Five Points

mr. chips

WIS Nightcast just did a story on Five Points. They talked about the Chick-fil-a development, Walgreen's, a restaurant in one of the stand-alone buildings they're building next to Walgreen's, and an Apple store in the other stand-alone building they're building next to Walgreen's. Plus, a yogurt store and a nail salon are planned for the two-story building on Harden at Santee.

WIS Nightcast just did a story on Five Points. They talked about the Chick-fil-a development, Walgreen's, a restaurant in one of the stand-alone buildings they're building next to Walgreen's, and an Apple store in the other stand-alone building they're building next to Walgreen's. Plus, a yogurt store and a nail salon are planned for the two-story building on Harden at Santee.

I don't know about the bolded part of your statement. There is still no job listings for the store on Apple's website. Did WIS say they were definitely coming?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah... I have to say this, sorry... I think the sort of faux-Italian Revival design of the Walgreen's building with the lame roof turrets looks like crap. It'd be fine on Harbison or in the Northeast, but this isn't a Five Points-worthy design.

I Think it looks great for Five points it the perfect fit. at first i thought it was going to look crappy but it doesnt it fit Five points.

The people from the neighborhood will flip out again, just like they did with Five Points South, which would have had all of those things.

The only problem with underground work in Five Points is that its built over a swamp, so there is a creek running under there and lots of tunnels for stormwater.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The feature article in this week's Free Times is about Five Points and its current, as they say, "Identity Crisis." Interesting information in here about upcoming Five Points developments. I knew about the plans to turn Hardee's into Chick-Fil-A, but had no idea that the building housing PT's Cabaret was being turned into a Cook-Out drive-thru fast food restaurant. As a native North Carolinian, I do love Cook-Out, but that's not what I would have wanted to see there. Lots more in the article.

Wow, Cook Out is expanding to South Carolina? I've been saying for the longest time that they've been missing out by not doing so. I agree that I'd rather see them elsewhere, but they will certainly make a killing in that location.

It appears as though Five Points is now at the point where it's going through what every urban village that initially hosted local shops and boutiques faces: just how many chains to let in? What's the right mix? And even more important than that, you've got to preserve the urban feel and form of the district. I've long felt that Columbia wasn't strict enough with new development and can sometimes be too quick to approve things (unless a neighborhood group rises up in protest against it).

And here's how "Five Points South" is looking these days. An opportunity was certainly missed here:

cover1_web.JPG

I was in Columbia for Carolina's spring game, and as much as I hate to say it, this thing really doesn't look that bad. The architecture, while still somewhat generic, looks ok, and it has an ok street frontage. FPS would have still been much better, but this turned out ok. It certainly could have been much worse with the pharmacy being there.