Broadway and 1st Condos

civitas

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with Nitro on this.

I am interested in saving the structures that comprised the church and nunnery. Not because of any religious attachment, but because they are interesting architecturally.

Just because I didn't know these structures existed doesn't mean they are any less interesting. There are many, many buildings of which I am unaware, and I'll only learn of them when a development such as this makes headlines.

Hope that helps your understanding.

The association that should be making noise is the West Grand Neighborhood Organization. Their office is located on Broadway and their telephone number is 451-0150. I think it is an absolute shame that they are not taking the lead in asking the architects to be creative and integrate the structures into the development.

I'm still not certain that I'm understanding the attachment to this church - it doesn't meet the city guidelines for a historic building, nobody bothered to show up for the planning commission public hearing to defend it, and only 1 of the 38 letters sent to the commission opposed bringing the structure down. The church staff and parisioners have sold the building and the nunnery, knowing full well that the building was to be demolished. Furthermore, it's not as if Grand Rapids is running any shortage of churches.

The result is that the planning commission, the concerned neighbors, the historical society, and the church themselves don't have a problem with the development as proposed. Folks on the internet, who have nothing vested in the structure, and very likely had never even seen or heard of the building before reading about it here, are all fired up to save this church. For what reason?

Call WGNO West Grand Neighborhood Organization. The project is within their area and the ideas i have read on the board support the case that with just a little creativity the structures could be integrated and be an asset to the development and the city in the long-term. WGNO is there for a reason and they need pressure to do the right thing. They have the city's ear. ... Who knows, maybe a strong pro-development faction has taken over the Organization and they are no longer acting inthe best interest of the city. The intelligent discussion i have seen on this board woulod be enough to maybe swing the project into a positive direction. As you know, developers are lazy, it would be perfectly easy for them to be creative. They just need the inspiration to do so. Call them! 451-0150

not to beat a dead horse on this whole church thing but i found a sweet quote which is perfect for this,

"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

-Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It's been a few months - any updates? Last I knew Zeiser had backed out of the project, not due to any problems with the project itself but rather due to having too much on his plate. I still think this is a very promising development, offering a style of living not currently available in the downtown area.

A couple of months ago I heard several developers were looking at taking it over from the original investors. Haven't heard anything since.

Happened by last night, no visible progress such as moving vans, wrecking balls, or fallen street signs.

It's been a few months - any updates? Last I knew Zeiser had backed out of the project, not due to any problems with the project itself but rather due to having too much on his plate. I still think this is a very promising development, offering a style of living not currently available in the downtown area.

As a bar/restauraneur Larry actually has quite a bit of prior experience in construction... so if he is out, down goes Frazier.

I think he got frustrated with the percentages the potential backers wanted, and this was a development that was a little bigger bite than he wanted to take by himself.

As a bar/restauraneur Larry actually has quite a bit of prior experience in construction... so if he is out, down goes Frazier.

I think he got frustrated with the percentages the potential backers wanted, and this was a development that was a little bigger bite than he wanted to take by himself.

Union Square is supposed to be completed in April. C'mon down the block!

• 3 months later...

I've got dibs on the church and the nunnery if they don't follow through. ;)

Joe

Well now's your chance Joe. The church is for sale for $345,000.

http://www.carwm.com/Property-Search.jsp

(enter mls# 373040)

I take it that means this project is officially dead (as planned)?

I also heard that another church near downtown/HH is going to go on the market soon (or maybe already has).

• 3 years later...

The church was apparently sold, but is now on fire.

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/Flames-shooting-from-roof-of-GR-church

... Flames are shooting through the church's roof and a ladder truck was trying to estinguish the blaze as of around 3:40 p.m.

The church was recently sold, and News 8 is working to learn who the buyer was.

Photos of the interior can still be seen on page 9 of this thread.

Archived