Film production in SBC

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three existing movie studios and one large wave tank. Yet two more studios are in the works by production companies.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/706250308

It's great, but I have to ask... how much is too much? I suppose only time will tell.

I think it's great... I'd rather have too much, than not enough, or none at all.

I think it's great... I'd rather have too much, than not enough, or none at all.

Good point!

And of course it's the production companies' and investors' money, not public money... so it's their loss if it's unsuccessful. Besides, if it works out, think of the possibilities production-wise. BPCC has already impressed a Los Angeles-based film college because of the film technology BPCC has compared to what they have... and they're in Los Angeles! BPCC has top-of-the-line technology to teach with, so the possibilities from the telecommunications side are endless locally.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The proposed studio development sounds really cool. Now I wish the city hadn't expropriated that land next to Municipal, because this huge studio project COULD truly help push forward the FAME foundation's huge plans for a music-related tourism district centered around the Municipal.

However I personally don't see any decent people ever staying in a hotel in Ledbetter Heights, and I don't see any developer being willing to invest millions in a hotel right there despite Millennium Films' multi-million dollar studio development being planned there.

Also, for those who may have missed this article.... THIS is what the local fim industry truly needs, more support services. I'm very glad this Los Angeles-based businessman has moved his venture here... that's great news.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...80336/1002/NEWS

That article mentions several new industry-related companies moving to Shreveport.

"Joining TurnKey Louisiana at Stage West is Entertainment Partners, which professes to be the largest payroll services company in the entertainment industry."

I remember EP from my years working in Hollywood. They are huge... I'm so impressed they're opening an office in Shreveport. Unreal.

The proposed studio development sounds really cool. Now I wish the city hadn't expropriated that land next to Municipal, because this huge studio project COULD truly help push forward the FAME foundation's huge plans for a music-related tourism district centered around the Municipal.

However I personally don't see any decent people ever staying in a hotel in Ledbetter Heights, and I don't see any developer being willing to invest millions in a hotel right there despite Millennium Films' multi-million dollar studio development being planned there.

This is urban renewal at its finest

Even more details, from today's Times, in regards to Millennium Films' studio development...

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/708120333

This article mentions Los Angeles Center studios as a model for the new Millenium studios in downtown Shreveport. I live 2 short blocks from LA Center Studios and I can say that it has absolutely ZERO impact on the surrounding neighborhood as far as ancillary amenities go. The area of downtown LA that I live in is called City West, and while it's booming with new skyscrapers and retail, it has nothing do with the studio's presence - mostly because it operates as an island in the neighborhood with fencing and security posts on all sides. Although I can see where having that new employment base (from the studio) in downtown Shreveport might encourage adjacent developments, I hope it doesn't become anything like LA Center Studios.

The fourth installment of the Times' series on the movie industry...

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/708150331

Wow, what a construction boom! I hope all of these infrasture projects come to fruition, at least to some degree. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't, considering Shreveport's (and Louisiana's) steady industry growth. Over the last year while Baton Rouge and NO were getting all the studio proposals, I wondered why Shreveport was getting little attention, even with its production activity - now we're playing catch up.

Phase 1 motion approved by the Shreveport city council...

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/708150337

There seems to be overwhelming support from the city, production company and even the local residents. This project's a shoe in - and should be! I see downtown's east side redevelopment getting a huge kick in the ass to balance what's happening along the riverfront. I hope someone sees the value in that strip of cool Texas Street buildings near Municipal Auditorium. The area already has a good foundation for becoming unique and eclectic.

By the way, did I miss something about that last line of the article mentioning pants worn below the waist? Huh??

By the way, did I miss something about that last line of the article mentioning pants worn below the waist? Huh??

The city council is mulling over a city ordinance to ban pants sagging. A similar one was adopted in Mansfield a few days ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived