WNBA Team is Coming to Rogers!!!!!

KJW

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoa. Clearly I'm behind the curve.

I'm still skeptical. All these minor league/major league (WTF!) teams in the same, mid sized metro is bound to set up failure for at least one of the franchises. My bet is on the WNBA or NBDL.

This truly is an amazing time to be an Arkansan....... I used to think we were basically the same as Mississippi....but that has pretty much changed completely over the past decade. Two NBDL teams. Two AA teams. And a freakin' WNBA team that is *NOT* in Little Rock. Defintely would have been a WTF moment 10 years ago.

I feel confident that southwest Rogers, from Pinnacle Hills to Lowell, will soon have the highest urban density in NWA. It'll also be the largest urban area in NWA before long. I doubt the actual city of Rogers will ever have infill since there are still quite a few buildings still sitting empty. A new business park that opened just a few years ago is still mostly empty and little strip centers are still being built. It's starting to look like Rogers will soon be a suburb of Pinnacle Hills.

It could just be a matter of time. There was a time when everyone left downtown Fayetteville for other areas. In particular to the north part of town near the Mall. But I think it's still possible to see other areas of Rogers become hot spots in the near future. I still have to think that eventually the area of Rogers closest to Beaver Lake will eventually take off. I can't imagine that area staying the way it is and being that close to the lake. I think eventually Rogers will be big enough that it can support more than one 'hot spot'. Maybe a bit like Fayetteville seems to be doing now.

I can't see it happening in Rogers... downtown is just too far off of I-540 to make a draw. Even downtown Fayetteville is halfway surrounded by I-540 and has several access points to it, whereas downtown Rogers only has one. The rest of Rogers is just too far behind in development and still contains too many old, dilapidated areas and old vacant buildings to become a "hotspot" any time soon. The growth being seen on Hudson is very limited due to the distance from I-540. That business park I mentioned is on Hudson, halfway between I-540 and Hwy 62 and it's still a "dead" area. The new Sam's Club and all the developments happening around it belong to Bentonville and any growth that creeps into Rogers owes thanks to Bentonville.

Another "hotspot" of Rogers would be the Scottsdale area, but other than a few restaurants and a new extended stay hotel not much growth is happening there. Any growth along Walnut in Rogers stops dead at the Wal-Mart Supercenter that is about halfway between I-540 and downtown. There are still several empty spaces in the Scottsdale expansion buildings that were built several years ago.

As you can see, the only real place of any interest in Rogers is the Pinnacle Hills area. I know Rogers pretty well and and can honestly say it's a lame town that won't get any better, other than the Pinnacle Hills area.

Granted it is closer to I-540 but I never though of it as being that particularly close to it or that it has many affects on our downtown. I guess I've always considered the Scottsdale area a part of the Pinnacle area. But I admit maybe that's more of a view of someone who doesn't live up there. Maybe it won't happen anytime too soon but I still think downtown Rogers and east Rogers close to the lake have a lot of potential and will eventually have more going for them.

Interstate access has a large effect on all downtowns. The more access to the interstate the more access to the downtown. Scottsdale Center in Rogers is part of the Walnut/Walton "strip" and other than being in close interstate proximity to Pinnacle Hills it's not considered part of Pinnacle Hills area.

Another downtown Rogers business just closed... this time a gallery. There's no indication whatsoever that downtown Rogers will ever grow. In fact, it'll be lucky to not become a boarded up ghost town.

If this are keeps growing I don't see how it will end up boarded up. Redevelopment will occur eventually. If only in the fact that Rogers starts running out of undeveloped land. I think people will eventually see the advantages of the downtown area. Rogers actually does have a very nice downtown historical area. I don't know if I could see it as another Dickson. But I could possibly see it eventually being a little like the Fayetteville Square.

I disagree. There's a condo project that's about to start called the Peachtree at the Lane. It's going to be in that former nursing home building that is 5 or 6 floors. Not to mention all of the new restaurants and retail that continue to pour into downtown. I admit it's no downtown Fayetteville, but it's certainly not going to become a ghost town.

If this are keeps growing I don't see how it will end up boarded up. Redevelopment will occur eventually. If only in the fact that Rogers starts running out of undeveloped land. I think people will eventually see the advantages of the downtown area. Rogers actually does have a very nice downtown historical area. I don't know if I could see it as another Dickson. But I could possibly see it eventually being a little like the Fayetteville Square.

Downtown Rogers is very nice. It has a lot of potential. It has some thing downtown Fayetteville doesn't have. Downtown Fayetteville isn't a historical district. More of Rogers historical buildings have been saved. It might not happen overnight but people will eventually realize there's a gem in downtown Rogers and people will start focusing more on it. I don't know if it will become like downtown Fayetteville. But I don't think downtown Rogers is going to fall into disrepair and obscurity either.

The city of Fayetteville has reestablished the Historic District Commission and is working with the state preservation organization to establish 2 or more commercial historic districts within the 350 acres that is considered downtown Fayetteville. It will take some time (6-18 months) but the work has begun to formalize the historic areas (1-district defined and recognized by the National Register) and then hopefully protect some of the older buildings (2-establish some design guidelines.) You can probably expect one district to be identified at a time so it will be ongoing process.

It's going to be very tough to sell 5000 season tickets for WNBA with minor league baseball season completely overlapping. If that were to happen it would really cut into the number of season tickets sold for baseball, which I was guessing would be around 3-4000.

I just hope that being too aggressive about bringing in multiple teams isn't going to create two losers instead of one winner. The pie's only so big and the UA is going to eat most of it anyway. I think ECHL and minor league baseball will both do very well but if the WNBA and NBADL all get thrown into the mix I could see everything flopping, especially if UA sports are doing well.

I think baseball will last. Hockey probably will as well, though it didn't in Little Rock. A lot will depend on how it's packaged. I don't think the WNBA or NBADL/ABA will. There's already a better product in place in that sport.

Alltel was so successful it actually ran off ECHL hockey and UALR basketball because they weren't real moneymakers for the facility. One or two decent concerts pulled in more than the entire ECHL season at 3000/game. The arena is raking in money now that they're gone, earning a half mil a month in tax dollars at the same time. Talley should learn from that and be cautious about overbooking with minor league sporting events. You don't want to pass on major concerts and events all the time because you don't have dates open.

Archived