Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

I love the twelve14 Pulaski building. It's got a lot of character to it.

The Bar Conference Center is grossly sterile. I'm not sure why the designers would ever hide the entrance like they did. Poor job, IMO.

The first picture of the Bar Conference Center shows the entrance looking onto the corner of Hampton and Park.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Why do you think it does not make sense? This would not be the first observatory to be built in a downtown area.

He said why it didn't make sense: light pollution. :( The telescope observatory here in Greenville at Roper Mountain Science Center is beginning to have more problems the last few years seeing things in space thanks to an increase in light pollution.

Edited by citylife

He said why it didn't make sense: light pollution.

I don't think he said "light pollution", he said complaints would start about light pollution. And, his first question was does it REALLY (his words not mine) make sense. There may be a valid reason but, if there are observatories in other cities, why does it not make sense for Columbia?

I don't think he said "light pollution", he said complaints would start about light pollution. And, his first question was does it REALLY (his words not mine) make sense. There may be a valid reason but, if there are observatories in other cities, why does it not make sense for Columbia?

Well, you're right in that regards but I think that's what he was getting at. :) An observatory in Columbia would be great. :thumbsup: I'm just not so sure downtown would be the best place for it due to the amount of lighting you have in that area. This is nothing against Columbia as I would feel that way with an observatory proposed for any downtown in any city including here in Greenville even. If there was a way they could get around that problem then it would be the best place in my opinion to have it built.

Edited by citylife

Urban areas tend to allow more uplighting and such, generating more light pollution. Maybe it's not an issue for what those two observatories look at in the sky, but Greenville's observatory has demanded less light pollution and more restrictions on lighting for a while now... Just my experience, but I'm sure Columbia's situation is SO much different and it doesn't apply to their proposal. Sign me up for a star viewing... :rolleyes:

It's pretty well-known that most observatories are in more remote areas due to the light pollution that comes from more urban areas. However, I'm not sure if the state museum's location on the very edge of downtown with not much development surrounding it makes a difference in this case or not. Also, the office buildings downtown are relatively dark at night, so that may have something to do with it the decision to have it as part of the museum. At any rate, I'm more than certain that all of this was taken into consideration when the decision was made to build the observatory as an addition onto the state museum. I do like how the addition looks from the renderings in the DDRC application.

Besides being a tourist attraction the point is to get people, particularly kids, excited about science- astronomy and physics being the main subject areas here- this is a very logical addition for the state museum. If you've been to ANY observatory regardless of it's location, you can understand how powerful an experience looking through a real telescope at the stars can be. The planetarium will help, but it's not the same as the real thing.

As far as the one-story building we discussed earlier that will be built on the old bus barn site, it's definitely underwhelming. It will be a SCANA customer service center with (get this) five drive-thrus. And if that isn't bad enough, SCANA might also build an electrical substation on the site at Huger and Hampton streets one block from the riverfront. So moving out of downtown wasn't enough; now they want to waste a prime piece of property on a crappy customer service center, PLUS build an ugly substation near the riverfront? Can we say "worst corporate citizen EVER"? They are just plain horrible; there's no other way to put it.

As far as the one-story building we discussed earlier that will be built on the old bus barn site, it's definitely underwhelming. It will be a SCANA customer service center with (get this) five drive-thrus. And if that isn't bad enough, SCANA might also build an electrical substation on the site at Huger and Hampton streets one block from the riverfront. So moving out of downtown wasn't enough; now they want to waste a prime piece of property on a crappy customer service center, PLUS build an ugly substation near the riverfront? Can we say "worst corporate citizen EVER"? They are just plain horrible; there's no other way to put it.

OMG No thats a horrible thing to do to that area. a few mixed used places would of been better used then this peice of crap. even i can say that. WORST IDEA EVER! mad.gif

This is UNBELIEVABLE - how can we allow this to take one of the prime locations in the VIsta? What a disaster for Columbia. Meanwhile, while Greenville and Charleston improve year to year, we fall behind. What a shame.

This is UNBELIEVABLE - how can we allow this to take one of the prime locations in the VIsta? What a disaster for Columbia. Meanwhile, while Greenville and Charleston improve year to year, we fall behind. What a shame.

While this is certainly a less-than-ideal project, the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side as I know of some planned/constructed projects in at least one of those cities that will have/have drive-thrus in relatively urban areas. But I do agree that some zoning changes need to be put in place to avoid developments like this in the future. As far as this project goes, I'm more disappointed in SCANA than anything else. Their attitude seems to be, "It's our land and we'll do what we want." Piss poor corporate citizen they are. At this point, it would probably benefit Columbia more if Duke Energy bought them out. Fred Delk also deserves some blame as well, since his attitude seems to be that any development is better than no development at all. That is absolutely the wrong attitude to have and sends the message that anybody can get away with building just about anything in an urban/semi-urban/revitalizing area in the city. That's no way to improve the urban fabric of the city's core.

^^That's a gross proposal, and sad to see for any urban environment. Really, FIVE drive thrus?!

Greenville just voted to eliminate drive thrus as an automatic right for properties zoned for the CBD. I think it'd be wise for Columbia to look into something similar.

My thoughts exactly. I didn't know Greenville did that, but I agree that Columbia needs to do the same.