Ruskin Heights

CellarDoor135

I heard about a possible arson near Ruskin Heights. Anyone else heard about it?

We did have a house on site burn on Saturday night. The fire chief told my partner that it was almost certainly arson since the fire spread so quickly. The house was vacant and my guess is that it was a vagabond that broke in to do drugs or something.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is it about arsons popping up around or nearby developments? First Spring Street Lofts now this. Watch out Renaissance Tower.

It does seem a bit odd, though the Spring Street Lofts one was terrible, considering the stage of construction. I doubt they're connected, but it's still unusual.

What is it about arsons popping up around or nearby developments? First Spring Street Lofts now this. Watch out Renaissance Tower.

Yeah, it could be any one of the thousands of homeless people roaming Fayetteville streets at night looking for shelter. The Renaissance is a prime target since it did close off a popular homeless retreat in the vacant buildings at the construction site.

Oh yeah I was curious about the timeline on the phases. I did read that construction could start as early as March if approved by the City Council. But I'm not sure if I've seen anything saying just how much time will be between the different phases.

Yeah, it could be any one of the thousands of homeless people roaming Fayetteville streets at night looking for shelter. The Renaissance is a prime target since it did close off a popular homeless retreat in the vacant buildings at the construction site.

It could also have been an anti-development person lashing out against the developer.....

We still have a few crackpots around here.

I'm just glad to not be hearing about those who are opposed to tall buildings. If that comes up again, I am going to start a protest group that is against strip malls and bad, Dallas-style subdivisions!

We still have a few crackpots around here.

I'm just glad to not be hearing about those who are opposed to tall buildings. If that comes up again, I am going to start a protest group that is against strip malls and bad, Dallas-style subdivisions!

:lol:

I thought you guys might like to see the supportive editorial in today's NWA Times.

Ruskin Heights NWA Times editorial

Yeah I saw that, very nice. Ruskin I have some questions. I haven't seen much of a timeline for the phases. Do you have any ideas what kind of time frame we're looking at for the different phases?

Yeah I saw that, very nice. Ruskin I have some questions. I haven't seen much of a timeline for the phases. Do you have any ideas what kind of time frame we're looking at for the different phases?

Sorry Mith242, I had forgotten that you had asked earlier. Basically the plan is broken into five phases with us building a phase per year. We are starting on the eastern side of the neighborhood and working our way west as demand dictates. For instance, if there is a lot of demand for retail, we will build along Mission more quickly; if there is more demand for single family detached, we will build across the south property line and along the hilltop, etc. We are actually going to open up the first phase to reservations at a slight discount in the next few days (I am building a home for my family in Phase 1).

Frankly, we could develop the property much more quickly, but I think we will realize more value by selling slowly because the buyers of the last lots will see the quality of life in the neighborhood. This approach also gives folks comfort that we will build to a high quality level.

Sorry Mith242, I had forgotten that you had asked earlier. Basically the plan is broken into five phases with us building a phase per year. We are starting on the eastern side of the neighborhood and working our way west as demand dictates. For instance, if there is a lot of demand for retail, we will build along Mission more quickly; if there is more demand for single family detached, we will build across the south property line and along the hilltop, etc. We are actually going to open up the first phase to reservations at a slight discount in the next few days (I am building a home for my family in Phase 1).

Frankly, we could develop the property much more quickly, but I think we will realize more value by selling slowly because the buyers of the last lots will see the quality of life in the neighborhood. This approach also gives folks comfort that we will build to a high quality level.

That sounds totally reasonable. I was worried that it might be something like several years between each phase or something.

That sounds totally reasonable. I was worried that it might be something like several years between each phase or something.

I am buying a lot in the Bungalow Court area. I have some friends, too, who may buy up to three lots over there....

Can I assume you're keeping your old house and buying this to build a house to sell?

Yes, Rod. This Ruskin lot is purely an investment for me tho I think it will prove to be a really cool place to live. If I can fit it on the lot, I plan to build a 1500 square-foot very high quality house in Ruskin that will sell for around $350K. It will be made entirely of natural materials and hand-crafted in every way.

Yes, Rod. This Ruskin lot is purely an investment for me tho I think it will prove to be a really cool place to live. If I can fit it on the lot, I plan to build a 1500 square-foot very high quality house in Ruskin that will sell for around $350K. It will be made entirely of natural materials and hand-crafted in every way.

Interesting, I'm sure something like that will fit in well and be sought after with those with the deep enough pockets. Sounds like an interesting idea, you'll have to keep me up to date on it. :D

Interesting, I'm sure something like that will fit in well and be sought after with those with the deep enough pockets. Sounds like an interesting idea, you'll have to keep me up to date on it. :D

The bungalow court lot I am going to buy is 30 by 36 feet--you can build a two story house with an alley accessible, rear entry basement garage on it that is 26 feet wide and up to 33 feet (including mandatory front porch) deep. That means two foot side line setbacks and zero setback off of the front of the lot. But you don't need a big lot because a half acre green is virtually off your front stoop. There's no road there--only sidewalk. That's what new urbanism is supposed to be about!

The bungalow court lot I am going to buy is 30 by 36 feet--you can build a two story house with an alley accessible, rear entry basement garage on it that is 26 feet wide and up to 33 feet (including mandatory front porch) deep. That means two foot side line setbacks and zero setback off of the front of the lot. But you don't need a big lot because a half acre green is virtually off your front stoop. There's no road there--only sidewalk. That's what new urbanism is supposed to be about!

Build two tall narrow houses on it! Add more density and piss the neighbors off. :lol:

Build two tall narrow houses on it! Add more density and piss the neighbors off. :lol:

Funny! I don't think that would fly with the developers, either.

You need to check out my house at 412 E. Lafayette. I am about 4 weeks from completion......

Funny! I don't think that would fly with the developers, either.

You need to check out my house at 412 E. Lafayette. I am about 4 weeks from completion......

It looks really good Mark. I drove by there earlier this week and saw your sign. I live and grew up in that area. I remember back in May of 1989 house just to the west of the one you are working on was cut in two with a huge Sycamore tree that fell during an extremely powerful windstorm or it could have been a small tornado. Our house on Mt Sequoyah was hit by a huge oak as well. It is a great neighborhood.

Archived