Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

Looks like a good design in a good location (close to the Convention Center). I like that they are requiring stringent rules about the parking lot in the back and as said earlier, it is possible to later move the parking to a close garage or something similar. I am also glad they have a retail spot facing Gervais to help continue to streetscape better.

The small lot facing Lady isn't ideal, but it does look like they are trying to mitigate that as much as possible. A widened walkway with more trees on either side uplit at night leading to the rear entrance and, by extension, the alley on the east side of the building, plus bollards, is about as good as you can get in this situation.

• 2 months later...

The Edventure Children's Museum is seeking funding for an upgrade.

Quote from the article:

"The museum is shifting its attention increasingly to health, nutrition, farming, energy, environment, technology, engineering and mathematics in response to recommendations from parents and educators, she said. Some examples she cited include the butterfly garden and a health exhibit.

The museum has raised $3 million so far, she said, hoping to get the remainder from public sources."

http://www.thestate.com/2012/02/15/2153698/change-afoot-at-edventure-childrens.html

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool. Was actually thinking about this project when I was in Columbia over the weekend and rode past the building.

I like how the linear nature of the buildings in the Vista allow for restaurants to open up along the side and offer patio seating, but at the same time that makes it all too easy to have parking directly adjacent to the building which is one reason why I think the Vista isn't quite as pedestrian-friendly as it could be.

Very cool. Was actually thinking about this project when I was in Columbia over the weekend and rode past the building.

I like how the linear nature of the buildings in the Vista allow for restaurants to open up along the side and offer patio seating, but at the same time that makes it all too easy to have parking directly adjacent to the building which is one reason why I think the Vista isn't quite as pedestrian-friendly as it could be.

What you suggest in place of the parking? Another building? Maybe a building will be built on each parking lot some day. I notice a walkway all the way down the east side of the building in this case.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I think the attached plan is an improvement for the wall.

You forgot to post a link, but I guessed you were talking about something on the April DDRC agenda. I did find a submitted item but it wasn't about building materials of the proposed hotel; it was about a way create a buffer between the rear surface lot and the sidewalk. The item stated that two proposals were submitted, but this one only covered one, which is a brick/wrought iron gate. The DDRC rejected this proposal.

https://www.columbia...is_823_Eval.pdf

You forgot to post a link, but I guessed you were talking about something on the April DDRC agenda. I did find a submitted item but it wasn't about building materials of the proposed hotel; it was about a way create a buffer between the rear surface lot and the sidewalk. The item stated that two proposals were submitted, but this one only covered one, which is a brick/wrought iron gate. The DDRC rejected this proposal.

https://www.columbia...is_823_Eval.pdf

Oh. Well I hope the city doesn't scare them off. The brick and wrought iron fence could be knocked down later for something better. I was just focused on the brick and figured that was an improvement.

• 4 weeks later...

So in April, the developers of the proposed Hyatt Place submitted plans for a brick street wall with wrought iron fixtures at the top, which was rejected:

streetwall1.jpg

This month, a new streetwall design is being proposed that has tall brick columns and planters behind the wall portion. The DDRC recognizes it as a step in the right direction but is also recommending a rejection of this proposal:

streetwall2.jpg

I noticed a while ago that both retail spaces facing Pulaski Street on the ground floor of the Lofts at Printer's Square say "SOLD." Both spaces are relatively large.

One space will be a headquarters for M Gourmet and the other space will be an M Grille restaurant.

http://www.thestate.com/2012/05/11/2271821/m-corporate-office-opens-in-columbia.html

Edited by lucjanrc