Jacksonville P&C Discussion Thread

bobliocatt

I'm expecting to see at least 10-15 new bars or nightclubs open in downtown before the Super Bowl happens, especially along Bay Street. I just hope that there will be enough local interest in them after the game, so downtown's nightlife environment will continue to grow. But the impact that the game is having on downtown is definately a needed shot in the arm and is pulling in businesses that wouldn't come other wise.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1661 Riverside project designed as an urban village

34403_400.jpg

An artist's rendering of the proposed 1661 Riverside residential and retail development planned for Riverside Avenue. The residences will be priced from about $250,000 to about $660,000. Midland Development Group

City reviewers are looking over civil and landscape plans for the proposed $25 million 1661 Riverside residential and retail development planned along Riverside Avenue between Margaret and May streets.

The project is one of several developments completed, under way or planned along Riverside Avenue, a corridor of historic homes, trendy businesses, riverfront housing and medical facilities that leads into downtown.

Jacksonville-based Midland Development Group Inc. proposes a 90-unit town house and loft project along with 12,800 square feet of retail space and a four-level parking structure, plans filed with the city show.

Tripp Gulliford, Midland executive vice president, said Monday that construction could start in December and completed in March or April 2006.

The project is a block from the St. Johns River and next to Riverside Market Square, a retail and restaurant complex anchored by Publix Super Markets. A former medical building and two other buildings will be demolished and the 2-acre 1661 Riverside site rebuilt with the four-story project.

The 1661riverside.com Web site reports that the project is designed as an urban village and will comprise 69 lofts and 21 town houses. The two-story, two- and three-bedroom town houses range from 1,400 to 1,900 square feet in size and will be topped by two floors of lofts ranging from 1,000 to 1,600 square feet in size.

More lofts will go up above the retail space.

Residents also have access to concierge services, the garage parking, storage units and a private owners' rooftop lounge. Town houses include private courtyards and lofts include a terrace.

Gulliford said the residences are priced from about $250,000 to about $660,000. Lifestyles Realtors is the sales and marketing agent.

The development team comprises The Auchter Co. as contractor, Reynolds, Smith and Hills Inc. as the engineer and architect; and Richard Skinner and Associates Architects. Gulliford said Mercantile Bank provided the construction financing.

Gulliford said the market "is almost two different groups":

One group is empty-nesters "or people on the cusp of being empty nesters," he said. The other group is "a mix of singles and 30-somethings with no children."

"There's a fair amount of interest from people out of town and the Beaches as a second home," he added.

The retail space "will be primarily gauged toward higher-end soft goods, apparel, home furnishings and service establishments like banks," Gulliford said. There will no restaurants, he said, out of courtesy to second-floor dwellers who might not want a lot of foot traffic outside their units at night.

The four-story parking structure will sit in the middle of the almost triangular development.

Developers target courthouse lot

by Bradley Parsons

Staff Writer

A national developer is looking at downtown Jacksonville as a possible site for an affordable residential complex targeted at young professionals.

Former state House speaker and real estate consultant John Thrasher told Mayor John Peyton in a June 4 letter that he was bringing Churchill Development Group, of Lake Forest, Ill., to town Friday. Thrasher, a member of Smith, Hulsey and Busey law firm and president of Southern Strategy Group, said the group

Very interesting proposal. I would be interested in seeing the renderings of this company's Orlando project and it's projects in other cities. Since this would be built on the parking lot, it would at least be CONCIEVABLE that construction could start before the new courthouse is complete. Some other arrangement for parking might could be arranged. For instance, the Landing parking lot next to Adam's Mark could be used for a garage. Tony Sleiman is planning to put a garage topped with a 25 story building on that site eventually anyway. Perhaps the garage could be built now, and the building added later.

One thing to be very careful of here, is that if the parking lot is sold before the courthouse is vacated, that could limit the uses of the land underneath the courthouse itself. There needs to be a master plan for the entire courthouse property. And don't forget that this is a possible site for a new convention center. A convention center would require the entire courthouse property.

The article mentions that the developer is considering other downtown sites, I'm guessing the existing Haydon Burns library is one of them.

It will be interesting to see what pans out.

Riverside is Florida's largest historic district and one of Jacksonville's most vibrant urban neighborhoods. It began as a suburb of Jacksonville in 1868 and was annexed into town in 1887. Its just south of downtown, where I-95 crosses the St. Johns River (west side of river).

Here's a link to the Riverside photo thread.

Riverside/Avondale Historic District

Another great web site to check out is www.riverside-avondale.com

This is the site of the Riverside-Avondale Preservation organization. They are a very influential neighborhood association serving that area. They hold a home tour ever year as well as a arts festival and a christmas luminaria. They have key input on all zoning and development changes as well. Their site is a great resource for learning more about the neighborhood.

Riverside and its adjoining neighbor, Avondale have really incredible architecture. It is really getting "HOT" in terms of new development and renovations, in the last couple of years.

If you haven't seen it, you're in for a treat.

Business Journal mentions Coastal School of Law.

There is a brief mention in today's edition of the Business Journal about Florida Coastal School of Law. They are planning to buy/renovate or build a new campus. Downtown has been mentioned as a location. The article says that a location decision is expected by August 1. It also says that suburban and downtown locations are being considered.

I hope the city sees the wisdom of having this downtown. It would bring a synergy with the Federal and County courthouses. Plus it would probably bring a contingent of students at night that would patronize local restaurants and bars.

Also, Cannon Design has an ad with an "open letter" to Mayor Peyton and the citizens. Not much in it, just platitudes.

Interesting, I remember an article awile ago about the School of Law wanting to be downtown. For some reason I was under the assumption that this was a far of dream in the future. Hopefully, the city will persuade them to buy or build downtown. IMO, the idea thing would be to use the condensed KBJ plan for the courthouse and sell some of the extra land, from the Cannon design, to the school.

I thought of that too Lakelander. Unfortunately, with the high prices that the city paid for that land, it might be politically easier to sell/give the school some land in LaVilla instead. The article gave the impression that if the downtown options were too expensive, a suburban location might be chosen instead. Hopefully, we will know soon.

I hope the downtown deal works out. I think having a higher-learning institution downtown would bring a wonderful crowd down there. If they build in La Villa, I hope it's on land near Jefferson or Convention Center Skyway Stations. That would help give it more usage. For instance, students could take the Skyway from their dorms to Hemming Plaza to use the Main Library. Or they could use Lakelander's plan and build on unused land that the KBJ design won't need. By the way, is there any news on what's going on with the courthouse catastrophe?

I haven't heard anything else on the courthouse, I assume they're still in the process of trying to get the cost estimate completed for the KBJ plan.

Another possiblity, for the School, would be to lease or buy an existing building along Adams Street. The Ed Ball Building, the 7 story brick building across the street, and the old Furgott's(?) Department Store (corner of Adams/Hogan) might fit their needs, if a good parking situation can be worked out.

Hopefully the city will be willing to help the school find the best location for both parties.

The developers that want to build on the current courthouse site should implement a Skyway Station into their design. I drew a cool looking building for Bay St. where the courthouse is, and it had a Skyway station in it. There's like 3 possible stations they could add on this new route:

The courthouse site (station would be named after the development that will go there)

Shipyards Station (somewhere in the middle of that development, once it finally gets developed)

Veterans Memorial Station (a.k.a. Sports Complex Station, built across from the new Veteran's Wall Park)

I think that the Bay St. corridor is the most important downtown transit area. It's sad that the Skyway isn't already servicing that part of town, with the Super Bowl coming and all.

Archived