Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

8 hours ago, eandslee said:

An awesome photo of downtown I found on Facebook.  She’s pretty!

IMG_6339.jpeg

Wonderful find, my dear friend. And even though you didn't personally snap the photo - you've more than earned what I'd argue is a well deserved finder's fee - let the Mrs. know that some fine, top-quality RVA/UP Silver Hardware is on the way to you. Mazal Tov - and well done!

image.png.f02fe8d5fcffad24d28b76fd182b7ead.png

• Thanks 1

Love these!  Awesome perspective from the south side of the Rivah!  Thanks so much for posting!  I’m sure you’ll get the silver port-a-potty award coming your way very soon!

It’s cool how you can even see the Bakery Lofts from there!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CitiWalker said:

Images from across the riva…

IMG_0161.jpeg

IMG_0163.jpeg

IMG_0164.jpeg

IMG_0165.jpeg

These are outstanding! Love that we can see and account for construction of both the Bakery Lofts building and the CoStar tower, as well as the amphitheater. ANNNNND - it's pretty neat to see the very top of the Parc View building just kinda peeking out above the roofline of the Berkshire. Seems like for so long we were watching THAT building rise - and now it's done (yes?) and other buildings are underway. 

And, @eandslee is, indeed, correct, @CitiWalker -- some freshly polished, officially licensed RVA Silver Hardware is being loaded into the shipping crate and will be on the way to you straight away. Well done, my friend. Mazal Tov!!! And thanks for the awesome photos. 

image.png.5f2713bc40117ff5ed2c8b9d87a9888f.png

Edited by I miss RVA

• 3 weeks later...

Man oh man... it's looking kinda ugly on ugly there in the River City. Hoping no severe weather will come your way.

Here in Chicago - we have a tornado watch in effect until 10 p.m. CST - and there's a possibility of what Dr. Reed Timmer calls "gorilla hail" (the Storm Prediction Center is advising potential for hail "up to 3 inches in diameter") ... ugh...  Oh - and we could get snow tomorrow morning. 

Am a little nervous here right now... 

Screenshot (4080).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Man oh man... it's looking kinda ugly on ugly there in the River City. Hoping no severe weather will come your way.

Here in Chicago - we have a tornado watch in effect until 10 p.m. CST - and there's a possibility of what Dr. Reed Timmer calls "gorilla hail" (the Storm Prediction Center is advising potential for hail "up to 3 inches in diameter") ... ugh...  Oh - and we could get snow tomorrow morning. 

Am a little nervous here right now... 

Screenshot (4080).png

Just a little rain storm (as part of a cold front) coming through. Sure does look ominous though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Just a little rain storm (as part of a cold front) coming through. Sure does look ominous though. 

It does! I hadn't kept up with the web cams this afternoon (was busy) and when I jumped on to see how things were at N. Chasen in Scott's - I almost fell out of my chair. So i switched over the TV-8 cam and got the pic I posted. Man... 

Hoping we dodge the bullet tonight - weather folk around these parts are a little nervous about severe weather tonight. Boy - I miss the days when it actually snowed in February instead of having severe thunderstorms.

I love severe weather and chasing severe storms and tropical systems as well.  When I used to live at Kensington Court Apartments, I make my way to the roof when severe weather would approach.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Shakman said:

I love severe weather and chasing severe storms and tropical systems as well.  When I used to live at Kensington Court Apartments, I make my way to the roof when severe weather would approach.

If you haven't seen him, you'd LOVE Dr. Reed Timmer's tornado chases -- omg - those are INSANE. And he's not just chasing for thrills and giggles or to get cool photography. He has a Ph.D. in meteorology and does extensive research on tornado genesis. He has worked on numerous projects, the most recent of which have involved attempting to fly drones loaded with certain specific weather sensors into a funnel cloud, and actually positioning a specially-made armored research vehicle JAM PACKED with equipment, sensors, etc., in the direct path of an approaching twister. He managed to take a direct hit last year - fortunately it was a weak tornado. Even though he was in a specially armored vehicle, I'm not sure he would have survived a direct his from a storm of EF-5 strength. There's only so much you can do if your armored vehicle gets thrown a quarter mile through the air and lands who knows where...

River City's seein' (or singin') the blues...

The Dominion and Wells Fargo buildings are decked out in blue tonight. Ditto the lettering atop the south face of Gateway Plaza. Wonder what's happening?

Check it out!

