RI General Election | Nov. 7, 2006

Cotuit

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was surprised to see that the (relatively paltry) bond issue for Ft. Adams failed. Best I can guess is that people got a little nervous about approving so many expenditures and decided that, of all the proposed bonds, Ft. Adams was the least important -- and thus the easiest to sacrifice.

I'm still disappointed, of course, but I can understand that line of thinking. Standing at the ballot booth myself, I got that same nervous feeling about approving so much spending.

Ft. Adams supporters have promised to explore alternative sources of funding. Happy about that.

See that's the thing: it does need the improvements. Most of the Fort is a ruin - literally. Go in there one day; vegetation has overgrown most of the fort. If restored, the fort will act as a huge economic engine - it's a historic building with plenty of room and a great location. I think this is a matter of upstate voters not really knowing the condition of the Fort and assuming that since A) it's in Newport and B) the festivals take place there, it must be a-okay. They voted for RWP because they are familiar with it.

They voted for RWP because it's in the top 5 for tourist attractions in the state that contribute to the overall economy. Aside from the zoo, the park is host to many more events than Fort Adams and is more widely used.

I rejected almost all of the bonds with the exception of RWP. Fifty million for affordable housing? How exactly is that going to be spent? Will that be more poor quality construction "modular homes" like we have in Pvd or grants to give first time homebuyers that the majority will end up in foreclosure because they can't afford the property tax bills? I consider myself an avid nature lover and years ago, I approved the multi-million dollar open space bond. Where was all that money spent? When the West Greenwich development scandal was going on a few months ago, why was there no $$ left over from that bond to just buy the land? Too many pet projects and too many people benefitting off of state coffers...

Also, why does RI always have these bonds requesting citizens to approve multi-million dollar bonds? Esp. in a state with one of the highest deficits in the country...Why doesn't this throw up red flags to the taxpayers? Overall, I'm disgusted with the outcomes of the elections. I don't think Whitehouse spells doom and gloom, but I think he represents a typical RI politician. He was good friends with Buddy. Chaffee may have been a Republican but he was one of the only senators in the entire country to stand up to his party and fight for principle. Voters went to the polls and elected people on the Anti-Bush ticket. Some of the candidates could've been hard core drug users and they would've been elected if they were Democrats.

Fifty million for affordable housing? How exactly is that going to be spent? Will that be more poor quality construction "modular homes" like we have in Pvd or grants to give first time homebuyers that the majority will end up in foreclosure because they can't afford the property tax bills?

There was a huge public campaign about the housing bond issue, including a very good website. If you had these questions, there were plenty of opportunities to educate yourself. You might find answers to the above questions on the Question 9 fact sheet or somewhere else on the Vote Yes on 9 website .

Also, I'm not aware of any affordable housing developer in Providence that uses modular housing. The poor construction you see is being built by for-profit developers and sold at market prices ($250,000 and up for a two-family).

The verbage is extremely vague. As far as "modular housing", I didn't mean it literally. I was referring to the low-income poorly constructed garbage homes that have popped up all over the city. They look terrible after just a couple of years. I would rather see housing tower projects than those awful houses.

Key Republican joins Dems opposing Bolton nomination:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/11/10/bol...ress/index.html

Kudos to Sen. Chafee for blocking Bolton's nomination. This goes to show there are good moderate Republicans out there who were willing to stand up to the religious right.

Did anyone read the article in the Journal today on Chafee? I blame his loss sqarely on Laffey. I voted for Chafee because I liked his independence on the issues and his willingness to stand up for what he believed in. Let's hope Whitehouse lives up to that.

Key Republican joins Dems opposing Bolton nomination:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/11/10/bol...ress/index.html

Kudos to Sen. Chafee for blocking Bolton's nomination. This goes to show there are good moderate Republicans out there who were willing to stand up to the religious right.

Did anyone read the article in the Journal today on Chafee? I blame his loss sqarely on Laffey. I voted for Chafee because I liked his independence on the issues and his willingness to stand up for what he believed in. Let's hope Whitehouse lives up to that.

Like many, I found this an agonizing decision. I ended up voting for Whitehouse because control of the Senate was in play and it would not have gone to the Dems without a Whitehouse victory. I probably would have voted for Chafee if control of the Senate had not been a factor. My hope is that Chafee will continue in public life perhaps as RI's next governor. His father was a senator and a governor and maybe he can follow in his footsteps.

Archived