South Carolina & Ethanol

Jerseyman4

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well during WWII when gas rationing was in effect, my grandfather, who was a moonshiner during prohibition, got his still out and brewed up some 199 proof "mountain dew". He then mixed this with the little gasoline that he could get with the gas stamps alloted to him and used the resulting mixture to run his Ford truck and tractor for his farm in Lancaster. He used corn which he grew on the farm so it did indeed work for him and this was over 60 years ago. I am sure he would be amused, if he were around today, at the discussions over alternative fuels.

Not Ethanol, but Spinx has started pumping some of the bio diesel made from soy. The fuel is made in the Upstate and has some great potential as a viable alternative fuel.

I would like to use this! I know it's out there for us, but can it go in anything?

Biodiesel can be used in any car with a diesel engine. Granted diesel vehicles are not that common here now, but they make up something like 55% of the cars sold in Europe. Even manufacturers like Honda make a diesel Accord for Europe. The other advantage of diesel are they get much higher mileage, some say even better than hybrids which have a lot of hype surrounding them.

Right now you are pretty much limited to VW, Mercedes, and the Jeep Liberty for diesel options. (GM & Ford make diesel trucks, but I would not recommend them for day to day transportation as they are so large they still use a lot of fuel.)

Biodiesel can be used in any car with a diesel engine. Granted diesel vehicles are not that common here now, but they make up something like 55% of the cars sold in Europe. Even manufacturers like Honda make a diesel Accord for Europe. The other advantage of diesel are they get much higher mileage, some say even better than hybrids which have a lot of hype surrounding them.

Right now you are pretty much limited to VW, Mercedes, and the Jeep Liberty for diesel options. (GM & Ford make diesel trucks, but I would not recommend them for day to day transportation as they are so large they still use a lot of fuel.)

thanks for clearing this up monsoon!

Well during WWII when gas rationing was in effect, my grandfather, who was a moonshiner during prohibition, got his still out and brewed up some 199 proof "mountain dew". He then mixed this with the little gasoline that he could get with the gas stamps alloted to him and used the resulting mixture to run his Ford truck and tractor for his farm in Lancaster. He used corn which he grew on the farm so it did indeed work for him and this was over 60 years ago. I am sure he would be amused, if he were around today, at the discussions over alternative fuels.

haha, thats cool. I think there was an episode of the Dukes of Hazard about that :)

• 3 months later...

South Carolina ranks at the top across the Southeast in gas stations offering drivers alternative fuels. About 35 stations offer E85. Only six other states nationwide have more E85 stations. Also, Greenville ranks second nationwide, behind Austin, in cities offering B20, a blend of 80 percent diesel and 20 percent biodiesel, usually made from soybeans.

Unlike biodiesel, which can run any diesel engine, E85 goes only in

Here are a few facts about ethanol in this state:

• South Carolina ranks at the top across the Southeast in gas stations offering drivers alternative fuels.

• Greenville ranks second nationwide, behind Austin, Texas, in cities offering B20, a blend of 80 percent diesel and 20 percent biodiesel, usually made from soybeans, according to the National Biodiesel Board.

• Last summer, the (Greenville-based) Spinx station in Greer, S.C., became the first truck stop on the East Coast to offer B20, according to the biodiesel board. A year later, 35 of his South Carolina stores offer B20 and 18 offer E85.

• The state's first biodiesel processor opened in Greenville County in March.

One of many sources

Pumpers in Greenville has all E10 in its tanks.

I was just there the other day.. its like 10 cents cheaper than all the other stations and that makes me happy!! :D

So if you get E10, its 10 cents cheaper but if you fill up with E85 (of course, if you car can run on it), is it 85 cents cheaper? :rofl:

Archived