South Carolina College Sports

jfl25

Well, the Tigers have cracked the top-10! :)

Personally, I think they might be overrated somewhat, but that will ultimately be decided on Saturday when the Tigers take on the Demon Deacons at Littlejohn! I just hope that this week off will give the Tigers focus and preparedness for Wake Forest this weekend. Last time they had lots of time off, USC took a huge lead at the game's opening... Nonetheless, I have faith in Oliver to prepare them for this huge test.

This game will make 3 sell outs in a row (Bama, NC State, Wake). I imagine that Ga Tech will also fill the Coliseum, and Duke has been sold out for quite some time now. That could be 5, and really, I don't see why the following (also the final) 4 shouldn't draw 10,000 to Littlejohn. This is a good team and deserves the support.

Additionally, it has been over a year for Clemson without a single loss at home.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just noticed that Clemson is in the top 10 myself. I agree that it might a little overrated, but its not undeserved. They've been playing some good ball. I'm looking forward to the Wake Forest and UNC games. After Wake's win over UNC, they are going put up a good fight. The Observer had an article that pointed out the irony that people were talking about UNC going undefeated this season, and now its looking like Wake Forest could get the job done. Fortunately nothing is a guarantee in the ACC this year.

Its also worth mentioning that USC got 3 votes in the AP Poll. Its not really relevant to anything except to point out that USC has been playing very well given their depth problems and injuries. A lot of people are saying the SEC Championship is not out of the question considering that the SEC is waay down this year. It would still take a miracle though, due to the aforementioned problems. The next three games are going to be pretty important... LSU, UT, and Florida. They are all beatable, but whether or not the Gamecocks can do it remains to be seen. I'm very optimistic about it.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the reason Clemson remained at #9 in more than one poll is specifically due to tonight's game with UNC, which will be aired on... drum roll please... ESPN. Makes sense. Hopefully the game will prove to be another typically tough battle between the two teams.

In other news, this video has been all the rage in the Upstate yesterday and today:

Hah, that was hilarious. :)

It will be interesting to see how Clemson does against UNC. They're 0-53 at Chapel Hill, and the talking heads on SportsCenter had nothing positive to say about this matchup for Clemson.

USC unveils the Garnet Army... the student-chosen name for the Gamecock's student section... tonight against Florida. Coach Horn has helped develop yet another positive step towards rebuilding the USC basketball program. While not a top 10 matchup, it should be a good game as Florida is still talented, ranked #24 in the AP Poll. USC needs to win this one after the narrow loss to UT.

I'm psyched about the fantastic win! That last play was awesome, that one will definitely be on ESPN tomorrow. What a game! Go Gamecocks!

I watched the Clemson game until the second half. Its not over yet but they have just collapsed. Looks like its 0-54 for the Tigers at Chapel Hill. A good day for all teams "Carolina" ;)

Actually, I would say that PG Devan Downey is the man and Coach Horn is a lucky man at this point. Without Downey's very impressive ability to score against anyone, the Gamecocks would not be in the position they are today, even though Horn's strategy is an improvement over the recent seasons under Dave Odom. The team is finally gaining respect nationally, and that is good for the program. Of course, this has been a terrible season for the SEC so far, having only one team ranked in the top 25 (Kentucky was ranked #24), the team which South Carolina just beat. Let's hope they hold it together for the remainder of the SEC schedule. Here is an interesting article on the subject.

I am surprised the solid Clemson comeback victory in Blacksburg hasn't been mentioned yet. That was one of the most impressive victories for the Tigers since Oliver Purnell became the program's head coach. The win should bring the Tigers back into the nation's top ten, and now that the Demon Deacons shockingly lost to Georgia Tech, Clemson is tied for third place in the ACC. A win over the Duke Blue Devils could cause a momentary three-way tie for first place in the conference.

Darrin Horn's the man. Thank you, Kentucky, for your native son. Gamecocks win by one at Rupp Arena. That's four SEC wins in a row.

