Film production in SBC

I am up late tonight and caught something cool on tv. The re-air of The Tonight Show from last Wednesday, January 24th, with Sienna Miller is on. She was talking about her new movie, Factory Girl. I caught the end of the interview. They ran a clip and then Jay asked her where it was filmed, and of course she named Shreveport. She also mentioned that she had fun here and how it was great being in a small place. I guess it's just a little more national recognition for Shreveport.

Very cool. I've heard numerous times that filming in a city like Shreveport is easier, since it's much smaller than cities like Los Angeles and New York. Rather than 1 scene per day, they can shoot on average 2 scenes per day.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin Lawrence to film a comedy in Shreveport, called The Better Man, beginning March 19!! :)

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/70201014

An excerpt from the article:

"The area was chosen over Baton Rouge and New Orleans because of the availability of locations, infrastructure and crew."

SAY WHAT!?!? This time last year, they would have been saying we lacked the infrastructure and crew. We've made HUGE strides over the past year.

The momentum keeps building and building! Great news. This weekend I went to a newstand and bought the Winter 2007 issue of MovieMaker magazine so you guys can read the article about Shreveport/Bossier City making the Top 10 list (2 pgs). The list looks at the best cities for independent filmmakers to live and work based on a variety of key factors, such as infrastructure, incentives, locations, education and film organizations. The magazine also interviews hundreds of actors, producers directors, writers, etc to name the top 10. Shreveport beat out larger cities like Memphis, Miami, Portland, Salt Lake City, Seattle, Tuscon, and Cleveland - all of which have a filmmaking scene. This is great news for the city.

376952823_cb796e5495_b.jpg

376952825_605f2a7d6c_b.jpg

That's really cool. I'm glad the area has developed a good infrastructure to support this new industry and hope the local film industry continues to prosper. I never would've guessed this type of thing would come to Shreveport.

And it's always nice to see the area on a good list instead of a bad one

That's really cool. I'm glad the area has developed a good infrastructure to support this new industry and hope the local film industry continues to prosper. I never would've guessed this type of thing would come to Shreveport.

And it's always nice to see the area on a good list instead of a bad one

No kidding! Katrina was a horrible, HORRIBLE disaster... I can't say that enough. But I still think, for the SBC area, it was a blessing in disguise. I hate saying it like that, but that's really the only way I can think to describe it. We wouldn't have developed a film scene here so rapidly if not for Katrina, but I'm glad we've gotten to the point we're at.

And yes, it's awesome to be on a good list for a change. :)

The momentum keeps building and building! Great news. This weekend I went to a newstand and bought the Winter 2007 issue of MovieMaker magazine so you guys can read the article about Shreveport/Bossier City making the Top 10 list (2 pgs). The list looks at the best cities for independent filmmakers to live and work based on a variety of key factors, such as infrastructure, incentives, locations, education and film organizations. The magazine also interviews hundreds of actors, producers directors, writers, etc to name the top 10. Shreveport beat out larger cities like Memphis, Miami, Portland, Salt Lake City, Seattle, Tuscon, and Cleveland - all of which have a filmmaking scene. This is great news for the city.

Awesome. Thanks, Stephen, for taking time out of your busy day in a city where movie making has always been part of the experience to pick up this magazine and post the article. Your affinity for this region makes me more proud to call it home.

I found this website for the Louisiana Wave Studio:

http://www.thelouisianawavestudio.com

Under the About Us section, the website mentions the wave studio is actually being expanded in two additional phases. No details given.

There's also a very cool video of the wave studio in action:

http://www.thelouisianawavestudio.com/video.html

I went to see Factory Girl tonight. Decent movie... Guy Pearce is amazing. Thely definitely shot some exteriors in NYC, but I spotted many downtown Shreveport streetscapes doubling as NYC. SBC should be proud!

Awesome! Too bad it was set in NYC, but the fact that it was made here is awesome. So it was just "decent," huh? I wish I could see it. Perhaps when it comes out on DVD, assuming it will?

An editorial article from Alexandyr Kent in today's Times:

Movies are good for local businesses, jobs

One thing that Shreveport has to continue to build is it's local film industry workforce. The demand is so high and there are so few skilled workers available. I hope the workforce will continue to grow to nuture the film industry so that it becomes permenant. People need to act fast!

OK, NOW we're talking!! The trailer for Mr. Brooks is out:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/mgm/mrbrooks/

Not only does the movie look great, but it really showcases the city well! Several scenes downtown.

