad to know that Arts & Crafts and Prairie styles have not been relegated to quaint historical trivia. It is by far my favorite architectural style for residential. Art Deco being my favorite for commercial. Let me know if you need resources for architectural detail. I have a ton of sources.

I'm glad to know that Arts & Crafts and Prairie styles have not been relegated to quaint historical trivia. It is by far my favorite architectural style for residential. Art Deco being my favorite for commercial. Let me know if you need resources for architectural detail. I have a ton of sources.

We are always looking for detail information (for the neighborhood and my current home). You ought to check out the project.

• 2 weeks later...

REMINDER

We go before the City Council next Tuesday, the 20th. The meeting begins at 5:30 in the Council chambers at City Hall. It will probably be 7:00 or so before our agenda item hits and would love to see you there. Also, please call your City Councilmembers to voice your support. Thanks!

REMINDER

We go before the City Council next Tuesday, the 20th. The meeting begins at 5:30 in the Council chambers at City Hall. It will probably be 7:00 or so before our agenda item hits and would love to see you there. Also, please call your City Councilmembers to voice your support. Thanks!

Yeah I guess it is going to be important. Apparently we allowed a new councilmember to be elected who may cause trouble. Nancy Allen is asking for building height limits downtown to be limited to 3 stories for two downtown codes. Looks like there may be many battles and begrudging debates to come, so this will make our support and letters to council members more important if we want to get some things done. Anyways, just emphasizing the importance of Ruskin's (Ward) call for "Voice your Support". Here is the article about the next agenda: NWANEWS: Next Tuesday's Agenda

Yeah I guess it is going to be important. Apparently we allowed a new councilmember to be elected who may cause trouble. Nancy Allen is asking for building height limits downtown to be limited to 3 stories for two downtown codes. Looks like there may be many battles and begrudging debates to come, so this will make our support and letters to council members more important if we want to get some things done. Anyways, just emphasizing the importance of Ruskin's (Ward) call for "Voice your Support". Here is the article about the next agenda: NWANEWS: Next Tuesday's Agenda

Great I thought the building heights were already too low. Now someone is trying to lower them further. But back to the topic. I wonder how hard this is going to be to pass. Obviously some council members are dead set against it. I know of one that there's probably nothing that anyone can do to change his mind. But I'm wondering if the traffic situation is going to influence some of the others. I've read about how connectivity is bad over in that area of Fayetteville, a lot of coul-de-sacs. So a lot of people are funneled to Mission. But of course you'll have a bigger outcry if you suggest some of those coul-de-sacs be opened up to allow better connectivity as well.

Yeah, I did everything I could in hopes that she would not be elected. If just 7 more people would have voted for Richard Osborne we would have been 100 times better off. I still thank that after the 3rd recount someone changed the ballots or something. It's a conspiracy! :ph34r:

Yeah, I did everything I could in hopes that she would not be elected. If just 7 more people would have voted for Richard Osborne we would have been 100 times better off. I still thank that after the 3rd recount someone changed the ballots or something. It's a conspiracy! :ph34r:

Nancy Allen is Ward 2 and filled Don Marr's open position.

Adella Gray is Ward 1 and ran against Osborne for Swifty's position.

Dang, I second guessed myself. I am still dissapointed. Thanks Thia.

I have met Rick a few times and think highly of him, but Adella is a very thoughtful and smart woman. She is also tough. Interestingly, you know who the first person was that told me how high their opinion is of Adella - Rick Osborne.

I have met Rick a few times and think highly of him, but Adella is a very thoughtful and smart woman. She is also tough. Interestingly, you know who the first person was that told me how high their opinion is of Adella - Rick Osborne.

I certainly hope you are right. Rick is a very close family friend and we were very dissapointed in the outcome. I have not seen Adella in action yet, hopefully she will live up to the high opinions.

Ruskin Heights is on the cover of today's Morning News. The article is pretty accurate except that it states that "preliminary studies do not indicate a soil or geological problem." That is certainly too strong a statement. We are still in Fayetteville so the soils aren't great. Just to be on the safe side, we will require lot buyers to have engineered foundations, as is recommended by the Hillside/Hilltop Overlay District Best Practices Manual.

Ward

Morning News article

Ruskin Heights is on the cover of today's Morning News. The article is pretty accurate except that it states that "preliminary studies do not indicate a soil or geological problem." That is certainly too strong a statement. We are still in Fayetteville so the soils aren't great. Just to be on the safe side, we will require lot buyers to have engineered foundations, as is recommended by the Hillside/Hilltop Overlay District Best Practices Manual.

Ward

Morning News article

Ward--if you read the comments from some of the readers of this article posted to the site that your link connects with, it shows how misinformed some people are. "Color by numbers, anonymous architecture???" This guy is wacky!

Mark

I didn't stay up late enough to see what happened at the City Council meeting. Seeing no mention here is making me wonder if it's bad news.

The meeting went very well. Last night was only the first reading, but the main presentation from us. The vote won't be until the third reading in a month.

The meeting went very well. Last night was only the first reading, but the main presentation from us. The vote won't be until the third reading in a month.

Thanks, yeah I finally figured out from the paper today that the vote wasn't going to be last night. I also read that you guys might decrease the density. I noticed that seems to be a major concern. It's too bad few people didn't figure out from the City Plan 2025 that density isn't a four letter word. More density would actually help a number of city services.

Thanks, yeah I finally figured out from the paper today that the vote wasn't going to be last night. I also read that you guys might decrease the density. I noticed that seems to be a major concern. It's too bad few people didn't figure out from the City Plan 2025 that density isn't a four letter word. More density would actually help a number of city services.

Screw that. We are going to keep the density. It is important for a ton of reasons besides our pocketbook, which seems to be what everyone is focusing on.

Looks like a few changes have been made to try to make the neighbors happy. Some of the density has been rearranged. Also looks like the tower is gone. Although if what I heard is correct they will still pay for a tower but at another location. What I hadn't figured out is if it's still going to be on Ruskin Heights land or somewhere else in the area. I'm not sure but I got the impression it would be somewhere else nearby. I'm glad the tower will still be built even if it has to be somewhere else in the surrounding area.

Archived