Charlotte Pride

voyager12

Does anyone think we will ever have a gay bar in the center of Uptown? Or a real bookstore/coffee shop like ATL's Outwrite? Would really help with visibility wtih a big flag.. I admit to liking my rainbows to distraction. And it sticks in my craw like that Bar 316 did not rehang the rainbow flag that Liasons had. No bars in this town have them.

^ I don't know.

I think that it's a matter of city culture as defined by city leaders and marketers. There is no outreach for lgbt residents or tourists as far as city center currently. A debate can be had about outreach to residents, but it boggles my mind that the city marketers think they have the financial luxury to turn away a segment. of tourists.

Without a critical mass of gay population living inside the 277 loop center city and with no efforts by the city to attract gay tourists, I just don't see a reason for a business owner to take a chance on a gay bar in uptown.

A bar was the first thing that popped into my mind since Uptown is the "entertainment" district but a bookstore/coffee shop would be my pref. I guess Atlanta is not a fair comparison. ATL proper has one of the highest GLBT concentrations in the country. And it's not being exclusionary in my mind. I would not venture into the Epicentre bars or Dixies Tavern for example, unless you want a trip to the hospital. If you are with someone or it's a group event like Takeover Friday that is different.

I cant even imagine a gay bar uptown. Genesis was a Club that operated briefly uptown after Stonewall closed. I think I went there 2 times. I will try to be nice when I say this so as not to offend anyone. That whole Epicenter deal kinda makes me laugh. The only thing I liked about it was the Condo tower. So much for that. Aloft is cool too. Everything draws IMO a crowd that just makes me cringe. Driving through Uptown on a sat (which I havent done in ages) is like a hooker fest. I cant believe what the women wear. it just reminds me of a big frat party or something. Alot of younger people from UNCC and then kids that drive in from Gastonia, Kannapolis and Rock Hill to name a few (trying to be nice here). It just doesnt make alot of sense to me.

I would much rather see Central Ave see more gay establishments. Having said all of this I have to say the gay community seems very fragmented right now. People( myself included) tend to go to one place and not bar hop. Considering you would have to be constantly driving I can understand why that is. Thats why Central Ave would be an ideal area for club/bar clusters. It can draw from Noda and PM and other intown neighborhoods.

Having watched the community for about 15 yrs now I dont know if its better or worse. Its here but not overly exciting. Sorry to be Debbie Downer on this one....

^I think a bunch of your comments are very spot on - particularly about how people can't really (gay) bar hop in Charlotte without driving and Plaza Midwood being the closest to being a gayborhood..

I don't mind epicentre as much. It is what it is and it serves a purposes including making Charlotte (along with NCMF) into a regional nightlife draw.

A bar was the first thing that popped into my mind since Uptown is the "entertainment" district but a bookstore/coffee shop would be my pref. I guess Atlanta is not a fair comparison. ATL proper has one of the highest GLBT concentrations in the country. And it's not being exclusionary in my mind. I would not venture into the Epicentre bars or Dixies Tavern for example, unless you want a trip to the hospital. If you are with someone or it's a group event like Takeover Friday that is different.

I wouldn't say going to epicentre would land a gay man in the hospital at all. The gay bar scene is so lackluster in this city that on most weekends you will find tons of gays uptown who are just fed up with the crappy choices we have for gay nightlife. You just have to be careful about who you approach.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess it all depends on what kind of "scene" you are into, I like Charlotte but would be open to future job opportunities in Chapel Hill or Asheville because the gay scene there is more activist and rainbow flag waving than here.

We may have the largest pride attendancewise but Columbia's annual Pride set for next week is much more integrated into city life. It's held in Finley Park with a parade before the festival. They have not had the same harassment issues that we experienced in Marshall Park which resulted in moving onto private property. It's also hard for me to fathom a parade through Uptown but I bet we will get there eventually. Their Pride Guide is extensive and includes welcome letters from the Mayor on behalf of City Council ( I think Foxx will step up and issue one for us this year which will be progress). Columbia City Council fully supported a comprehensive equal rights ordinance several years ago. I don't expect any other members of Charlotte's City Council to issue letters, but I could be surprised. In addition, Richland County Government printed a welcome letter. There also seems to larger participation from restaurants and hotels marketing themselves.

Columbia's strength on this issue certainly casts a shadow on Charlotte's " world class city of the carolinas" conceit.

