RBC Plaza

NovaRaleigh

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

It appears that they are currently working on the 7th level of this building,(started work in Oct 06?). While work is further along on the new Marriott hotel currently working on the 12th floor, (started in Jan 07?). And even though the RBC building has the slant due to being a parking deck, the hotel is two to three time wider/larger foot print and also had to build a slanted parking deck underneath? I believe that the difference is RBC has just one crane to work with and the hotel has three. IMHO! and my two cents!

It appears that they are currently working on the 7th level of this building,(started work in Oct 06?). While work is further along on the new Marriott hotel currently working on the 12th floor, (started in Jan 07?). And even though the RBC building has the slant due to being a parking deck, the hotel is two to three time wider/larger foot print and also had to build a slanted parking deck underneath? I believe that the difference is RBC has just one crane to work with and the hotel has three. IMHO! and my two cents!

The Marriott is under tremendous pressure to finish the same time as the CC. So three cranes work alot faster than one yes. Also your start dates should be careful to reflect the start date for above grade concrete pouring. Also an RBC column equals two Marriott columns at this stage...those bottom floors of RBC will have 30 floors above them to support!

The Marriott is under tremendous pressure to finish the same time as the CC. So three cranes work alot faster than one yes. Also your start dates should be careful to reflect the start date for above grade concrete pouring. Also an RBC column equals two Marriott columns at this stage...those bottom floors of RBC will have 30 floors above them to support!

Thank you! I knew that there had to be some logic to it all! :thumbsup:

remember it also took some time to build the underground parking deck as well. What we are seeing is the immediate hotel being built, while the RBC plaza has 8 floors of parking, usually longer to construct than regular floors, and then the office and condo floors.

Some tidbits from the TBJ interview with Highwoods on the RBC lease:

Who were you competing against?

There was another site downtown (Site One) that they were considering.

Was there a turning point when you knew the deal would happen?

The groundbreaking ceremony. Even after the RBC Centura office lease was fully executed, there were still several major development hurdles to overcome, primarily due to the overall complexity of the project. Again, the parties all worked closely together to ensure the project's success.

In the next 12 months, I expect:

The office space market in downtown Raleigh will continue to tighten up with the more firms wanting to relocate downtown. Also, the building will reach 33 stories (we are currently on the 6th floor), and we plan to lease office and retail space to other firms that want to be in downtown Raleigh's most exciting new project.

This confirms RBC was looking at Site 1, but Reynolds was never in the picture (probably since they sell their office space). I like what he said about the office market. Let's hope this new space coming online gets absorbed quickly.

Some tidbits from the TBJ interview with Highwoods on the RBC lease:

Who were you competing against?

There was another site downtown (Site One) that they were considering.

Was there a turning point when you knew the deal would happen?

The groundbreaking ceremony. Even after the RBC Centura office lease was fully executed, there were still several major development hurdles to overcome, primarily due to the overall complexity of the project. Again, the parties all worked closely together to ensure the project's success.

In the next 12 months, I expect:

The office space market in downtown Raleigh will continue to tighten up with the more firms wanting to relocate downtown. Also, the building will reach 33 stories (we are currently on the 6th floor), and we plan to lease office and retail space to other firms that want to be in downtown Raleigh's most exciting new project.

This confirms RBC was looking at Site 1, but Reynolds was never in the picture (probably since they sell their office space). I like what he said about the office market. Let's hope this new space coming online gets absorbed quickly.

Great to hear. I really hope the office space does get absorbed quickly. That will help create demand for all the condos they are building with people wanting to be close to work. More jobs downtown=more people wanting to live downtown= more retail attracted to downtown. This could be just exactly what downtown needs to really take off.

Great to hear. I really hope the office space does get absorbed quickly. That will help create demand for all the condos they are building with people wanting to be close to work. More jobs downtown=more people wanting to live downtown= more retail attracted to downtown. This could be just exactly what downtown needs to really take off.

Looks like they're finishing the parking deck portion, at least structurally. There's a taller than what they've been pouring support pillar now exposed.

The downtown market is getting very tight apparently. Stewart Engineering just moved into the 4th floor of Bank of America (Which has been vacant the 3 years I've been here) and remodel work is just completed here with phase II waiting in the wings, also BBnT building is remodeling their fayetteville street entrances as is the old Progress Energy Building. Downtown will look dramatically different in a year- 2 years time frame.

The downtown market is getting very tight apparently. Stewart Engineering just moved into the 4th floor of Bank of America (Which has been vacant the 3 years I've been here) and remodel work is just completed here with phase II waiting in the wings, also BBnT building is remodeling their fayetteville street entrances as is the old Progress Energy Building. Downtown will look dramatically different in a year- 2 years time frame.

I am off topic but Stewart sure left the space above Cafe Luna real quick (Montague Building).

I am off topic but Stewart sure left the space above Cafe Luna real quick (Montague Building).

No problem understanding that...I'd never get anything done if I worked above a place like that...can you imagine smelling lasagna all day long? [homer simpson]mmmmmmm, lasagna[/homer simpson]

I'm told they sublet the space. I know a bunch of folks that work there... the move had to happen quick due to old leases in Morrisville near Town Hall and moving the folks in Montegue over to BofA.

Back on topic, RBC is looking to expand in the SE... of course whatever is good news for RBC now becomes good news for DTR.

I heard once they complete the parking deck and reach the office and above levels, they will be able to complete a floor per week. If that's true, we should see the building (structure) topped out by about Thanksgiving.

If you look at Flash's rendering, there is a crown (pyramid) and then a tall antenenna that extends even higher. That extra height (from 538' up to 561') could be a result of the antenna, but I doubt that counts in the official height of the building. Some skyscraper enthusiast will have to answer that one...

rbcfayetteville.jpg

I think if it is a spire then it counts as part of the building when considering height figures. I think that is how Petronas beat Sears Tower, even though Sears is higher when counting habitable floors.

EDIT: I just read that Taipei 101 is the world's tallest based on highest occupied floor, highest arcitechtural top, and highest rooftop. Sears still is tallest based on antenna height.

I think if it is a spire then it counts as part of the building when considering height figures. I think that is how Petronas beat Sears Tower, even though Sears is higher when counting habitable floors.

EDIT: I just read that Taipei 101 is the world's tallest based on highest occupied floor, highest arcitechtural top, and highest rooftop. Sears still is tallest based on antenna height.

I have not been to Taipei since T-101 was completed but I was there when they were on floor 80-something. I have driven around the base of the building and the one thing you really notice is how big and thick the base is. It is on a large piece of property surounding by shopping, malls, office buildings and a really nice neighborhood.

Not to mention you can see it from the highways that cut through the middle of the city even though it is miles away. It is a beautiful building.

Archived