Charlotte Pride

voyager12

I understand your point but it also depends on what you consider hip-hop. If you are talking about this:

Then thats all fine and good, but most of the time the music in Scorpios sounds a little more like this:

Which DOES bring in an undesirable crowd and is what most clubs (except primarily black clubs) are trying to get away from. On most nights at Scorpios, the crowd is hardly mixed or united. You might as well go to a club like 935 where Velocity used to be. Another example of this is local radio stations 96.1 The Beat vs. Power 98. Both play hip-hop but appeal to a completely different audience.

I would imagine that most clubs' playlist is dictated largely by the Billboard charts and MTV/BET charts at the moment, as well as customer feedback. I attend a lot of Latin clubs, and they tend to fuse Latin with hip hop songs that are hot at the moment, receiving the most airplay and pop culture attention. If it's not popular, they aren't going to play it, at least not more than once or twice. Clubs just don't play unpopular music if they want to survive.

I would imagine that most clubs' playlist is dictated largely by the Billboard charts and MTV/BET charts at the moment, as well as customer feedback. I attend a lot of Latin clubs, and they tend to fuse Latin with hip hop songs that are hot at the moment, receiving the most airplay and pop culture attention. If it's not popular, they aren't going to play it, at least not more than once or twice. Clubs just don't play unpopular music if they want to survive.

Everybody I know complains about the music at Scorpios. They don't play "pop" rap, but ghetto/gangsta rap. There is a clear difference. The music they play depends on the crowd they want to attract. Scorpios today has basically become the new Club Myxx. The exception is Sunday nights when they have the drag show and actually do play decent music (a mix of dance and pop rap) and they actually draw a decent crowd due to being the only option that night, but unfortunately anybody who holds a 9-5 can't get in the habit of clubbing on Sunday nights if they want to stay employed.

Edited by bchris02

Scorpios used to never really be open on Saturdays. when the Myxx closed then Scorpios took the opportunity to make business off of that. Besides, I remember when Scorpios used to play techno in the dance room and then play rap in the smaller bar area. the smaller bar would be crowded like crazy while the main dance floor over time would have less and less people. So then Scorpios moved the rap music into the main dance floor and the techno into the smaller bar. the smaller bar then was almost empty while the main dance floor drew a bigger crowd. If you do not enjoy "gangsta" rap and do not enjoy the current scene at Scorpios, then I would suggest finding another club that is more suitable to your tastes. There is enough room for everyone in this city. Even though I am white, I will shake my booty to "ghetto rap" rather than to "gay dance" music. That is just my preference though.

Scorpios used to never really be open on Saturdays. when the Myxx closed then Scorpios took the opportunity to make business off of that. Besides, I remember when Scorpios used to play techno in the dance room and then play rap in the smaller bar area. the smaller bar would be crowded like crazy while the main dance floor over time would have less and less people. So then Scorpios moved the rap music into the main dance floor and the techno into the smaller bar. the smaller bar then was almost empty while the main dance floor drew a bigger crowd. If you do not enjoy "gangsta" rap and do not enjoy the current scene at Scorpios, then I would suggest finding another club that is more suitable to your tastes. There is enough room for everyone in this city. Even though I am white, I will shake my booty to "ghetto rap" rather than to "gay dance" music. That is just my preference though.

I sometimes wonder if the location, low/free cover, and free beer has more to do with the crowd they draw than the music they play. It seems like they are trying anything just to get people in the doors these days. I know a guy who works at Scorpios and recently they cut all the employees pay in half and closed the club on Tuesday and Thursday nights. Everybody talks about how great the club used to be but how its gone into the crapper. You are right about there being hardly anybody dancing in the smaller bar area playing techno. Its interesting though because they play the same type of music in there that you get at the Closet and it seems to draw decent crowds. Maybe the place is just stigmatized.

I think it is funny how a lot of people think that hip hop = undesirable people. That is very stereotypical thinking.