Sweet! Looks cool as hell.

I wasn't able to get it to play from that site, but I was able to find it on YouTube here.

• 2 weeks later...

Samuel L. Jackson will be on Letterman this Friday night. According to an attorney from Lafayatte who was in the audience for the taping of the show, Jackson praised Shreveport-Bossier and spoke more about the city than his new movie, Black Snake Moan, which he was on the show to plug. The attorney mentioned Jackson gave great exposure to Shreveport-Bossier and Louisiana in general.

The Lafayette attorney is quoted in the article as having said, "I think all Shreveport residents would enjoy watching it and seeing the positive press given to Louisiana and Shreveport.

• 2 weeks later...

Millennium Films has almost committed to filming at least three more movies in Shreveport once Samuel L. Jackson's 'Cleaner' wraps! They said it's not 100% official yet, but it looks like it will be.

It looks like Queen Latifah's Mad Money will be the first one, followed by My Beautiful Mistake and The Poison Rose over the next couple of months. This will mean that, by April, Millennium will have worked on at least 5 features in Shreveport-Bossier for 2007, not counting the other production companies that are currently filming here right now.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/70301022

Mo movie noos.... ;)

Katie Holmes will join Queen Latifah and Diane Keaton in Mad Money, to be filmed in Shreveport-Bossier.

Also, Denzel Washington is scouting rural Shreveport-Bossier, most notably the towns of Mansfield and Grand Cane, for a movie called The Great Debaters. The movie is based on a 1930s-era debate team from Wiley College in Marshall, TX, which is located about 30 miles west of Shreveport. In my opinion this is the most logical area in which to film a movie based in Marshall, TX, since that town has become a bedroom community to Shreveport-Bossier over the past decade.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/703020338

My family and I were walking up to Barnes and Nobles after church, and guess who walks in front of us to open the door... Andre Braugher. He was doing his best to "blend in" and was very dressed down in appearance. I thought about striking up a quick conversation, but i didn't want to bother him and act like a little school girl in the process. That being said... it was still pretty cool.

My family and I were walking up to Barnes and Nobles after church, and guess who walks in front of us to open the door... Andre Braugher. He was doing his best to "blend in" and was very dressed down in appearance. I thought about striking up a quick conversation, but i didn't want to bother him and act like a little school girl in the process. That being said... it was still pretty cool.

Aw man!!!! I never have this kind of luck. You know I've never been one of those "starstruck" people, but I must admit it would be awesome to run into a major movie/TV star in some random place like Kroger or Barnes & Noble!! I'm with you, though... best to just let them be. Or maybe a quick "Hello!" with a starstruck, goofy look on your face. :D That way he knows that you realize who he is, but he also knows you were nice enough not to bother him.

I haven't been into B&N in a couple of months... maybe I need to go back more often! :D

'Harold & Kumar 2' cast, crew to host public fundraising party for Carol Trevino at Artspace in downtown Shreveport.

The party will take place between 5 and 7 p.m. and will be open to the public. A $10 donation will be requested at the door.

Artspace is located at 710 Texas St. in downtown Shreveport.

Cast and filmmakers will be present at the party.

http://louisianamovies.blogspot.com/2007/0...ost-public.html

'Harold & Kumar 2' cast, crew to host public fundraising party for Carol Trevino at Artspace in downtown Shreveport.

The party will take place between 5 and 7 p.m. and will be open to the public. A $10 donation will be requested at the door.

Artspace is located at 710 Texas St. in downtown Shreveport.

Cast and filmmakers will be present at the party.

http://louisianamovies.blogspot.com/2007/0...ost-public.html

Welcome to Urban Planet, RockyMount! Am I to assume you live in the area of Rocky Mount, Bossier Parish?

Thanks for posting this. For those who don't know, Carol Trevino was a crewmember working on Harold & Kumar 2. Trevino was killed in a car accident south of Shreveport recently. I have no connection to this industry or this production, but this story still bothered me to read. She was just doing her job, which proves that any of us could go at any time. We just never know.

Looks like Jerry Maguire, aka, Tom Cruise will be joining Kate Holmes while in the SBC.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/70307023

Yep. Though I don't like him... or her... those are yet two more names to one day be able to say, "Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes lived in Shreveport-Bossier for a while in 2007."

I suck.. I have no idea who that guy is????

Archived