Jacksonville P&C Discussion Thread

bobliocatt

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The city needs to forget about doing another RFP on the Marble Bank trio. If Langton has a viable and reasonable proposal, just go with it. He was the second choice on the original RFP. It should be like the Miss America pageant,... if for any reason Miss America (Signet) cannot fulfil her duties, the first runner-up (Langton) will become Miss America. ;)

Time is of the essence, and Langton was the original pioneeer with downtown housing. He also wanted to do housing, not offices from the beginning. The DDA has finally seen the light on that. Better late than never I guess.

Not only will the buildings deteriorate, but momentum is being lost, these buildings were suppose to be under renovation by now. Keep the fire stoked!

Broward also wrote a book on Klutho's architecture that you can get through the Jax Historical Society (Barnes & Noble might have it too). I have a copy and I would definitely recommend it.

BTW, they've already began clearing the land at the Strand site.  They were even working in the rain this past Saturday morning.

That is the way it should be to get this project done. I practice in the rain, so they should be able to work in the rain. No need for sissies here! That is great news!

Looking through Lakelander's initial post on this thread, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about these proposed projects:

1) Ambassodor Hotel rehab

2) Old JEA Tower sale and condo project

I don't recall reading anything about these since the news first broke.

Lining up for lofts

Representatives for the Cesery Companies said this week that as units at the Lofts San Marco are finished, interested parties come calling. Formerly known as the South Jacksonville Grammar School, renovation efforts began just over a year ago. “We’ve had a really interesting mix come ask about the units,” a Cesery representative said. “From former students at the school, to out-of-towners who found out about us over the Internet. It’s really amazing.”

Located at 1450 Flagler St., the last of the 38 units should be ready by the end of the month and will feature granite counter tops, central heating and air and new laundry facilities. An on-site swimming pool and weight room are also nearing completion. Lead developer Bill Cesery said earlier this year that once finished, the residential community will become the company’s “flagship property.”

“We’ve made sure to do everything right on this,” he said. “It wasn’t easy, but we’re excited to let people see what we’ve done. We’re definitely getting there.”

Business Journal profiles Riverfront study by DVI

The BJJ has an interesting article on a recently completed study that they commissioned on the Riverfront/Riverwalk. Among other things, it suggests that shade trees should be used instead of so many Palm trees along the Riverwalk. I very strongly agree on that point. I know palm trees are tropical and "floridian", but oaks and other shade trees not only provide much needed shade, they help differentiate our area from South Florida.

This issue was raised in relation to the Bay Street Town Center. The plans call for removing the existing oaks and replacing them with Palms. That would be a needless waste of existing tree canopy and a big mistake IMO.

P.S. Berkman Plaza closed on three units last week, up from the usual 1-2.

Business Journal profiles Riverfront study by DVI

The BJJ has an interesting article on a recently completed study that they commissioned on the Riverfront/Riverwalk. Among other things, it suggests that shade trees should be used instead of so many Palm trees along the Riverwalk. I very strongly agree on that point. I know palm trees are tropical and "floridian", but oaks and other shade trees not only provide much needed shade, they help differentiate our area from South Florida.

This issue was raised in relation to the Bay Street Town Center. The plans call for removing the existing oaks and replacing them with Palms. That would be a needless waste of existing tree canopy and a big mistake IMO.

That was a pretty good article. I really agree with the part about most of the Southbank condo projects mostly catering to themselves, instead of working to come together to create a better urban atmosphere.

Both San Marco Place & The St. Johns Center plans seem to neglect the shared street frontage along Riverplace Blvd. With the right organized planning, these developments, along with the potential Radisson project, can go a long way for greatly enhancing the atmosphere along the Hendricks/Riverplace Blvd corridor.

Another interesting observation, was the part about the Landing expansion closing off Hogan Street's access and view to the riverfront. I still don't understand why a parking garage must be built, south of Water Street. The garage should be built at its original proposed site, the vacant site just north of Water St. and east of Hogan. It should be built to be large enough to support the parking needs of the Landing and whatever project (Westin or condos) that is also constructed on that site.

BTW, is there any chance of Sleiman redesigning the center to include an on-site movie theater? I think a theater would work well there, considering there aren't any new megaplexes on that side of the river.

Looking through Lakelander's initial post on this thread, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about these proposed projects:

1) Ambassodor Hotel rehab

2) Old JEA Tower sale and condo project

I don't recall reading anything about these since the news first broke.

There was a brief article, about two or three months ago, about the Ambassador Hotel, in Downtown This Week's Pulse section. It mentioned something about the owners being in the process of getting the plans approved for the project.

I haven't heard anything, about the old JEA Tower site. However, there is a sign saying the land is now under contract.

Hopefully we will here something soon about these projects and the Fidelity expansion. It would be great to see at least two of these under construction, by the end of the year.

^^I think that there was a developer interested in buying the current courthouse's property, and building a theater/retail/condo/hotel? thing there. I doubt that the Landing will get a theatre, mostly because of lack of space. But once the courthouse moves, we'll see what goes in its place. I hope that they also add a Skyway Station on Bay St, along with the movies/entertainment thing.

City to give buildings to Police and Fire Pension Fund

The Jacksonville Police and Fire Pension Fund plans to redevelop three downtown buildings after the properties are turned over to the fund from the City.

Mayor John Peyton announced plans Wednesday to give the three buildings at the corner of Laura and Forsyth streets to the pension fund as part of the city's normal contribution to the fund.

The properties - the Bisbee, Florida Life and Old Florida National Bank buildings - are worth an estimated $3 million. Both the city and pension fund officials want to see the Bisbee and Florida Life buildings turned into residential developments.

The desire to see the two buildings turned into apartments or condos was one of the reasons the city terminated a development agreement with Signet Development. Signet had planned commercial uses for all three buildings.

Pension fund officials say they will hire an advisor to help them develop a master plan for the properties. The pension fund board recently approved a plan to make additional investments in real estate, said John Keane, executive director-administrator of the pension fund. The fund developed and owns its headquarters building downtown on Main Street.

"This gives us an opportunity to put some of our members money back into the continued development of downtown," said Keane. "We were one of the early pioneers in downtown's redevelopment."

-----------------------------------------------

This news came as a surprise to me. I wasn't aware that the pension fund had the kind of development experience needed for such a project. To the best of my knowledge the only things to their credit are that 3 story office building on Main & Adams, and that hideous parking garage on Main. But regardless, at least the project is moving forward again. It's been getting very disheartening to see so many good downtown proposals die these past few years.

*shudders at the thought of the hideous parking garage....

Speaking of the ugly garage, it looks like it's going to get a much-needed facelift:

Pension Fund to upgrade parking garage

by J. Brooks Terry

Staff Writer

By early 2005, representatives from the Police and Fire Pension Fund say substantial upgrades to their downtown parking garage should be complete.

Bordering Main and Monroe streets, the Pension Fund owns and operates the garage, which Fund administrator John Keane said

Its good to see that the parking garage will be undergoing a facelift soon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

interesting news going on around downtown

from dowtownthisweek.com

"We hear the Landing is negotiating with a local pharmacy to set up shop there. It would be Downtown

Downtown really needs a pharmacy. Although, I think something along Adams would be a better location, this still complements the trend of residential growth within the downtown core. As long as it faces Water Street and near the main entrance, it shouldn't have a negative effect on the Landing's "cool factor".

Archived