House music = desirable people

as far as hip hop.....it does tend to attract that "gangster" crowd....not saying Scorpio is all of that crowd, but i would say dominantly 75% of that. I'm glad that Charlotte is catching up to the times with Europe, New York, Chicago, Dallas, DC, Miami, Atlanta, and LA and other places that embrace House/Electronic/Dance music, and is starting to understand and appreciate it. Besides the fact that it all sounds the same, and is almost impossible to dance to, Why would you want to listen to hip hop at the club when you hear it on the radio every single minute of the day?

Everybody talks about how great the club used to be but how its gone into the crapper.

Scorpio has never been a great club. It's nick-name even long ago when I was going out was "Scorpi-hole". Face it, it's a run-down shack in a hole along a creek on Freedom Drive. Everytime it rains, the entire parking lot is under water. And repeatedly over the years, many patrons have been victims of crime around the property.

What I have always liked about Scorpio is how unpolished and raw it is. The industrial surroundings, busted parking lot and subterranean winding interior are all pluses in my book. And actually one of the nicest down to earth guys I have ever met was at Scorpio. Of course he was only in town on business and I refuse to do long distance relationships anymoredry.gif

Scorpio has never been a great club. It's nick-name even long ago when I was going out was "Scorpi-hole". Face it, it's a run-down shack in a hole along a creek on Freedom Drive. Everytime it rains, the entire parking lot is under water. And repeatedly over the years, many patrons have been victims of crime around the property.

Interesting aside: I was at the original Scorpio on South Blvd---one week after it opened! June 1972, and let me tell ya it was a blast! Packed every weekend, and the (pre disco) music of the time came from a blaring jukebox, with the Stones, the Who, etc inspiring everyone on the dance floor.:)

Marion and Oakey were the hetero owners. Such dear folks, they let us underage teens in, even though they knew we weren't spending a dime-lol And Marion was adorable. She looked rather like Miss Kitty (Amanda Blake) on Gunsmoke.:)

That original locale was really something special, a two story building with a second floor that overlooked the first floor. Both stories had dance floors (and music from the same juke box) And at the time Oleens was only a few blocks away. People walked back and forth on South Blvd. from bar to bar.

Then sometime in 1973 they moved the bar to a further out location on South Blvd. I never did care for that incarnation of the bar. Then they moved to Freedom Dr. I went once to that location in the late 80s, and the music was so loud I got a horrible headache.

So I would say that from 1972-73, in it's original location, the Scorpio was one of the coolest clubs anywhere!

What I have always liked about Scorpio is how unpolished and raw it is. The industrial surroundings, busted parking lot and subterranean winding interior are all pluses in my book. And actually one of the nicest down to earth guys I have ever met was at Scorpio. Of course he was only in town on business and I refuse to do long distance relationships anymoredry.gif

I wish Scorpios would have their drag/dance nights on Friday or Saturday instead of Sunday and Wednesday so those of us who work 9-5 could enjoy it. It really is a cool club on those nights...I've had a blast whenever I've had the chance to go. Anytime else its the new incarnation of Club Myxx and I can't stand it.

As for the new club Closet, what do people think of it?

I wish Scorpios would have their drag/dance nights on Friday or Saturday instead of Sunday and Wednesday so those of us who work 9-5 could enjoy it. It really is a cool club on those nights...I've had a blast whenever I've had the chance to go. Anytime else its the new incarnation of Club Myxx and I can't stand it.

As for the new club Closet, what do people think of it?

For me, the only nights I would go, are those they don't have drag. People have different tastes and sensibilities, and traditional gay and bisexual identity and culture has evolved rapidly. It must be challenging for clubs to adopt to new cultural changes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Charlottes gay dance scene is simple. That whole gangsta-rap thing at scorpios only works because the people that go there live in west Charlotte and have probably never been out of NC or SC. -When you travel the world and experience other cultures and music , you realize that most major dance clubs are innovative and trendsetters. Major clubs in NYC and especially Paris would never play the crap you hear in Charlotte. I havent been to Closet , so correct me if Closet is bringing something new and fresh to the city. Please dont try and defend that mess you hear at Scorpios. Its a joke.

