Broadway and 1st Condos

civitas

It's market value of land...and it seems as many of the neighbors are happy with the development. Are you one?

It's hardly a McMansion subdivision, in fact it's not at all a McMansion subdivision. It's urban family living at it's best. I love the design!

More 'deserving'? Yes, people with money get to buy things...it sucks sometimes, but we all live with it. The westside is changing...it's more racially diverse and higher in property value than every before, and I for one, thinks it's a GREAT thing! It's the one area that can have it all in GR. It can have ethic diversity and commerce. It can have young professionals, retirees, and college students. It can have blue collar and doctorate workers. I guess you're one of the people that will always sit and look down upon west grand rapids as the 'westside' trying to spare any building from development...because we should let those people have their side by not trying to improve the area for all.

"McMansion" as in all the same. Every unit looks like the other. The whole thing is basically almost a gated community. I expect it to be called "Whispering Orchard" or "Western Valley Estates" :lol:

The west side has been racially diverse for years. And I AM glad that the area can have a mix of everyone of all backgrounds. Does this project represent that mix? Don

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"McMansion" as in all the same. Every unit looks like the other. The whole thing is basically almost a gated community. I expect it to be called "Whispering Orchard" or "Western Valley Estates" :lol:

The west side has been racially diverse for years. And I AM glad that the area can have a mix of everyone of all backgrounds. Does this project represent that mix? Don

Another point to consider - as far as I have heard, EVERY property owner willingly sold his / her property (INCLUDING THE CHURCH) to the developer. Perhaps some of the renters in this area might say a few words under their breath as they move a few blocks away, but on a whole, no property owner was forced to sell.

It still sucks that they didn't take the creative reuse approach. The church and nunnery will be sorely missed IMO. Other than that, I'm sure it will be a nice project.

Does anyone know if the start date is contingent on units sold? I would hate to see them clear-cut the land (and knock down the church) only to have issues ever getting off the ground.

Joe

Anyone have any money I can borrow? I'll buy the church and nunnery and convert them to condos (if the developers will let me). A nice small project to take on.... :D I'm with Joe and I hope this doesn't follow the same path as MidTowne Village and become a giant weed-choked lot for 2 years. Otherwise, I think it will be a tremendous shot in the arm for the West side.

McMansions?? :rolleyes:

Anyone have any money I can borrow? I'll buy the church and nunnery and convert them to condos (if the developers will let me). A nice small project to take on.... :D I'm with Joe and I hope this doesn't follow the same path as MidTowne Village and become a giant weed-choked lot for 2 years. Otherwise, I think it will be a tremendous shot in the arm for the West side.

McMansions?? :rolleyes:

The developers said something about 8 condos that wouldnt be townhome style. I think they are going to save the nunnery, but they never specified exactly where the 8 condos were coming from. Will someone close to the project please fill us in?

The developers also said that over half the block is vacant right now anyway. Very few people will be displaced.

Ok, ok, I get it. :lol:

It will be high quality, charmming development that everyone, other than those renters, are cheering to see happen. The development will bring in higher density and "quality" people with lots of $$$ which will, for some reason, bring retail to the DT area. Have no idea why, but i'll take your word for it.

Their not McMansion-like because their sameness is their charm, and some old buildings like the church have to go down so that better things can go in its place.... Like a condo.

Besides, it seems like a nice project. Their I said it!! :yahoo:

Ok, ok, I get it. :lol:

It will be high quality, charmming development that everyone, other than those renters, are cheering to see happen. The development will bring in higher density and "quality" people with lots of $$$ which will, for some reason, bring retail to the DT area. Have no idea why, but i'll take your word for it.

Their not McMansion-like because their sameness is their charm, and some old buildings like the church have to go down so that better things can go in its place.... Like a condo.

Besides, it seems like a nice project. Their I said it!! :yahoo:

:rofl:

sarcasm.gif

The developers said something about 8 condos that wouldnt be townhome style. I think they are going to save the nunnery, but they never specified exactly where the 8 condos were coming from. Will someone close to the project please fill us in?

Interesting Gary. Based on this image that civitas did, the apartment building (nunnery) would not interfere with the street grid they are going for, whereas the church throws a big monkey wrench into the works. I think it would be pretty cool if they kept the apartment building, and it appears to be large enough for eight condos. You're right, would be nice to hear from the developers.

222821082_f8b4baacbd_o.jpg

222000641_3bfa82b356_o.jpg

Its too bad that these are going to start at $220,000...this would have been a place I would have considered moving to otherwise. Pent up demand for the $150k - $180k range has to be enormous, as few projects / locations seem to be economically viable for this type of construction...

Pent up demand for the $150k - $180k range has to be enormous, as few projects / locations seem to be economically viable for this type of construction...

It depends on how you look at it. Places like Boardwalk have tons of places available in that area, but you have to remember your 180k doesn't go as far in the city as it does in Dorr.

It depends on how you look at it. Places like Boardwalk have tons of places available in that area, but you have to remember your 180k doesn't go as far in the city as it does in Dorr.

...because less of it goes into your gas tank.

[taking a break from a business trip...damn I hate drive drive driving!]

After the progress, history will be relived through memories, pictures, and text as you just showed. I've found that churches involve another element to a community that makes it much more unbearable to destruction. The church dosen't just contain the obvious spiritual elements, but a sanctuary to a nexus of human elements. The church lives alongside the progress of the community -- even falling to the same "progress," that makes the community. I'm sure if any development were to tread on the property it will go lightly, at least I would hope for it.

Thoes pictures will be good for documenting history. It's a shame, the church provides for a community "anchor" to the block. It completes this corner.

I can't believe the HPC would fight for the old Purple East building and not this?! Is it just a matter of not being in their jurisdiction?

The inside is just as fantastic as the outside. I am the first in line to be pounding my fist and rallying around new development but how could the developers not see the potential of these two buildings? This pisses me off so bad I can't even believe it. And there is nothing anyone can do about it at this point.

If I raise $200K can I also buy the city attorneys and have them fight this for me? I didn't know if the buy-off policy was limited to lusty entertainment or if I could pay them off to fight to save good architecture too. :blink:

I can't believe the HPC would fight for the old Purple East building and not this?! Is it just a matter of not being in their jurisdiction?

Joe, this question was talked about on post 107 by member CK1

"I believe a member of the planning commission said that due to the church not being downtown (i.e. is outside the highway ring) and not part of any marked historic district, it can be torn down without anyone being able to legally object, and that the planning commission has no intent on making an issue of demolishing the structure."

I don't know if truely answers your question or not.

The inside is just as fantastic as the outside. I am the first in line to be pounding my fist and rallying around new development but how could the developers not see the potential of these two buildings? This pisses me off so bad I can't even believe it. And there is nothing anyone can do about it at this point.

If I raise $200K can I also buy the city attorneys and have them fight this for me? I didn't know if the buy-off policy was limited to lusty entertainment or if I could pay them off to fight to save good architecture too. :blink:

Would the mission of the HPC transend the bounds of there jurisdiction? I say call them. Let them know that this church building stands a good chance of falling victum to the wrecking ball. If they can't help directly due to jurisdiction, they should be able to help in other ways like providing contacts to the right people to fight for this building, help raise funds, etc.

Archived