Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate

wrldcoupe4

:D Its what I do best, but since Im on my way out, I wont have time to quote anything, but heres the link :thumbsup:

Apartment demand strengthens in region

Wow - I would like to know where. In the Museum and Fan Districts, a large number of apartments have been converted in condos so far this year. A number of conversions continue.

It seems to me that Richmond is large enough and of sufficient importance to have foreign counsulates and a World Trade Building. Perhaps a re-clad Richmond Plaza could convert to the trade center and some fashionable homes on West Franklin and Monument Avenue could become prestigeous Counsulates. :)

Edited by burt

It seems to me that Richmond is large enough and of sufficient importance to have foreign counsulates and a World Trade Building. Perhaps a re-clad Richmond Plaza could convert to the trade center and some fashionable homes on West Franklin and Monument Avenue could become prestigeous Counsulates. :)

That would work. The city could have a competition to see who submits the best design, like they did for the World Trade Center in New York. Good idea, Burt :D

There's a very interesting story on today's TD Metro/Virginia pages about Douglas Jemal. He is facing bribery charges in a D.C. court in September, but expects it to be settled in his favor. He tells Richmond to expect to see a lot more of him in October.

Maybe if they think it is a worthwhile piece one of our Master Linkers will post the story here. :)

Douglas Jemal...

Regarding the Jemal's purchase of the 23-story art-deco CNB tower:

"He has the intuition," said Ukrop, who watched, amazed, as Jemal kicked the column of the art deco building and declared: "This is solid. I'll buy it."

In May 2005, a month after buying the bank tower, he snapped up the Greater Richmond Chamber's three-story building at Second and Franklin streets. He bought that one after driving past it.

Tommy, re: Jemal. Do you remember The Wiz stores from your youth in New York? I bought a TV from their 5th Avenue location years ago and am happy to say it's still working.

But it seems to me there was something fishy about the company's bankruptcy, though Mr. Jemal was no longer affiliated with the firm - he had sold it. Seems to me they had a loud-mouth sort of Crazy Eddy doing their TV commercials.

Tommy, re: Jemal. Do you remember The Wiz stores from your youth in New York? I bought a TV from their 5th Avenue location years ago and am happy to say it's still working.

But it seems to me there was something fishy about the company's bankruptcy, though Mr. Jemal was no longer affiliated with the firm - he had sold it. Seems to me they had a loud-mouth sort of Crazy Eddy doing their TV commercials.

The Wiz! We used to go there whenever we needed appliances, not as bad as some people would have thought they were. Glad to hear theyre still in business throughout NY and NJ.

As far as I know, Tommy. The Wiz company is completely out of business. The new owners went bankrupt soon after buying out Jemal.

For some reason, I was expecting someone younger...

Cam, he has a son also in the business. Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Well once Jemal is done with his court hearings I think we will be very pleased with Jemal or lets put it this i'm counting on jemal. Based on what I've seen of his developments in DC looks very nice not only that but on Page A-10 in the RTD it shows a map of all the propertys that he has bought over the years the first property he bought I think was in 1997.

Well once Jemal is done with his court hearings I think we will be very pleased with Jemal or lets put it this i'm counting on jemal. Based on what I've seen of his developments in DC looks very nice not only that but on Page A-10 in the RTD it shows a map of all the propertys that he has bought over the years the first property he bought I think was in 1997.

Yeah, I think it's safe to assume that once this court stuff is behind him, Jemal will be stepping up with his Richmond holdings.

First off, welcome!

I dunno if the combined company will have revenue high enough to be listed on the Fortune 500 list but would be another Fortune 1000 company, after the combined HQ is established in Richmond. I think HamiltonBeach/Proctor Silex already has a HQ in Richmond, in the suburbs, so I don't know of the prospect for a downtown HQ, but you never know. NAACO was ranked 589th on the Fortune 2006 list.

Actually... the combined company is expected to have revenues of about $1.1 billion, which would cause it to not make the cut for the 1000 list either. It's still big/good news nonetheless!

from CNN Money

Hamilton Beach to merge with rival Applica Inc.--becoming largest U.S. small home appliance maker

Cleveland, Ohio-based Nacco will execute the deal by spinning off its Richmond, Va.-based Hamilton Beach/Proctor-Silex business and taking it public by merging it with Applica.

As of Friday's market close, Miramar, Fla.-based Applica carried a market value of $84 million. Barring a premium to Applica's shareholders in the deal, that implies a combined deal value of about $340 million or more, given that Applica shareholders will own a quarter of the combined company.

The combined company, to be named Hamilton Beach Inc. and with headquarters in Richmond, will be listed on the New York Stock Exchange. Hamilton Beach is estimated to have annual sales of about $1.1 billion, through sales of brands such as Black & Decker, Windmere and TruAir, the companies said.

Wow! Pretty surprising that $1 billion in revenues doesn't even get you into the Fortune 1000. Should have done my homework before my last post.

If you're curious, here's a list of all the Fortune 1000 companies in Virginia.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/for...0/states/V.html

Oh yeah, this is big news nevertheless! Thanks to bringing it to our attention. I wonder if this means that more employees will be moved here or whether the company will be hiring more people here? I also wonder if they would be in contention for a new home downtown, even if they do have a building already in the burbs. I hope the press catches on to this announcement soon - I want to learn more! Welcome, BTW, jbjust! :thumbsup:

Looks like Hamilton Beach/Proctor-Silex currently has offices off Cox Road in Innsbrook. I wonder if their building has any vacant space? If not, I suppose they will be looking for a new space. Hey, if nothing else, maybe they'll move into WBV and bump M/WV downtown!

From today's TD.

"Small-appliance firms merge: Va.-based Hamilton Beach joins with rival Applica to create largest such company"

Interesting statistics: "Hamilton Beach/Proctor-Silex employs 227 people at an office on Waterfront Drive in Innsbrook," while Applica employs 540 people, according to the article. I wonder what percentage of the 540 are office jobs that will move to Richmond? Even if one fifth of Applica's employees end up moving to Richmond, that would be close to a 50% increase! I'd be surprised if the Innsbrook location can accommodate that many new workers.

Then again, this TD article on vacancy rates suggests there is plenty of free space in Innsbrook.

"Richmond vacancy rates fall"

Edited by gntrphoo

I'm confident that they'll stay in Innsbrook.

Still great news!

Major Merger may Create New Jobs in Richmond

some nice quotes:

The merger of two companies who manufacture small kitchen appliances will result in the creation of new jobs in the Richmond area. That merger makes Hamilton Beach the largest US public company manufacturing household appliances....

The 227 people who already work at its Innsbrook offices will likely increase