Charlottes gay dance scene is simple. That whole gangsta-rap thing at scorpios only works because the people that go there live in west Charlotte and have probably never been out of NC or SC. -When you travel the world and experience other cultures and music , you realize that most major dance clubs are innovative and trendsetters. Major clubs in NYC and especially Paris would never play the crap you hear in Charlotte. I havent been to Closet , so correct me if Closet is bringing something new and fresh to the city. Please dont try and defend that mess you hear at Scorpios. Its a joke.

It is fine if you do not like a certain genre of music. Everyone has different tastes in music. Please though, do not talk down upon something that you do not like. Stating that you do not like rap is enough. Stating that "the mess you hear at Scorpios" is a bit of a put down, and is also slightly offensive.

• Thanks 1

Closet is a big improvement upon Scorpios and has an awesome dance floor but it has a few problems that may prevent it from being successful and may ultimately be its demise. Its still a hit or miss with the crowd - it can be amazing if its packed, but many times its dead. Its a new club so you can't really tell yet, but if they keep having the kind of attendance they have been getting into the summer it might not make it. I really like the Closet and want it to succeed. They are having Amber there Feb 19th, so I hope that increases awareness of it so it starts drawing some crowds. Saturday Night is the best night to go. That said, it seems like most of the gay scene here prefers the more low-key places. Places like Petra's and Bar at 316 get so packed they have to turn people away and the dance clubs have trouble bringing people in. Any idea why this is? Does the gay culture here have no interest in dance clubs or has just nobody come up with something that works in this market? Its sad that in a city this size people have to drive to smaller places like Asheville and Hickory to go to a gay dance club.

Edited by bchris02

The places I tend to seek out are more mellow and lowkey. Just personally enjoy chatting with someone as opposed to screaming over the music. Many cities are the reverse and I am glad that Charlotte has a few less hyper spots like Petras and Bar 316. Not into dance clubs but I would agree that it does not measure up to even smaller cities in the Carolinas in terms of options.

Edited by Forrest

It is fine if you do not like a certain genre of music. Everyone has different tastes in music. Please though, do not talk down upon something that you do not like. Stating that you do not like rap is enough. Stating that "the mess you hear at Scorpios" is a bit of a put down, and is also slightly offensive.

You are right...My apologies.

The places I tend to seek out are more mellow and lowkey. Just personally enjoy chatting with someone as opposed to screaming over the music. Many cities are the reverse and I am glad that Charlotte has a few less hyper spots like Petras and Bar 316. Not into dance clubs but I would agree that it does not measure up to even smaller cities in the Carolinas in terms of options.

I was at the Closet last night and it was so packed you could hardly move on the dance floor. The music was good too. Saturday is definitely the night to go.

I was at the Closet last night and it was so packed you could hardly move on the dance floor. The music was good too. Saturday is definitely the night to go.

Why has Sat always been THE night in Charlotte. Fridays are usually slow as far as dance clubs go. Oh well. Nice to know Closet is doing well. I havent been yet. Guess Im getting old. Used to be so excited about new places. 32 isnt that old though. Unless your 22 then 32 is old. WIll check it out soon.

Why has Sat always been THE night in Charlotte. Fridays are usually slow as far as dance clubs go. Oh well. Nice to know Closet is doing well. I havent been yet. Guess Im getting old. Used to be so excited about new places. 32 isnt that old though. Unless your 22 then 32 is old. WIll check it out soon.

Not sure. The low-key places do well on Friday night, but the dance clubs struggle. Scorpios even offers free beer on Fridays and they still can't usually manage to bring out a crowd.

Well, V-Day is approaching and like usual gays are completely invisible in mainstream promotion. That aside, I was wondering how others feel about how gay friendly the climate is in Charlotte these days? Do you show signs of affection with your partner in public? Ever gotten negative responses?

And no I don't mean having foreplay on the sidewalk. More like holding hands,casual hugs, brief kisses and other actions that go completely unnoticed when practiced by heterosexuals.

I am currently single again ( maybe I should have faked liking the last one long enough to make it to Valentines laugh.gif ) in the past holding hands and hugging has garnered looks similar to facial expressions given exotic animals in a Zoo. Or people are so overly nice that it seems fake because they feel the need to overcompensate instead of regarding us as no different from the nearby straight couples...and acting accordingly.