That's it? :P Clemson won 16 in a row earlier this season and is ranked 11th or 12th (depending on what poll you look at) in the country. Did anybody take notice to Georgia Tech beating Wake Forest? :shok: That's good news for Clemson in terms of ACC standings.

That's it? :P Clemson won 16 in a row earlier this season and is ranked 11th or 12th (depending on what poll you look at) in the country. Did anybody take notice to Georgia Tech beating Wake Forest? :shok: That's good news for Clemson in terms of ACC standings.
Show some respect, g-man (oops, there's that slip again). The Gamecocks don't care about the Tigers at this point - and IMO they shouldn't be. They have a conference title to win.

It is worth noting that Clemson had a record number of student-athletes on the Dean's list this past semester. 133 athletes made the list, including 49 who made the President's list.

Also, students have been camping out for Clemson-Duke tickets since Wednesday night. The game is this coming Wednesday, Fed 4.

Not sure this is the right thread, but this news story does deal with sports and it does deal with the University of South Carolina.

Record breaking gold medalist Olympian, Michael Phelps, was caught in photos in November, at the University of South Carolina, using a bong. The photos have been released to the press, and the photos are threatening to derail his product sponsorships / derail his career. Weird story.....

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/8767

The word is recruiting. When the Gamecocks beat Florida at the buzzer, a 6'5" shooting guard committted to USC. He's expected to make an immediate impact. I wonder who's waiting in the wings to commit this week? Darrin Horn knows the state of Kentucky and that whole region like he knows his own back yard. And Michael Boynton, one of his assistants and a former Gamecock, knows New York and New Jersey the same way. That's how he got the 6'5" recruit.

That sounds really great. :thumbsup: Now we will just have to wait a few years and see how it all pans out. I readily recall the recent exuberance immediately following both the Holtz and Spurrier hires. Neither lived up to the hype and the main difference has been that more people watch the perpetually mediocre Gamecocks collapse each year than in the past. Hopefully Mr. Horn will indeed be the source of much needed change at the university.

Show some respect, g-man (oops, there's that slip again). The Gamecocks don't care about the Tigers at this point - and IMO they shouldn't be. They have a conference title to win.

I know this is off-topic, but why do you keep calling me by this guy named g-man? :dontknow: I thought he was a different forum member on here. :huh:

There's definitely luck -its fortunate that the SEC is down this year- but Horn is a good coach too. USC has the same squad as last year basically, and they're consistently playing with the best teams in the league and winning. I'm ecstatic about the win over Kentucky. Coach Horn has definitely done a lot to turn the program around, and I'm confident that he can build some depth next year and continue the rebuilding process.

The rest of the SEC schedule will be tough, but every team so far has proven that they are beatable by USC. Its just a matter of making it happen.

There is speculation among the Gamecock message boards that USC could be ranked this week. That would be great to see... but every time an SEC team gets into the top 25 they lose a game and get knocked out.... so to that end I would be ok if USC remained unranked :)

The ACC is ridiculous this year. There are so many strong teams that sitting at the top isn't a guarantee you'll win.

That sounds really great. :thumbsup: Now we will just have to wait a few years and see how it all pans out. I readily recall the recent exuberance immediately following both the Holtz and Spurrier hires. Neither lived up to the hype and the main difference has been that more people watch the perpetually mediocre Gamecocks collapse each year than in the past. Hopefully Mr. Horn will indeed be the source of much needed change at the university.

The difference is neither Spurrier nor Holtz was an Eric Hyman hire, and the only thing that has been proved by their mediocrity at USC is that names don't get it done while the right fit might. The jury is still out on Spurrier and on Horn, but whereas I don't feel hopeful about Spurrier I have confidence in Horn. There will be disappointments, but he will get it done. BTW, there's a lot more going right for the Gamecocks on the court this season than Devon Downey. As incredible as he is, other players are stepping up like we could only dream about the last few seasons. When they played Clemson they hadn't even learned Horn's style yet, while Purnell was getting to be a seasoned CU coach. That's not to say I think we could beat CU now, but USC has to worry about USC and let CU worry about CU.

Archived