Charlotte Pride

voyager12

• 2 weeks later...

Your best bet is contacting the Charlotte chapter of the Coalition to Protect all NC Families

A few events that I know are coming up:

Sunday, April 01, 2012

IMO this will be a huge embarrassment if passed. Voting on discrimination is just plain wrong. Given the current economic times the state should be doing all it can to be inclusive as major companies could bypass NC if this were to pass. Hopefully we will surprise the nation on May 8.

Unfortunately it will probably pass. But I agree with Thom Tillis, it wont be much longer until it is completely overturned as gen-x and millennium generations start to take over. And one day people will look back on this time period much the same way we now draw our focus on the pre-civil rights era with a "THINGS WERE REALLY THAT WAY!?....PEOPLE DID THAT!??!!".

Of course, the true irony of all this is that these are the same people who want government out of their lives when it comes to healthcare and taxes; yet have no problem with the government dictating whether two people in love can get married or a woman the right to choose what to do with her own body. But that's a whole different box of crayons.

Anyone thinking they shouldn't vote because either it's an uphill battle today or ultimately overturned in the future should still think of the immediate impacts. As the nation watches, NC voters will have the opportunity May 8 to either re-affirm Southern stereotypes or show that we truly are the New South. And it's not just perception or bragging rights that comes with that "New South" reputation. The economic growth and migration continuing within NC will seriously be hampered by a vote on the wrong side of history.

Unfortunately it will probably pass. But I agree with Thom Tillis, it wont be much longer until it is completely overturned as gen-x and millennium generations start to take over. And one day people will look back on this time period much the same way we now draw our focus on the pre-civil rights era with a "THINGS WERE REALLY THAT WAY!?....PEOPLE DID THAT!??!!".

Of course, the true irony of all this is that these are the same people who want government out of their lives when it comes to healthcare and taxes; yet have no problem with the government dictating whether two people in love can get married or a woman the right to choose what to do with her own body. But that's a whole different box of crayons.

I can't really say anymore than what you already have said other than yep!

Of course, the true irony of all this is that these are the same people who want government out of their lives when it comes to healthcare and taxes; yet have no problem with the government dictating whether two people in love can get married...

And how ironic that conservatives are currently arguing against the individual healthcare mandate, which would be enforced post-2014 via a tax penalty, when they don't complain at all about the various tax penalties already in place for same-sex couples, thanks to the Defense of Marriage Act.

If I win the mega-millions, I would seek a court injunction to withhold the vote on Amendment One until the ballot language actually informs voters of what they're deciding.

Just saying "define marriage" won't be understood by many voters as outlawing even domestic partnerships and other protections outside of a marriage license for even opposite-sex couples.

Edited by southslider

• 4 weeks later...

Partial self promotion and partial salute to the organizers, but Visit Gay Charlotte is now listed on the Charlotte in 2012 website under things to do in Charlotte!

I think this is a great step by the organizers who recognize the importance of the LGBT community (a clear segment of the DNC) and also the need to promote the city's full diversity.

You can find the listing on the Charlotte in 2012 homepage (scroll down for the Charlotte section) and/or read my article.

It would be considerate of those of you that label all conservatives as being in support of the amendment to stop generalizing. I am a conservative and support same sex marriage and will vote against the bill. Most of my friends (middle aged) are conservative as well and do 'not' support it. I don't really believe that this is a liberal/conservative issue. It isn't only conservatives that go to church and follow the teachings of their pastors. I support you all, but please stop stereotyping us. Many conservatives are not right wing on 'all' issues. Besides, I know local gays that are just as conservative as I.

Edited by caterpillar2

It would be considerate of those of you that label all conservatives as being in support of the amendment to stop generalizing. I am a conservative and support same sex marriage and will vote against the bill. Most of my friends (middle aged) are conservative as well and do 'not' support it. I don't really believe that this is a liberal/conservative issue. It isn't only conservatives that go to church and follow the teachings of their pastors. I support you all, but please stop stereotyping us. Many conservatives are not right wing on 'all' issues. Besides, I know local gays that are just as conservative as I.

