Five Points

mr. chips

I was in Columbia for Carolina's spring game, and as much as I hate to say it, this thing really doesn't look that bad. The architecture, while still somewhat generic, looks ok, and it has an ok street frontage. FPS would have still been much better, but this turned out ok. It certainly could have been much worse with the pharmacy being there.

Even though I hate justifying stuff like this when there was an opportunity to do better, I largely agree. The buildings can legitimately be accessed from the street, which gives it somewhat of a redeeming urban quality.

Here are the plans for the Cook Out restaurant at the corner of Senate and Harden. The design looks decent with the building and pedestrian areas facing the street. The drive-thru configuration looks a little weird. Not sure how that's going to work out. I would have liked a structure with some more height in that area, but there are still parcels to be developed.

Board of Zoning Appeals

Edited by BrasilnSC

Also, is PT's Cabaret closing or just moving? I never went there, personally, but I think places like that create a richer, more cosmopolitan community and bolster Columbia's "blue dot in a sea of red" image.

From what I've heard, the owners are looking for an another location. Not sure where yet.

• 4 weeks later...

New businesses popping up in 5 Points: The State

From the article,

Recently opened: Walgreens, Qdoba, Pupcakes, Bohemian, Fruiti Cup, Urban Thread

Planned: Cookout, Chick-fil-A, BB&T, Five Points Nails & Spa, Pack Rats, Tic Toc Candy Shoppe and Pho-Viet

From my observations, the BB&T site is sitting empty with no activity. I hate it when developers do that. The Hardee's has been demolished and the pavement has been taken up. They are working on the Chick-fil-a site everyday. An existing building sitting between 5 Points Animal Clinic and Salty's (across from the new Chick-fil-a) is under renovations. A sign on the front window says it'll be the site of a furniture store.

Five Points seems to have a good mix of small businesses and chains, restaurants/bars and retail. The streetscape project may have run off a few businesses, but I think this article (and a visit to Five Points) will show that the project is paying off big time.

• 5 weeks later...

Here are the plans for the Cook Out restaurant at the corner of Senate and Harden. The design looks decent with the building and pedestrian areas facing the street. The drive-thru configuration looks a little weird. Not sure how that's going to work out. I would have liked a structure with some more height in that area, but there are still parcels to be developed.

Board of Zoning Appeals

It's going to be a Cookout Restaurant. See the proposed plans on the Board of Zoning Appeals link I posted above.

They also demolished the Bod Andrews building, which saddens me. I think the could have done some kind of adaptive reuse of that building. I don't think that parcels is part of the Cookout site.

• 4 weeks later...

Some 5 Pts updates:

- Insomniac Cookies is moving into the vacant space next to Jimmy Johns on Devine Street.

- Pho Viet should be opening up soon where Indian Pavilian used to be.....the decor inside is very colorful (mostly bright green), looks like a completely different place.

- The new Chick-fil-a is well underway with the actual building going up soon.

- The Bazaar building that housed The Firm and PT's Cabaret is completely gone.

I'll try and get some pictures this weekend.

Has anyone ever thought about Expanding 5 Points underground. into underground 5 Points! maybe somewhats further up form the underground river maybe further up harden street going towards the food lion and stuff?

I Can see something like this happening and it will be great for business but theres just one problem i know yall might see with this!. Parking!

Has anyone ever thought about Expanding 5 Points underground. into underground 5 Points! maybe somewhats further up form the underground river maybe further up harden street going towards the food lion and stuff?

I Can see something like this happening and it will be great for business but theres just one problem i know yall might see with this!. Parking!

Ummm, do you not realize that Five Points is in a valley and built over a creek?

Ummm, do you not realize that Five Points is in a valley and built over a creek?

uummmm didnt you realize that i said i understand theres a Underground river under 5 points Read it again so you can understand

Ummm...yeah...that's is...PARKING is the only problem there. LOL Five Points floods everytime we have a hard rain...so let's dig underground and put things there. LOL Wow...

Ummm why you had to Be sarcastic about it. how about you think before you speak because i said it in a nice why i didnt be Smart with you.

Parking is a big catch 22 issue to me. On the one hand I'm always glad to see cars packed into parking spaces in the city's entertainment districts, and that can seem like an inconvenience when I'm looking for a parking space. On the other hand it's never long at all (ever) before I scoot right into a parking space. If I have to walk a couple of blocks to where I'm going, so much the better; that makes me a pair of feet on the street (and sidewalk).

Before we even think about expanding 5 pts, the area needs to be completely built out. There are still some empty store fronts in the heart of 5 pts. And to the north, the entire section across from the Food Lion on Harden St , from College to Gervais, is quite run down and also sitting empty except for a couple of businesses (El Burrito, Hippawizee, Salty's). There is also vacant land next to the Exxon and across from it on Gervais St. Development needs to occur in all the areas I mentioned before anything else can take place.

Edited by BrasilnSC

Before we even think about expanding 5 pts, the area needs to be completely built out. There are still some empty store fronts in the heart of 5 pts. And to the north, the entire section across from the Food Lion on Harden St , from College to Gervais, is quite run down and also sitting empty except for a couple of businesses (El Burrito, Hippawizee, Salty's). There is also vacant land next to the Exxon and across from it on Gervais St. Development needs to occur in all the areas I mentioned before anything else can take place.

I Know! besides this idea its really far in the future. 5 POints is ok but need alot of work done to it before we think about expanding.I'm starting to think if any of my ideas will ever work. some of yall Sound like yall hate them. I mean i be happy with these ideas becuase i really have dreams of me succeeding in this stuff. and columbia being the Famously hot city and the New southern hot spot it should be.

I think you have to recognize that we all agree that we want Columbia to bigger and better, but you also have to recognize the practicality of some of your ideas. The idea itself is not bad, but the reality is that expanding Five Points underground would not be allowed because the Federal permitting process with the EPA to do ANYTHING involving a creek is very complicated, not to mention the difficulties of engineering a building to withstand the hydrostatic pressures of a creek and flooding, etc.

If Five Points were up on a hill, then it would be a different ballgame, not unlike Five Points in Atlanta (with Underground Atlanta).

• 1 month later...