I guess it all depends on what kind of "scene" you are into,

Yeah. I could careless for rainbow flag type of gay scenes. Not to say I don't like the rainbow flag. I have a rainbow flag ring, a rainbow heart bumper sticker and such. But, I'm just not into that "scene". I like being with my friends most of which are straight. And I don't really like things that seem "exclusive" . I'm not sure what Pride Charlotte entails, but I don't think I would be interested. Now, if it was Charlotte Pride as in pride in the city, I'd be there no doubt :fun:

I don't segregate my life based on sexuality either, I have straight friends as well. What I have always been into is politics, unfortunately our orientation is still a political issue. Which is tied into identity and I tend to favor cities that have a more visible gay vibe. Charlotte's vibe is conformist , blend in, and in general the gays here follow the same line.

Our Pride Festival draws open minded straights as well as us.

Hmm, Tutto Mundo fit that bill but they closed down recently. That's not to say that other places are not mixed. I just think there are fewer that have the vibe that makes one feel really comfortable being just as normally affectionate wtih a partner as hetero couples are in bars.

I cant even imagine a gay bar uptown. Genesis was a Club that operated briefly uptown after Stonewall closed. I think I went there 2 times. I will try to be nice when I say this so as not to offend anyone. That whole Epicenter deal kinda makes me laugh. The only thing I liked about it was the Condo tower. So much for that. Aloft is cool too. Everything draws IMO a crowd that just makes me cringe. Driving through Uptown on a sat (which I havent done in ages) is like a hooker fest. I cant believe what the women wear. it just reminds me of a big frat party or something. Alot of younger people from UNCC and then kids that drive in from Gastonia, Kannapolis and Rock Hill to name a few (trying to be nice here). It just doesnt make alot of sense to me.

I would much rather see Central Ave see more gay establishments. Having said all of this I have to say the gay community seems very fragmented right now. People( myself included) tend to go to one place and not bar hop. Considering you would have to be constantly driving I can understand why that is. Thats why Central Ave would be an ideal area for club/bar clusters. It can draw from Noda and PM and other intown neighborhoods.

Having watched the community for about 15 yrs now I dont know if its better or worse. Its here but not overly exciting. Sorry to be Debbie Downer on this one....

Agree with this, and this is in my opinion what kills gay nightlife in Charlotte. All of my friends go only to Bar at 316, and while I like and appreciate the place, it gets boring after a while going to the same place and seeing the same crowd every weekend, so as a result I have not really been going out as much lately. What Charlotte needs is a large, go-to club that can draw in people from all of the segments of the gay community. Maybe have multiple dance floors, one playing trance, the other playing hip-hop, and then have another room with the drag show, and then maybe a lounge for people who prefer more low-key environments. Little Rock has a club like this and can support it, and as a result has a much more unified gay community. I don't see why Charlotte could not.

Speaking of Crobar...is it a gay or gay friendly establishment?

What Charlotte needs is a large, go-to club that can draw in people from all of the segments of the gay community. Maybe have multiple dance floors, one playing trance, the other playing hip-hop, and then have another room with the drag show, and then maybe a lounge for people who prefer more low-key environments.

ACK! ACK! ACK! Please let it never be!!!!! I don't mean to protest so strongly but NOOOOOOOO!

Ok that all said,I think that kind of mindset is a problem with Charlotte in general. I would much rather see a gay trance club and a gay hip hop club and a drag club, all as separate businesses. Sure there could be some overlap and cross programming, but the huge walmart center of gay life is anathema to me.

I would much rather see this as a city of multiple smaller lgbt venues that offers a variety of scenes then an all-under-one-roof scenario.

Just my personal take.

ACK! ACK! ACK! Please let it never be!!!!! I don't mean to protest so strongly but NOOOOOOOO!

Ok that all said,I think that kind of mindset is a problem with Charlotte in general. I would much rather see a gay trance club and a gay hip hop club and a drag club, all as separate businesses. Sure there could be some overlap and cross programming, but the huge walmart center of gay life is anathema to me.

I would much rather see this as a city of multiple smaller lgbt venues that offers a variety of scenes then an all-under-one-roof scenario.

Just my personal take.

If they are separate they should be within walking distance of each other. A huge contributing factor to the segregated gay community in Charlotte is the huge distance between venues, and after you have had a few drinks it's not wise to drive especially completely across town i.e. from Scorpios to Plaza Midwood. As a result people usually just go to one place and don't hop. Whether a large club opens or the current selection of several small venues remain, it would benefit the bars and the city to have them closer to each other.

Edited by bchris02

I think a cluster would work well too, and a place like Blakes in ATL that was a combo bar/laid back restaurant would be cool. But we don't have the critical mass for it.

Interesting that the business association for the downtown Columbia decided to support Pride down there by hanging rainbow banners along the main road. The City of Columbia and Richland County Government both donated money as they do for other civic events that bring in business to the city.

I can't imagine Center City Partners or city/county gvt here doing anything close to this. It took years of prodding for CCP to even acknowledge our existence in minimal listings and now that we are at NCMF they will most likely conveniently ignore us again.

Edited by Forrest