Film production in SBC

I suck.. I have no idea who that guy is????

Andre Braugher (pictured below) was the star of the FX TV series Thief which was made in Shreveport-Bossier immediately following Hurricane Katrina, and aired in 2006. He's actually become quite a famous actor in the past few years.

PH2006032701590.jpg

And here's a shot of just his face:

Braugher_JC88095670_150x200.jpg

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also has been in "City of Angels", starring meg ryan and nicholas cage, "Glory", with matthew broderick, denzel washington, and morgan freeman, and one of the NBC police shows (i think homicide).

I forgot all about City of Angels! That was one of the first movies I ever saw him in.

I thought Homeland Security was the only movie recently made here which was supposed to be set here as well. As it turns out, an early review of Premonition says that this movie, starring Sandra Bullock, was also SET in Shreveport.

I'll be seeing this movie very soon...

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/703160342

For the movie "The Mist", they have built a grocery store set inside the StageWorks soundstage. They modeled the store after "Toms Market" in Vivian, LA.

Here's some night pictures I took last time I was in Vivian.

http://tinyurl.com/24fx7c

http://tinyurl.com/28r2ej

http://tinyurl.com/29yc5b

Here's some pics from a Vivian native. You can see they changed the name of the store to "The Food House" and built a drugstore storefront in the parking lot.

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/sterry2087/

Hey everybody, it appears that The Shreveport Airport Authority is looking into adding a direct flight to Los Angeles because of our film industry. In the article they note that they are sending out questionnaires about adding service. To request a questionnaire contact the Shreveport Airport Authority at (318) 673-5370 or the Greater Shreveport Chamber of Commerce at (318) 677-2500. The questionnaire also is gauging interest in direct flights to cities such as San Diego, San Francisco, New York, Boston and Washington, D.C. I know that I am going to be requesting it, hopefully others out there will to. Stephen, I know this would probably help you to get back home more often, as it would help my wife to do the same. Thanks to everyone who requests it and returns it!

Movie industry wants direct flight to L.A.

Hey everybody, it appears that The Shreveport Airport Authority is looking into adding a direct flight to Los Angeles because of our film industry. In the article they note that they are sending out questionnaires about adding service. To request a questionnaire contact the Shreveport Airport Authority at (318) 673-5370 or the Greater Shreveport Chamber of Commerce at (318) 677-2500. The questionnaire also is gauging interest in direct flights to cities such as San Diego, San Francisco, New York, Boston and Washington, D.C. I know that I am going to be requesting it, hopefully others out there will to. Stephen, I know this would probably help you to get back home more often, as it would help my wife to do the same. Thanks to everyone who requests it and returns it!

Movie industry wants direct flight to L.A.

It seems we gain 1-2 new direct flights to more US cities every year. Every one that is added is another plus for Shreveport Regional.

It seems we gain 1-2 new direct flights to more US cities every year. Every one that is added is another plus for Shreveport Regional.

Woo Hoo! I already called and requested the questionaire. The lady told me it would also be available online tomorrow. I hope this happens, not only for the convenience, but a direct flight would be cheaper than a connecting flight which costs be about $400+ each time I visit.

Thanks for posting that jcasey :thumbsup: I was going to post this myself. Shreveport has really been impressive with all the production going on.

Maybe Bossier CC can start to train more people in this growing film production field. BRCC and others will have to take advantage of this opportunity. Other states are taking notice of Louisiana's generous tax incentives and may be about to begin the "copy-cat" game. As of now there are not enough people trained in the field with all the proposed studio's coming soon.

Thanks for posting that jcasey :thumbsup: I was going to post this myself. Shreveport has really been impressive with all the production going on.

Maybe Bossier CC can start to train more people in this growing film production field. BRCC and others will have to take advantage of this opportunity. Other states are taking notice of Louisiana's generous tax incentives and may be about to begin the "copy-cat" game. As of now there are not enough people trained in the field with all the proposed studio's coming soon.

Thanks for posting, Richy.

Actually BPCC is leading the way in this area, as far as the film industry goes. That school has Shreveport-Bossier's leading telecommunications course. Recently a group from Los Angeles visited the BPCC campus to see what all they had going, and they said they were extremely impressed because BPCC actually had more movie-related technology than most schools in Los Angeles, or even California for that matter.

Thanks for posting, Richy.

Actually BPCC is leading the way in this area, as far as the film industry goes. That school has Shreveport-Bossier's leading telecommunications course. Recently a group from Los Angeles visited the BPCC campus to see what all they had going, and they said they were extremely impressed because BPCC actually had more movie-related technology than most schools in Los Angeles, or even California for that matter.

yeah he's right.. I've been taking a photography class at BPCC at night.. Ive had the tour of the equipment.. they have the most advanced media center in the region! the prof told us.. whatever they need they get! very very very nice stuff.. he said that crews from California are shocked at the things BPCC have.. they say they don't even have this stuff!

bpcc is also getting a direct sat link to CNN which means theyre getting raw footage.. only like 12 other places in the the whole us get it!

yeah he's right.. I've been taking a photography class at BPCC at night.. Ive had the tour of the equipment.. they have the most advanced media center in the region! the prof told us.. whatever they need they get! very very very nice stuff.. he said that crews from California are shocked at the things BPCC have.. they say they don't even have this stuff!

My brother took that course back long before the film industry came to this area, and even back then they had a good course. I believe the instructor there is Larry Powell, am I correct? My brother loved Powell's class and said he truly does care about his students and wants to see them have the technology needed to learn.

• 2 weeks later...

Check this out... My sister said she spotted Michael Clarke Duncan eating at the Applebee's in Shreveport (Bert Kouns)... in the booth directly behind her. I wonder what project he's working on?

Damn that would be awesome. When I lived in southeast Shreveport I ate at that Applebee's a few times. Very cool.

Lately, I've been seeing some yellow movie signs with the letters, "MWP." Anyone have a clue what movie production this is?

There are currently 4 active productions in the SBC region as far as I know, and I don't even have a clue about this one. I saw some signs on Bert Kouns today that said MWP right beside the ones that said TBM, which obviously means The Better Man.

FYI... the movie industry hasn't shown any signs of slowing down in Shreveport-Bossier. If anything, it's getting hotter! I know of at least 5 major movies that are filming right now in Shreveport-Bossier, and they are:

The Great Debaters

The Better Man

Mad Money

For Sale By Owner

Stephen King's The Mist

That's incredible... five films at once? How many other cities in this country besides LA have that kind of production traffic? Any news on how the workforce is growing locally?

I really don't know how well the workforce is growing, but there are lots of job fairs and classes trying to help grow this specialized workforce.

And yes, when I thought about it... 5 films at once. That's far and beyond anyone's wildest expectations at the time when the industry was here "just visiting" after Katrina. And that's all I can think of. I still don't think anyone has figured out what the signs saying "MWP" mean. This could possibly be a sixth film that I just can't think of right now.

And the stars... we've got in the area right now, Denzel Washington, Queen Latifah, Diane Keaton, Katie Holmes, Tom Cruise, Ted Danson, Michael Clarke Duncan, Andre Braugher, Martin Lawrence, Kris Kristofferson, Forrest Sawyer, Skeet Ulrich, James Keane, etc... and that's just the ones I can think of right off!!

Plus, we have a local girl competing on The Bachelor, and Disney's Meet the Robinsons, which is the project of Shreveport author William Joyce who also created the very popular children's book and cartoon Rolie Polie Olie.

Archived