Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate

wrldcoupe4

I saw men yesterday, surveying around the James Center. When I passed by once, they were in a surface parking lot on front of the James Center. The second time I passed by, they were in the Plaza of the James Center.

There's also a tower crane down in this part of town. What's it doing?

woah, surveying down there is an interesting observation.... Those are two places where new towers could be built. There is a tower nearby, but it's at the Fed reserve which is doing some sort of remodeling on the lower levels. Some of the panels have been taken off of one of the legs of the tower.

Also, it might be true that the James Center has air rights to build over top of the RMA parking deck. At least they used to I think... So, while unlikely, it's possible that one day there could be a tower on top of a parking deck on top of an expressway :lol:

woah, surveying down there is an interesting observation.... Those are two places where new towers could be built. There is a tower nearby, but it's at the Fed reserve which is doing some sort of remodeling on the lower levels. Some of the panels have been taken off of one of the legs of the tower.

Also, it might be true that the James Center has air rights to build over top of the RMA parking deck. At least they used to I think... So, while unlikely, it's possible that one day there could be a tower on top of a parking deck on top of an expressway :lol:

AND a dozen floors added to James Center III!!!!

But where are the tenants?

Are any rumors circulating about Mead/Westvaco?

Cope, what do you think about my renewed worries Re: Wachovia?

Edited by burt

Every now and then I visit the Charlotte page to learn of the newest "skyscraper of the week" news.

The possibility that Wachovia may move all its operations to Charlotte has been discussed and dismised here in past months. But Wachovia's plans for a monster tower down there worry me. Will they pull the plug on Richmond operations?

Burt.. I don't think you should have any fears. They've just added the Wachovia Securities letters atop their Riverfront Plaza Tower. I highly doubt they'd pay to have that done if they were planning on moving to Charlotte soon :thumbsup:

Richmond-based Owens & Minor buys McKesson unit assets

Owens & Minor Inc. is buying the assets of a McKesson Corp. unit in a $170 million deal that will expand the medical- and surgical-supply company's customer base....

Owens & Minor expects the acquisition to add at least $800 million to its revenue, which was $4.8 billion in 2005.....

Owens & Minor will add about 100 sales representatives from McKesson to its existing sales force of 250....

:thumbsup:

Wachovia Bank and Wachovia Securities are separate enough that there's really no need for them to consolidate locations. Besides, WS has taken over so much space in Riverfront the last couple years that a move anytime soon would likely be cost prohibitive. Their trading floor alone would be a immense expense to relocate.

Wachovia Bank and Wachovia Securities are separate enough that there's really no need for them to consolidate locations. Besides, WS has taken over so much space in Riverfront the last couple years that a move anytime soon would likely be cost prohibitive. Their trading floor alone would be a immense expense to relocate.

I certainly hope you're right, BGW. When I read on the Carolina pages that Wachovia in Charlotte may build higher than Bank of America, it makes me shiver in fear. :unsure:

The Wachovia Securities sign has been placed on the opposite side as well.

I predict the next new "destination" restaurant downtown will be in the vacated Downtown Club space atop Riverfront West. I haven't any inside info on this; it's just my guess since there is, at present, no dining room with a skyline view.

I predict the next new "destination" restaurant downtown will be in the vacated Downtown Club space atop Riverfront West. I haven't any inside info on this; it's just my guess since there is, at present, no dining room with a skyline view.

The top floor of One James Center has an upscale restaurant. I found it to be better then the Downtown Club.

The top floor of One James Center has an upscale restaurant. I found it to be better then the Downtown Club.

Yea, but that's the very private BULL & BEAR CLUB. We plebians are not allowed in even with a fistful of dollars. :)

There used to be a very nice open-to-the-public rooftop restaurant atop Lexington Tower Apartment Building (now, I believe, called Trolley Square - what a silly name!!!). It's directly across Franklin Street from The Jefferson Hotel. But it closed a long time ago.

Edited by burt

I havent heard too much yet, maybe my source got it wrong, Ill check again soon.

They said theyve spoken with Unicorp, when they announce the square footage and height of the towers it will appease them. They said they like the looks of Henrico, but would also love to be in the city. They have expressed great interest in WBV, and have also been looking at Centennial. Neither have announced anything of much lately, and Meadwestvaco can alter both of these projects greatly.

Edited by TBurban

Is Unicorp the company that is developing WBV?

If the NIMBYs succeed in reducing the height of WBV towers, that may be good news for Centennial because I infer from your comments, Tommy, that Mead/WV wants more space than a 12 story tower can provide.

First time I've ever cheered on NIMBYs! :lol:

Is other property downtown, like an expanded James Center and the Fed Reserve lot, still in the running?

Old Doug (Wilder) better shag arse and convince M/Wv that Downtown Is The Place To Be!

Edited by burt

Interesting Tommy... IMO, Centennial would seem like a less likely choice than a new tower at the James Center. That Federal Reserve lot would seem more likely too... In case no one has noticed, the trend for high end office space has it moving closer and closer to the riverfront, making Centennial's Main St address potentially less desireable.