There have been a few instances where the stares have gotten uncomfortable and we left the restaurant or business. Being out in this country and in the South in particular you can sense whether the vibe is friendly or not.

well, for some perspective, i was out to dinner with my girlfriend at Sonoma, and we were seated next to an affectionate gay couple. i did take notice at first and might have been accused of staring if caught at the right time. i'm no stranger to gay PDAs as my two best friends are gay and i am used to hanging around them and their spouses.

most people don't mean to gawk, i'm sure, its just still a rare enough sight that it tends to elicit a double-take as it did with me. i know its probably hard to differentiate between judgmental stares and curious glances. when the media is capable of nonchalantly showing a gay couple in a scenario or for a purpose that isn't directly tied to "gay issues" it will help immensely. for now the only solution is to not hold back, we'll get used to it sooner or later!

Well, V-Day is approaching and like usual gays are completely invisible in mainstream promotion. That aside, I was wondering how others feel about how gay friendly the climate is in Charlotte these days? Do you show signs of affection with your partner in public? Ever gotten negative responses?

Short answers:

It's meh. Not Really. Not in Particular.

Longer answers:

I say it's meh as the city is still way behind the curve on protections for gays as well representations by gay community leaders.

And in my own take I think it's cause Charlotte is still a town that treasures quiet working together behind the scenes over public advocacy. In other words, my partner and I often feel welcomed and have had positive responses wherever we go because I think it would be considered impolite for anyone to cause a scene about us. Does that make sense? I think that might be why you and your partner at the time got stares because it was considered impolite to be so publicly affectionate.

I may be off, but I think most people welcoming of gay people in Charlotte They just like everything (at least in Uptown) to be kind of formal... unless you're a twenty something at the Epicentre of course.

For the question about Public Affection: I'm not really very publicly affectionate in general, then again it might be argued by my partner that I'm not very affectionate in private either. My whole family which is mostly hetero and no one is the hand-holding type.

Finally as far as a negative response: Not yet really. Outside of Bill James who seems to have rejected my invite for Valentines. In all seriousness I think the Charlotte gay community is so in the closet in general (and that has many meanings) that it is not an issue for most people. I think as this city continues to grow and diverse (economy wise) we'll attract more and more gay people who by sheer numbers will the feeling in CLT.

I actually forsee a day when Charlotte becomes a pretty damn good vacation spot for gay people though not until we get the friggin' retail!

There is a constant tension between what I believe is the necessity of being visibly out and the desire to blend in. Charlotte is a very conformist town and so everyone mostly follows the script. We span every group so we have to be "out" to show our existence and get people "used" to the idea.

Perhaps if we had a defined gay neighborhood or at least institutions that could have served as a "home" and center of activism we would be further along. Our infrastructure in this town is very weak.

The results of a poll asking about whether gays or homosexuals can serve openly are interesting to say the least:

"In the poll, 59 percent say they now support allowing "homosexuals" to serve in the U.S. military, including 34 percent who say they strongly favor that. Ten percent say they somewhat oppose it and 19 percent say they strongly oppose it. But the numbers differ when the question is changed to whether Americans support "gay men and lesbians" serving in the military. When the question is asked that way, 70 percent of Americans say they support gay men and lesbians serving in the military, including 19 percent who say they somewhat favor it. Seven percent somewhat oppose it, and 12 percent strongly oppose it. "

Personally I have never been offended by "homosexual". The term which stems from early scientific research has been used by anti-gay groups to infer illness and disorder. The style guides for AP,The New York Times, and Washington Post advise against it's usage because of possible bigoted connotations.

Clearly, there is a mental hangup here.

Given the puritanical vestiges still present in American society, I think too many people can't get over our personal lives. So, "gay' just sounds more fun,celibate, and fits our media and society stereotype.

What do you think?

Im not a huge fan of polls...and as we all know gays are everywhere...some are even married....Im at a point in my very single life that I just dont pay much attention to what others are doing, gay or straight. I think if everyone focused on being good to others instead of judging it would be a much better world...like.. for instance.. no wars..etc...but who knows if humans will ever collectively figure that out. In the mean time, I say just be who you are and dont do anything stupid....that is my sunday morning 9am take on the situation...