I agree, although you have to admit there is a lot more conservative support and liberal opposition on this particular issue. But yeah, I have gay friends that are very conservative, as well as conservative friends that may squirm a little when confronted with issues of sexuality, but are no hypocrites and stick to their guns on issues of personal freedoms and small government.

I agree that not all conservatives are against equal rights for LGBTs but you also have to accept that this amendment and the forcing of the issue which will write discrimination into the state constitution was brought forward by and is being championed by conservatives.

That has repercussions in the perception of conservatives by those who are against this amendment.

I do appreciate your point (my sister is a fairly staunch conservative but is against this amendment) but I also want to point out that your worry seems a little trivial to me when I as a gay man face people using stereotypes against me in my everyday life (and let's not forget a sitting county commissioner who enjoys using his office as a soapbox to attack LGBTS) and now a state amendment that will in effect make me a second class citizen in regards to the NC State constitution.

Again - I get your point and it is acknowledged, but I hope you get mine.

Edited by Urbanity

Well put urbanity. I don't live in NC but did for 20 years. I hope this fails and fails big. I have heard of people sponsoring in way, a dinner and invite a gay couple and a straight couple who may not know any gay people and talk. I wasn't sure if this was in NC, but I liked the idea. The more they learn the better. Good luck from those of us who don't live there.

Sadly, not one Republican voted to support last night's resolution at the County Commission. Citizen comments even stressed why fiscal conservatives should be AGAINST the amendment.

I hope Bill James loses to his County seat primary challenger and/or Edwin Peacock wins his Congressional primary. That may be a wake-up call for Republicans to fully embrace ALL economic freedoms. Otherwise, elephants risk demographic extinction.

Let's face it-- NC won't make huge national headlines, if the Amendment passes Tuesday. However, our great state will certainly make news, if the Amendment fails. So let's strive to exceed expectations.

NC was one of the few colonies insisting on a Bill of Rights before forming the US. This farce of a state constitutional amendment clearly violates the 1st and 14th Amendments of the US Constitution. Per the 1st Amendment, no law may establish (or favor) one religion (Fundamentalists, Orthodox, et al) over other religions (Mainline, Reform, et al). And per the 14th Amendment, no state may restrict fundamental rights (including marriage) without a rational basis to protect general welfare.

The US Court of Appeals has already ruled that California's Prop 8 failed in having any public purpose. Expert witnesses for the defense (Prop 8 supporters) even admitted that same-sex couples had statistically better results with children. That's because intentional pregnancy and/or adoption is obviously a more thoughtful and prudent commitment by those couples choosing to become parents. In other words, biology is not a rational basis to restrict marriage. Indeed, "accidental procreation" statistically produces less-than-stellar environments for children than purposeful creation and/or adoption by loving homes, whether led by opposite-sex or same-sex couples.

If nothing else, the argument for going beyond state law with an Amendment in order to protect against judicial activism is increadibly false. For if this Amendment passes, you can guarantee there will be court challenges. And with NC's overreach against even civil unions, NC may have given the nation the most reprehensible language yet, such that it should only then be even easier to strike down.

My ballot has been cast at the very busy Pct 20 polling location. It sucks that surveys over the weekend still show A1 passing with no problems, but I hope that the results are at least closer than is expected. I do think with time we'll see these things overturned with an enthusiastic "how did this crap get into our constitution?" In the meantime we'll just have to deal with bigots like Billy Graham leading his sheep down a path of "Hate thy neighbor."

Well, looks like Amendment One passed by a 20 point margin. With 192 of 195 precincts reporting, Mecklenburg County voted against the amendment 54% to 46%.

You can check out state and county results (including maps) for the primary at this site. http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/NC/36596/80719/en/summary.html

Edited by abttown

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone on here. We all knew how it would shake out. I was happy to see Mecklenburg come out on the side of the good guys though. But that map reads like a Presidential race. The amendment didn't pass in counties with large urban centers or college towns.

• Like 1

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone on here. We all knew how it would shake out. I was happy to see Mecklenburg come out on the side of the good guys though. But that map reads like a Presidential race. The amendment didn't pass in counties with large urban centers or college towns.

Yeah, however I was surprised and disappointed to see that Mecklenburg had a pretty low voter turnout compared to the Triangle and Triad counties.