Screenshot (4141).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

Dominion is blue 90% of the time (it’s their logo color).  The old Wachovia /Wells Fargo building  (three rings of neon) has been blue for a while now (months if not a year, it does change with holidays like Dominion though).  It looks good in blue.  I hope it stays that way :) 

The skyline has been looking good at night these days.  The lights are actually working and on with consistency. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

Dominion is blue 90% of the time (it’s their logo color).  The old Wachovia /Wells Fargo building  (three rings of neon) has been blue for a while now (months if not a year, it does change with holidays like Dominion though).  It looks good in blue.  I hope it stays that way :) 

The skyline has been looking good at night these days.  The lights are actually working and on with consistency. 

Whoops!! Yeah - I meant Wells Fargo - ugh... (I fixed it in the original post - thank you for the clarification, my friend! 🙂 I've seen the three neon rings on the "wedding cake" top in all red, all white and even all green (this is outside of the holidays, obviously). Really cool to see it in all blue.

It's pretty neat that the skyline has these kinds of distinctive lights on some of the buildings.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2024 at 5:47 PM, eandslee said:

A cool little map tour of Downtown Richmond sponsored by Venture Richmond. Just something to mess around with since development is kind of slow right now. Enjoy!

https://venturerichmond.com/live-downtown/virtual-tour/

The view of the city from Tredegar Green is amazing, it would really be cool to see a bunch of 250-300ft residential buildings going up in Monroe Ward; that would really extend the city skyline and urban feel of the city.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, urbanlife said:

it would really be cool to see a bunch of 250-300ft residential buildings going up in Monroe Ward; that would really extend the city skyline and urban feel of the city.

1f3af.png.054b65cf7d7a17668ae9e6ee8da38826.png  1f4af.png.b002f02d2b4d74f84ef787f3c5273c0a.png !!! Amen to that!!!

My whole life, I've dreamed that Monroe Ward would ultimately look like a miniature version of this:

1.webp

I know - it's a pipe dream - but hey, I'm 61 and I've wanted this for downtown RVA since before I was 10 years old.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

1f3af.png.054b65cf7d7a17668ae9e6ee8da38826.png  1f4af.png.b002f02d2b4d74f84ef787f3c5273c0a.png !!! Amen to that!!!

My whole life, I've dreamed that Monroe Ward would ultimately look like a miniature version of this:

1.webp

I know - it's a pipe dream - but hey, I'm 61 and I've wanted this for downtown RVA since before I was 10 years old.

I get that, though I always imagined it like a Southern Back Bay, which I guess is a Manhattan Upper Westside for Boston.

Boston_skyline_from_Longfellow_Bridge_September_2017_panorama_2.thumb.jpg.11310345b619b5afa28c95eb220a7c12.jpg

boston_141_0243_up.thumb.jpg.c9712179bb0afcd1cbd666e220e34ea5.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, urbanlife said:

I get that, though I always imagined it like a Southern Back Bay, which I guess is a Manhattan Upper Westside for Boston.

Boston_skyline_from_Longfellow_Bridge_September_2017_panorama_2.thumb.jpg.11310345b619b5afa28c95eb220a7c12.jpg

boston_141_0243_up.thumb.jpg.c9712179bb0afcd1cbd666e220e34ea5.jpg

Add height to Back Bay and we'll have something. That's why my vote is more toward Manhattan's Upper East/West sides. Height AND density. 👍😃

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I took one of @CitiWalker's outstanding photos and cropped it down to focus mainly on Monroe Ward (and to include my all-time favorite image.png.ccc0615ba2e03b49c341ca4720598796.png RVA building - the CNB Building.  But of particular interest is RVA's "second skyline" that in some ways goes kind of unnoticed. Mind you, it's been VERY slow to fill out and grow up with only the Parc View Commonwealth being the last high-rise built in that part of the city in at least the last 15 years. However, when you include the VCU Campus, the BIG dorm at Laurel and Franklin - and the Gladdings Residence Center at Laurel and Main really stand out.

I still hold out hope that before my tuchus is laid in the ground, I'll live to see towers spout up in Monroe Ward. Lots of towers. The potential is there - and can  you imagine how downtown RVA would look with a robust western part of the skyline?

Here's a thought: much as we often talk about how downtown needs an iconic, "signature" tower (or two - or even three) and the most logical place for it/them to be would be in/near the legacy Financial District/riverfront area - or perhaps up around City Center (if it ever comes to pass). How about Monroe Ward? With all the potentially developable surface lots there, how amazing would it be to see a "signature" building rise in that part of downtown?

I know - a pipe dream (like all the other dreams I have about this city and the airport and the metro, etc.) - but man... just think about how that could be.

Photo (edited) courtesy of @CitiWalker:

IMG_0262.jpeg.fc6cf51a6c367759eb29607de2351d9f - Copy.jpeg

• Like 2